Players Retiring After The World cup 2011 Informations:-Tait

^He will never play for India but he will definitely be faster than any of their bowlers at 50 ;)

He will retire now. Then he will come out of retirement and play for India and be their fastest bowler at the age of 50.
He'll come out of retirement and play for Bangladesh and be their fastest bowler at the age of 70. May also be named as their skipper.

^ Lols :thumbs I love how things are spicing up between supporters of India and Bangladesh here at PC and elsewhere.

I am really having a good feeling...This world cup can be the best of his career...Akhtar can damage the top class teams such as AUS,INDIA

Last World cup for Murlitharan,Wish you best of luck

attachment.php

Sri Lankan spin-bowling wizard Muttiah Muralitharan said on Friday that he will retire from all forms of cricket after February’s ICC World Cup.

“This World Cup will be my last outing,” said the record-breaking spinner after a training session in Colombo. “I am retiring totally from international cricket thereafter.”

The esteemed event, to be jointly hosted by three Test playing nations of subcontinent- India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh- gets underway on 19 February, 2011.

The 38-year-old holds the record for being the leading wicket taker in both Test and one-day cricket.

Having played 133 Tests, Murali picked up 800 wickets at an average of 22.72 including 67 five-wicket hauls and 22 ten wickets in a match. He played his swansong Test match against India in Galle in July 2010 in which he crossed 800-wicket mark by dismissing Pragyan Ojha.

His one-day record is equally impressive where he has claimed 517 scalps from 339 appearances including 10 five-wicket hauls and best bowling figures of 7 for 30.

Muralitharan said that his focus for the time being is the quadrennial tournament which would be his fourth World Cup since debuting in 1996 World Cup which Sri Lanka won after defeating Australia in Lahore. The legendary spinner was confident his last World Cup outing will be evenly memorable as was the opening.

“This is my fourth World Cup. We won in 1996 and came close in 2007 by reaching the final. This would be a memorable one for me and for Sri Lankan fans,” he said.

The Sri Lankan spin prodigy said he had no plans of coaching any time soon after retirement and will instead play in domestic tournaments of various countries.

“There are plenty of coaches and lots of talented people out there. I will take things as they come. For the moment, no coaching stints,” said Murali. “I have signed up to play for two years in the IPL. I am also looking at similar work in New Zealand and perhaps England,” added the off-spinner.

The mega event starts in Dhaka on 19 February, 2011 and will run till 2 April. Sri Lanka is scheduled to host 12 World Cup fixtures and three of them will be played at the newly constructed stadium in Muralitharan's home district, Kandy.

Attachments

• 117muraDM_486x548.jpg
    117muraDM_486x548.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 761
Last edited:
The Sri Lankan spin prodigy said he had no plans of coaching any time soon after retirement and will instead play in domestic tournaments of various countries.
I thought there was something about him coaching australia's spinners recently?

anyway, legend. will enjoy watching him bowl one more time.

I think brett lee will call it a day after this world cup. jayasuriya and vaas didn't make the SL team but they have a slim chance of going as replacements, so I dunno if that counts, but their official announcements will probably come along in the aftermath of the world cup.

chanderpaul is a possibility too, he's got nothing left to aim for.

Sachin Tendulkar ,anyone ?

I think ,irrespective of the fact whether India wins the Cup or not, it is high time that he left. I certainly for one, do not wish to see him around in the team for the 2015 version. If he stays till then, the signs are clear that he would be a liability on the team.

Sachin will surely retire from ODI's. He has made it clear even without telling it by skipping most odi series last year, just to be injury-free for world cup. Also I think that he might retire from all forms of cricket after the series down under during the end of the year.

Just ODI's though - will still be around where it matters, the Test arena. This will be the final farewell for show-stoppers like Akhtar and Lee; and absolute legends like Murali and Chanderpaul.

We are forgetting one of the All-time greatest players- Ricky Ponting. Has received a lot of criticism of late and will in most likely-hood quit the game after the Cup. I surely don't wanna see Clarke captaining when Ricky is still in the team.

Kallis may retire as well to prolong his test career. I hope not but there is a good chance of that happening later.

He will retire now. Then he will come out of retirement and play for India and be their fastest bowler at the age of 50.

Lol Mac has been on fire these last few days.

But remember "It's not all about pace" Zaheer only balling 130s and he number 1 ballar and take all wickets for India! Chak De India!

"Ballar" HA!

@ Main Topic: Murali's news has been overshadowed by Sachin's. But I feel he will have a better farewell. Will Ponting retire too? I can't see Kallis retiring. Who else left? Lee? Too bad Nannes is not here. If he was still with Neth. he could've played his last WC.

(And people still call me Mac! :noway)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread