Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Wahab's 2015 spell against Australia is highly overrated.

As @pillowprocter mentioned I’d go with Wagner and Vettori as the spinner. Cairns for the all-rounder.

7 Cairns
8 Hadlee
9 Vettori
10 Southee
11 Boult
You could throw Wagner in too by moving everyone up one spot. Wagner might pip Southee for me because he offers something a little different. But I think Southee is actually pretty underrated.

But I think Southee is actually pretty underrated.
He was just a guy who could swing it one way for most of his career, right? He was good at it, but I think he's a pretty limited cricketer who has only gotten this many wickets because he is the most capped NZ pacer ever. He's good, not as good as Wagner, Boult or Bond imo

7 Cairns
8 Hadlee
9 Vettori
10 Southee
11 Boult
You could throw Wagner in too by moving everyone up one spot. Wagner might pip Southee for me because he offers something a little different. But I think Southee is actually pretty underrated.

You’re grossly underestimating what Wagner did by calling it a ‘little different’. :p

I’d have him up there as one of the most unique pacers in test cricket over the last decade or two. It wouldn’t even be remiss to call him the forefather of the short ball barrage that has become all the rage recently and unlike the recent proponents who needed an entire attack to do it… the man did it all alone by himself. Southee is underrated to an extent but I’d say Wagner pips him comfortably for me.

I can think of a few former players that would qualify, certainly if Tamim Iqbal is included. :lol

Tamim’s inclusion was because his T20 stats benefitted from farming in the BPL every year if I’m right.

A sign of true quality
Unironically kinda yeah? The BPL is consistently the hardest T20 league for its batters, though how much of that is down to good bowling, how much is down to strange facilities, and how much is due to poor batting is certainly a debate.

But if you were just a nerd with a spreadsheet, a strong BPL showing would be highly prized.

Unironically kinda yeah? The BPL is consistently the hardest T20 league for its batters, though how much of that is down to good bowling, how much is down to strange facilities, and how much is due to poor batting is certainly a debate.

But if you were just a nerd with a spreadsheet, a strong BPL showing would be highly prized.
I could make a case he's fighting it out with Nasir Jamshed for place in the Top six openers in BPL history but not a master of three formats.

1701250964658.png

England's red jersey's are the worst. It doesn't suit them at all.
Bruh the England red jerseys are my favourite The 2016 and 2018 t20 kits esp. not the ones with blue mixed in

Starc, one of my all time faves, is a great LO bowler but not a test great.
2nd in Best S/R (overall), 4th (only pacers) in most 5 wickets haul for Aussies who have taken 100+ wickets in Tests.

Average of 27 compared to Johnson 28 & Hazlewood 26!

5th in most wickets currently.

Starc limited overs cricket performances do overshadow his tests one :)

Last edited:
1990-1994 Waqar Younis is, statistically and realistically, the greatest fast bowler ever.

Thats not an unpopular opinion at all.

Id state the following as contenders for best ever fast bowlers across formats: mcgrath, wazza, lillee, marshall, hadlee, holding, khan and waqar would be right up there in the mix

Also 1997 Waqar was probably the best CC season from a seamer ever. He may not have had the average of Donald but he had peak Dougie Brown with him. Glamorgan's only other decent seamer was an aging Steve Watkin and they played on some absolute roads, which you could never accuse of Edgbaston. (James and Morris combined for 11 centuries opening up combined). Waqar won the title by himself almost, not only because of his ability to bowl on roads but also the fact it forced teams to attack Watkin/Croft/Thomas at the other end in order to get past FO targets.

This may not be a very unpopular take but cricket on broadcast suffers terribly because it continues to maintain the commentary and analysis part of itself as an exclusive place for only pros. There are good ones like the Sky Sports crew but the majority of them are dross.

Users who are viewing this thread