The PlanetCricket View: 2nd Test: Warner?s century couldn?t prevent some Black Cap history

Article by baggy_blogger -

Another good game for Test cricket and even though the Baggy Greens weren’t victorious, it was good to see a game where fast bowling dominanted with swing conditions on offer throughout all four days.
Low scoring games have proven to be exciting, but when you look at it in detail the Baggy Greens have been a big part of the low scoring dilemma.

It remains a big issue and while it can be expected every 5 Tests or so that a bad innings will occur for most sides, it has become a frequent matter.
You can?t help but feel the Selectors will be making some tough calls, which we all expected heading into this series.

As always you need to find the positives.
There were a few to make note of but many of the negatives will unlikely be swept aside by Inverarity.
Well done to the Black Caps though. Some special history for them with their first win in Australia since 1985 and Doug Bracewell made the most of the conditions, a green top wicket and was consistently swinging the ball bowling from a good length.

2nd Test: Black Caps won by 7 runs.
Scorecard
Series drawn 1-1, The Baggy Greens retain the Trans-Tasman Trophy.

BATTING:
1st innings 136 all out, Peter Siddle 38
2nd innings 233 all out, David Warner 123*

The 1st innings was atrocious. After The Black Caps fell for 150 I honestly didn?t expect them to win the Test. A mate in Hobart informed me the wicket would be tough for the first three days and then likely begin to flatten, further assisted if there was some sunshine to bake the track a bit.
His forecast was spot on with a tough batting track but it didn?t get much easier due to the lack of sunshine.

The track had variable bounce (at times keeping very low and rapidly darting off a short length), lovely conditions for swing bowling which both teams utilised and something in it for the spin bowling.
It was a good track for bowling and neither side was fully up for the challenge with the bat in hand.

The shot selection was tough to watch. Very loose strokes and not enough patience shown by the senior batsmen. The loss of Shaun Marsh appears to be big with that element of patience he brings to the batting order. Even when Usman Khawaja managed to be patient, as soon as David Warner showed slight discomfort after committing to a run in the 2nd innings, Usman tried to be more aggressive and got himself out. We needed someone to just hold the fort while Pitbull Warner continued his outstanding performance, scoring 52.8% of the teams runs.

David ?Pitbull? Warner was great to watch. I am so proud of the bloke and I always felt he would do something this series. He took a few innings to get going but not only was he there until the end watching the experienced players drop around him but he scored his maiden century.
It is always a wonderful moment to see a batsman celebrate a Test century. Conditions were tough out there and it was an innings of hope from Warner as the Baggy Greens neared in a 2-0 series win.
Unfortunately while he played fluently and powerfully with his confidence on the rise as his time at the wicket increased, his batting partners didn?t maximise their time.

Early on David?s area of scoring was behind square of the wicket due to some edges and a fair bit of luck with some inside edges down to fine leg which accounted for a number of boundaries.
Some luck is needed but as he settled the shots became more controlled and excellently placed.
His wagon-wheel is good to look at to see how he became more assertive as he got down to business knowing he could get the team home, even if it was by his own means.
It was good to watch his performance and in my opinion he has arrived.
We?ve been in need of a young man with a sound technique and ability to switch his temperament at the top of the order with Shane Watson in a place of question whether he should continue opening or not.

It?s good to note his areas of placement for his runs. *Four runs not accounted for in Wagon-wheel.

The Black Caps bowled well but I feel the guys just weren?t able to give themselves enough time for some application on the track to adjust to the conditions. It wasn?t easy batting but they surely could have shown better patience out there.
It was disappointing but at the same time it forces the Selectors to have a long think about their plan of action for the Border-Gavaskar series.

It looks like Phillip Hughes? time is up.
With Shaun Marsh set to play in one of the warm-up games prior to the Border-Gavaskar series and Shane Watson in line to return, it seems Hughes will be going. It would only seem right and David Warner has taken his opportunity.

Yes, Hughesy works hard at his game and has a hunger for the game but it probably isn?t sufficient. Consistency is needed within the team and with Warner there is a sense of stability and he has a sound technique with a very flexible game, which he?s been working bloody hard at.
Hughesy is still a young man but his dismissals have been carbon-copies now since the South African series and we?ve seen it all before.
A mental weakness seems to have become apparent due to a possible technical weakness and this is cause for concern. You could hear it in Michael Slater?s tone when Hughes was dismissed that this is the end of the line for now.

Bowled Martin, Caught Guptill. Four times it occurred. Quite something.

Michael Hussey had an excellent series in Sri Lanka but has struggled since. His enthusiasm is always refreshing. Huss is a remarkable limited overs cricket and possibly the best in the game. He is versatile, sharp between the wickets, can dominate any bowler and has won so many games for the Green & Gold?s.
Come Test cricket, despite his Ashes performances and the Sri Lankan series, he?s maybe lost the edge a bit, a slight let down of instinct. I?m not sure but as much as I?d like to see Huss play on in limited overs (where he?s remained consistent) maybe it is time for him to make way for an emerging player?

This could be said for Ricky Ponting as well, who is my favourite of all time and has been a massive inspiration to me. I don?t want to ever see him go but I can?t help but feel the end of his epic career is near.
This summer will surely be his final campaign as a Test cricket?
He has nothing left to prove, I?ve written about it before and the standing ovation at Bellerive when he walked off the park was symbolic. The crowd, at the ground where the journey began for Punter, seemed to accept it has all come to an end and that was the last time they?d see him in Test gear in Tasmania.

I hate to sound all doom and gloom but we often talk about the sake of progression.
It could easily turn around for Huss and Punter against India and we?d all love to see that, but for progression can it be depended on?
Can the Selectors be bold enough to make those tough calls amongst the good start they?ve already made?
Brad Haddin must surely be in this category as well when Tim Paine returns?

My best wishes to our senior players who have provided us with many cricketing memories and given us entertainment and pride with their respective performances.
I am just not sure if the Selectors will handing out the honours based on reputation for the Border-Gavaskar series. The gut instinct would be to give them another go but there?s that cloud of progression and the urgency for consistency to start developing with a team to look at for the next 2-3 years.

It was disappointing no one could support David Warner and it was a worry Pedro Siddle was the top run scorer in the 1st innings.
With other player?s eager to have their opportunity and a core group needed for Test cricket the bowling stocks have fallen beautifully into place with options available but the batting won?t progress with stagnant selection, a tough area of question for the new NSP.
Please understand I?m a staunch supporter so saying this isn?t easy but sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture rather than the individual accolades.

The batting was bleak but there?s still plenty to be proud about, especially the arrival of David Warner!
Nathan Lyon was devastated after the loss. I really felt for him but it wasn?t his fault, it wasn?t his ultimate responsibility. He tried his best as a guy who is highly capable with the bat but the batsmen up top fell like flies during a wonderful spell by Doug Bracewell.

It?s just a game of cricket and life goes on but as supporters we still need to discuss our views objectively.

BOWLING:
1st innings; James Pattinson 5-61, Peter Siddle 3-42
2nd innings, James Pattinson 3-54 , Peter Siddle 3-66 , Nathan Lyon 3-25

Our bowlers were awesome. Pattinson took another 5fer and consistently swung the ball with good pace. He pitched the ball up well and showed that similar element of composure to that of Patty Cummins. He deserves many more opportunities for the summer. I dig his Bree Lee-like attitude.
With the full length he bowled it regularly encouraged the Black Caps top order to play at the ball and this resulted in many edges to the slips.
I can see this menacing the Indian batsmen!

It is an area Craig McDermott seems to have nailed with the bowlers and an area that was deemed a weakness. The bowling attack also seems to have far better stability and consistency with the young guns coming through. Its splendid!

Well done to James as he was great to watch. That?s two 5 wicket hauls and an average of 14.00.

Pedro Siddle lead the attack excellently. I understand he has a lack of variation in what he brings to the table which results in criticism but his never ending fight within him is inspiring and he was good. Like Pattinson, when he pitched it on a fuller length it created opportunities rather than bowling back of a length which works for Pedro at the MCG.
His pace has been rising and rising to a stable point of very menacing pace. There was even some movement on offer for Pedro and he managed six for the game. Can?t forget his top score!

Mitchell Starc could have had far more success but unlike Pedro and Pattinson he was unable to find a consistent balance with his line and length. He?s also a young bloke so the taste of the elite level will do him the world of good but he?s another youngster in the waiting line. Nothing wrong with that and I look forward to seeing him get more exposure in limited overs cricket.
When the time is right I see him having more Test exposure.

Nathan Lyon continued things from the Gabba proving he is the guy to stick with.
He managed three for the game and even though he went wicket less in the first innings he kept things tidy while the pace bowlers wrapped things up.
I have mentioned it before but I am excited to see him go for the summer and I stand by my supportive outlook being that should he get a beating or two from India, he must be retained.
Only through patience, encouragement and variable opportunity (against the top opposition sides) will he discover his true skill set as a spin bowler and develop into our front line spin bowler.

Not much else to say other than with Ryan Harris, Shane Watson, Patrick Cummins and a few other blokes lurking about the system, I feel the bowling is on track.
Craig McDermott has also been given plenty of acknowledgements from the bowling units so he?s clearly doing the job well.

Pitbull Warner kisses the coat of arms on his helmet as he reaches his maiden-century. I strongly believe there will be many more to come. Despite the loss it was an outstanding achievement for him.

? Associated Press

This article was brought to you by Ian from The Baggy Green Blog. If you wish to comment on this piece, click here.

More...

Users who are viewing this thread