3 Innings Cricket

Complicated but a good Idea- What about a four inning ODI? 25 overs per Inning, rules like a test match but follow on only 75 runs:D

andrew_nixon said:
I don't think it would work. It seems to complex to the average fan, .

you don't put much faith into what a fan may be equipt to handel.

Last edited:
The whole point of one day cricket is to be fast and simple to follow.

The "75 run" rule just complicates matters way too much. If the aim of this format is to attract people to the game, then it would fail miserably.

when i first came up with the concept, the system was extremely simple swapping role at the loss of 3rd and 6th wicket. however after analysing the system there was no reward given to a team for getting themselves into a good postion or ptting themselves into a good postion. it's like asking your bowlers to get three wickets before 75 runs of our score or asking your batsmen to score 75 runs more than their score whats so complcated about that. this small rule creates reason for your batsmen and bowlers to get the team as a whole into a winning postion.

the sad thing with a normal odi is this only starts to matter in the last 45 to 30 min of a match. oh they need 75 runs to win with 3 wickets in hand. you waited five and half hours for that.

my game gave you that excitement and up down momentum regulary through out it's entirety. one hour or so your screaming for your bowlers to take the 3rd wicket, and the next hour or so you hoping your 2nd innings batsmen dig themselves out of the hole your opening batters dug. while you and your mates oppostion team still as of yet dont know what the winning target will be, but it'll be an exciting match with ups and downs towards the end.

if you cant picture the scernio's my concept will create then you'll never except it's possibilities.

It just complicates matters too much thats all. I'm all for splitting up one day games, but I think the only way to do that is in two 25 over innings.

You haven't even restricted how many overs would be in each innings. Say one team bats their entire 50 overs, only losing two wickets. The other team comes out to bat 50 overs, just like an ordinary match.

Yeah, it is a bit complicated. I can't remember where i read this idea but I think it is a good one. The match is split into four innings with each being 25 overs long. Whoever wins the toss can decide to bat or bowl and after the first team bats and finishes their 25 overs the other team bats and finishes their 25 overs. Whoever has more runs after 25 overs can then decide whether they want to bat or bowl first in the next innings.

Indeed, if the first team doesn't loose 3 wickets, like in the last world cup final, the game will proceed as in a normal one-day match.

One issue I think is that you say 3 wickets offers a "reward" for the bowlers. As a "reward" they get to sit in the pavillion. I am unsure of the value of this reward. Disruption of momentum seems to be punishment to the bowlers.

It does seem to overly complicate the game. Whereas the standard format is Team 1 bats/Team 2 fields then swap, complete with concepts of offence and defence, this format says Team 1 bats/Team 2 fields until X then Team 2 bats/Team 1 fields until X unless Y in which case etc, etc... it certainly doesn't make it easier to follow.

jdbais said:
Yeah, it is a bit complicated. I can't remember where i read this idea but I think it is a good one. The match is split into four innings with each being 25 overs long. Whoever wins the toss can decide to bat or bowl and after the first team bats and finishes their 25 overs the other team bats and finishes their 25 overs. Whoever has more runs after 25 overs can then decide whether they want to bat or bowl first in the next innings.
Me-a while back said:
Complicated but a good Idea- What about a four inning ODI? 25 overs per Inning, rules like a test match but follow on only 75 runs:D
Remember now??

angryangy said:
One issue I think is that you say 3 wickets offers a "reward" for the bowlers. As a "reward" they get to sit in the pavillion. I am unsure of the value of this reward. Disruption of momentum seems to be punishment to the bowlers.
This is a good point. One of the problems with this 3 innings cricket is that if a team loses 3 very quick wickets, the bowling side may not get the chance to capatalise on their strong position.

yeah, i have read ur posts and i think this is pointless and stupid! cricket should be cricket! it has already been tweaked quite a lot already!

Its an interesting idea and if it works it'll make cricket much more interesting. But that "it works" clause is quite important because there are so many things that could go wrong. I think the best way to go about testing it is by NOT using old statistics. You could perhaps organize a game with your friends and try it out. Or even try one or two club cricket games. Worst comes to worst you could play in your house with a wall (like I do. :P). I'll see if I have time to check this out more in-depthly. If you pay me, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread