2011: The Icon Review of Cricket

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I'm back after a very long break and to kick things off, I thought I'd post my review of the last year. There have been ups and downs, twists and turns and some truly awe inspiring debuts. Read on in wonder.

The Good
2011 started under a cloud of shame and finger pointing for the PCB, the fact that it has ended in them being the most successful team in test cricket is a miracle in itself. It must be pointed out, that Pakistan played a good number their tests against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh but nothing should be taken away from their crushing victory against Sri Lanka, the same Sri Lanka that is giving South Africa all they can handle in the on-going test match.

Pakistan's winning ways have coincided with the discovery of yet another left arm quick in Junaid Khan, supplemented by above average performances from the likes of Aizaz Cheema and Wahab Riaz. Umar Gul has once again found his form and is starting to live up to his early promise, not to mention the rise of Saeed Ajmal, who is now, officially the best bowlller in ODIs and should really be ranked as the second best in Tests.

The batting is still lacking that touch of true genius, although Younis Khan and Misbad Ul-Haq have stuck together to put on a decent show, with Muhammad Hafeez and Taufeeq Umar (in Tests at least) proving a reliable opening pair. The inclusion of Azhar Ali and Asad Shafis are welcome reminders that the batting talent pool hasn't completely dried out. With Pakistan taking on England in the new year, their new found ability to win and scrap will be put to the test like never before but if anyone can do it after the disastrous events of 2010, then it is Misbah's Pakistan.

The Bad
What should have been the showpiece of the calendar year turned out to be it's biggest flop. Like a Hollywood summer blockbuster gone bad, the "test" series between England and India slumped, limped and staggered into oblivion, never to be heard from again. To think it started with so much promise.

I still remember seeing the promotions for the series every where: Tendulkar's 100th 100? The battle between Anderson and co. and India's great batting line up, the swash buckling of Sehwag and the ripping talent of good old Zak. But it wasn't to be, Sehwag was injured, Zak soon followed and that was that for India.

A special mention must go to Rahul Dravid and that rarest of breeds, an Indian swing bowler, Praveen Kumar, they did all they could to up hold Indian honour, but it was not enough. Anderson, Tremlett, Cook, Trott and Kevin Pieterson ravaged the carcass of a once good team and made them look ordinary. India haven't yet fully recovered from that psychological hammering and England seem to be going from strength to strength.

The Ugly
The spot fixing scandal which gripped the entire world of sports for almost a year, finally came to an end. Three Pakistanis, prosecuted and sentenced in England changed the way cricket will be viewed from here on in. Muhammad Asif and Salman Butt had the book thrown at them and their cricketing bans are a reflection of the anger and outcry felt by millions of fans, Pakistani and neutral.

Muhammad Amir got off lightly, mainly due to his youth and naivety, although his redemption in the eyes of many is still unfulfilled. He is undoubtedly the most talented young fast bowler I have seen in years but that does not mean
he is immune to the darker side of professional sport.

There are many lessons to be learned here and the ICC must take heed. Rules and regulations need to be toughened up and more money must be invested into the ICC anti-corruption unit. Member boards must take responsibility too and match fixers must not be rewarded for their actions, as was the case in previous generations. Cricket must use the conclusion of the trial as a starting point, a more honest and law abiding rebirth must follow.

This has been a great year for cricket, the resurgence of Pakistan cricket, the slow healing of Zimbabwe, the toppling of Australia and the refusal of teams to be dominated by the Indian juggernaut has opened up the playing field. Pitches in England and South Africa have called for the recovery of the lost art of swing, so beautifully portrayed by James Anderson and Dale Steyn and a whole batch of budding talent in Philander, Khan, Pattinson and Cummins.

Yet, for all the silver linings, there are many clouds, highlighted by India's refusal of the DRS, followed by their heavy muscle bullying to make the ICC make a full 360 turn on a decision that had been solidified earlier in the year. The problems are further extenuated by some of the stupidest rules ever put forward (refusing a runner???) and the ICCs inability to string together the much vaunted idea of a test championship.

In 2011 cricket discovered new horizons but still faces some familiar problems. A lot has been learned but there is still a long way to go.

Great read and couldn't agree more mate. :D. The spot fixing thing really got to me. Good to hear that Pakistan is back up there. but Umar Gul really is not doing as well as he used too. Send him in to domestic cricket for a while like Umar Akmal

Cheers! I actually think Gul has shouldered his responsibility as the senior pace man very well but he does have many areas to improve on.

Nice writeup but it is an incredibly biased writeup to be called a Cricket Review of 2011. Its more like review from the point of view of a Pakistani fan.

Awwww sorry angrypixel did I forget to mention the great year India had??? I'm sorry if I hurt you, fact is I mentioned Pakistan, England, Australian and South African up and comers. What would you like me to talk about? India's great array of fast bowlers? There indestructible batting line up? :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread