Problem: 2 player game - generic names showing (PS4)

StephenC

School Cricketer
Hi, I've just joined and was wondering could someone help.

My brother and I have played 2 player DB games on the same PS4 console. I have updated the squads, but in the team select before the games, it only shows the updated teams/players for player 1. Player 2 still has the generic player names only.

Is this a bug in the game or is there any way around this? Thanks all.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Each player/PSN profile keeps a different roster - so you'll need to go into the game with Player 2 and download teams with that as well.

It would make a lot of sense if the game let you use the roster from Player 1, but as it is, you can't and have to set teams up manually for all players.

StephenC

School Cricketer
Each player/PSN profile keeps a different roster - so you'll need to go into the game with Player 2 and download teams with that as well.

It would make a lot of sense if the game let you use the roster from Player 1, but as it is, you can't and have to set teams up manually for all players.

How can you download with the player 2 profile? Only the 1st profile can access the PSN account, so you can't get online with the 2nd profile?

Thanks

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
How can you download with the player 2 profile? Only the 1st profile can access the PSN account, so you can't get online with the 2nd profile?

Thanks
You'd need to switch them around to make the other player be player 1.

StephenC

School Cricketer
You'd need to switch them around to make the other player be player 1.

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb (3am in morning here), but you can't access PSN account with a 2nd profile, even if you do use it for player 1. PSN access can only be linked to the original profile. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Sorry if I'm sounding dumb (3am in morning here), but you can't access PSN account with a 2nd profile, even if you do use it for player 1. PSN access can only be linked to the original profile. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.
Not sure - I haven't got a Playstation to check on.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
my god... how can something that shit have got through? so you have local 2 players, and it makes you jump through ludicrous hoops to use the downloaded roster? unbelievable!

was there even testing on this game?

Mr Snrub

International Coach
my god... how can something that shit have got through? so you have local 2 players, and it makes you jump through ludicrous hoops to use the downloaded roster? unbelievable!

It's not just downloaded players and rosters, it's also fields and competition and match types. I've spent a few enjoyable hours doing that for the 5-6 people who play in our tournaments. Has been a....... unique experience at best. :facepalm

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia

The logic to it would be so that all people playing the game can customise their own set of players and teams - so I suspect it was a deliberate design choice. But even in that case there should obviously at least be an option to take everything from player 1.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The logic to it would be so that all people playing the game can customise their own set of players and teams - so I suspect it was a deliberate design choice. But even in that case there should obviously at least be an option to take everything from player 1.

Still piss poor design. The first question you ask when designing something like this is "what if both players don't have PSN"... If your answer is to force the default on them, your designers and analysts need firing.

I design software. The what ifs are a basic part of the job.

StephenC

School Cricketer

Every other single sports game I can think of has the roster available to all the players playing a game against each other, NBA, FIFA, Madden etc, all of them. Ridiculous.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I love Big Ant and what they do. I'm sure blocker does in general too. In this particular case though, the design choice hasn't just gone for four byes. It's somehow gone for six!

I think it's an oversight, surely. So many, many things to do in a cricket game of this level of customisation and this one has to have just slipped by. I reckon we'll hear so. Surely?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I love Big Ant and what they do. I'm sure blocker does in general too. In this particular case though, the design choice hasn't just gone for four byes. It's somehow gone for six!

I think it's an oversight, surely. So many, many things to do in a cricket game of this level of customisation and this one has to have just slipped by. I reckon we'll hear so. Surely?

I do indeed. That's why it's so massively frustrating when they shoot themselves in the foot with nonsense like this.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
TBH there are a few things in DBC which sort of stand out in terms of WTF! For folks who obviously get cricket and have created the best cricket game, this "Jekyll and Hyde" phenomenon is quite perplexing. Here are a list of things that you would expect any cricket fan to have thought through...

1. Scorecards - The weird way the scores are presented where you can't quite figure out who actually batted 1st or 2nd. Plus you can't view the scorecards with info such as the no. of overs remaining in the match or a particular day.

2. Stats - Leaving out no. of maiden overs and no. of 4s and 6s hit by batsmen. These are pretty standard stats and have been around for ages.

3. Field settings - The OOB (out of box) field sets are mostly useless and you can barely use 15 or so fields most of the times. It almost seems like the fields were designed by folks who had no clue about cricket.

4. Lack of square drive - How such a basic shot, which is a staple for countering pitched up deliveries outside off, can be missed is astounding. Surely someone should have put up their hands during design/development/testing cycles and said "looks like we are missing a shot to counter pitched up deliveries outside off".

5. Inability to save custom fields - Whenever you make a field change for your bowler, it's not saved or persisted. You have to keep on making the same changes for the batsman at the other end, a new batsman or for the next over. In a video game if I make a field change, surely that should be the one used for all scenarios unless I changed it. At the moment it takes forever to make the same field changes again and again.

6. Squads/Team players for offline multi-player - As has already been discussed I you want to have some fun and play the game with your mates, it presents unique challenges. First off is the inability to use downloaded/updated teams/players for others. You don't want to go through hours of effort to set the other profile. The logic of folks to do the same stuff over and over again for various profiles is beyond me. I tried to play DBC with my friends and it was such a nightmare that I gave up and went with AC09. Must admit AC09 is a much better game for offline multiplayer with your mates even with all the warts and all.

7. No split screen for offline multiplayer - Big Ant have mentioned that they want us to forget how earlier games used to work and I must say I love it, especially the way you bat from behind the wkt keeper. But unfortunately you can't do so for affline multiplayer coz there's no split screen for bowler and batsman. The game essentially forces you to play the game like "earlier" cricket games since broadcast camera angle is the only feasible option. For a game which wanted us to embrace the new way of playing cricket and the new batting controls, not to have a split screen where you can have the batting (behind the batsman) and bowling cameras adjacent to each other for offline multiplayer does seem to be a miss. Surely folks would have seen it while playtesting when I found the offline multiplayer experience so jarring on my first try.

Other things such as enhanced AIs, better edging mechanism including plays & misses, a bug free online mode and more stats is something you can expect in future iterations as you do expect these things to get better over time. But the above mentioned points do seem like an oversight and most of them, except split screen mode, wouldn't have needed a huge development effort. That's exactly the reason why I would love for Big Ant to involve select folks from PC.net (Matt and maybe a couple more) at an earlier stage (say design) to provide inputs coz inviting them for playtesting at the end of the game development cycle is way too late for any meaningful feedback to be incorporated.

Users who are viewing this thread