England Team Discussion

I disagree. I think it would come at the expense of the batting. In that team, Ali would barely bowl. Therefore he'd have to hold down a place as one of the best 7 batsmen in the country. He certainly isn't that.

Also, I think Stokes is a good test bowler currently, but will soon be a brilliant bowler.

Who does it come at the expense of, though? James Taylor (Test ave: 26), Alex Hales (Test ave: 17), Adam Lyth (Test ave: 20) Sam Robson (Test ave: 30), Jos Buttler (Test ave: 30) or even Compton (Test ave: 31). The only one who's really banging the door down is Ballance, and he'd arguably make the side.

I'm not saying that Moeen Ali is one of the best seven or even best 20 batsmen in the country, just that if none of them are significantly better he may as well make the team.

Who does it come at the expense of, though? James Taylor (Test ave: 26), Alex Hales (Test ave: 17), Adam Lyth (Test ave: 20) Sam Robson (Test ave: 30), Jos Buttler (Test ave: 30) or even Compton (Test ave: 31). The only one who's really banging the door down is Ballance, and he'd arguably make the side.

I'm not saying that Moeen Ali is one of the best seven or even best 20 batsmen in the country, just that if none of them are significantly better he may as well make the team.

I would say that Taylor, Bell, Ballance and Vince are significantly better than Ali, and would score a lot more runs over a substantial period of time, batting at 7.

Then there are guys like Hildreth, Malan, Roy, Hain, Bopara and Leaning who are marginally better.

Fair enough. If I were to pick a player from outside the current pool of players, Malan would be the one for me. But as someone who firmly believes in selecting two spinners whenever possible, I'll stick with my eleven

Fair enough. If I were to pick a player from outside the current pool of players, Malan would be the one for me. But as someone who firmly believes in selecting two spinners whenever possible, I'll stick with my eleven

Yep. I hope Malan gets a gig if Hales and Compton don't work out.

Surprised to hear that Steven Finn claims he told selectors he was fit for world t20. Sounds like he was just dropped rather than out through injury. Perhaps management didn't want to take a risk in him breaking down, but after the way Topley bowled in SA, it might've been worth the risk.

I was pretty sure that once James Vince turned down the IPL opportunity, that the ECB had told him to score county runs and the number 3 spot was his. I'm even more sure now that he's promoted himself to 3 in the Hampshire batting lineup after batting at 4 and 5 for most of his career. Hope he does well.

I really doubt that the ECB or a selector ever gives someone and ring and lets them know that if they score a few runs, the position in the side is theirs. But at the same time, it's obvious that there are places up for grabs in the top order, so it's a smart move from Vince to position himself in that place in the order. It's pointless him getting plenty batting at 5 if he wants to push his claims as a Number 3, so I like it. It's a brave move, but a smart one too. Probably needs more runs than today though. ;)

I really doubt that the ECB or a selector ever gives someone and ring and lets them know that if they score a few runs, the position in the side is theirs. But at the same time, it's obvious that there are places up for grabs in the top order, so it's a smart move from Vince to position himself in that place in the order. It's pointless him getting plenty batting at 5 if he wants to push his claims as a Number 3, so I like it. It's a brave move, but a smart one too. Probably needs more runs than today though. ;)

I'd be surprised if Whittaker didn't make those types of phone calls. Perhaps not directly to the player, but certainly to their county coach.

You can't help but feel sorry for him. His international career was just about to start again and now this illness. Hope he gets well soon.

Devestating news, although it does open the england door even more, i think they might go back to bell now, he scored a large ton this week and brings experience

Think team for Headingley will be:

1. Cook
2. Compton
3. Hales
4. Root
5. Ballance
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Ali
9. Broad
10. Finn
11. Anderson

Would rather have Bell and Vince in for Hales and Ballance, but will still be far too strong for Sri Lanka.

Think team for Headingley will be:

1. Cook
2. Compton
3. Hales
4. Root
5. Ballance
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Ali
9. Broad
10. Finn
11. Anderson

Would rather have Bell and Vince in for Hales and Ballance, but will still be far too strong for Sri Lanka.
:eng: first match when ?

Users who are viewing this thread