A wagon wheel to highlight the huge problem with batting in DBC17

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
So I played a few overs hitting every ball into the offside using the front foot only and no modifiers. Below is the wagon wheel and I must say it's a sad sight.

You literally cannot play a cover drive. It's arguably the most iconic shot in cricket, and even you have an image of Bradman playing one when you load the game, but now it's gone.

And when you stray too far to a square shot you go from an off drive, which is quite a nice looking animation, to this bizarre cut shot where your player almost gets down onto their knees to play it. Why can't they play a square drive?

It looks at first glance like I only scored a few runs but there are about 40 there, pretty much all on top of each other. It reminded me of playing Brian Lara Cricket 2005 on PC where you could only hit in eight directions with the keyboard.

Attachments

• wagon_wheel.jpg
    wagon_wheel.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 550

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I have very similar results. Generally there's an edge or two which goes behind the keeper or around point region but more or less my wagon wheel looks similar with huge swathes of off side (from extra cover to cover point/point, and from Square Gully to 3rd man) and leg side (Backward Square leg to Long Leg) not accessible/hittable.

Offie McOff face

School Cricketer
Very similar to my wagon wheels too, although I tend to have even more in the straight to wide mid-off arc as I get caught a lot off the spinner when trying to play square.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Very similar to my wagon wheels too, although I tend to have even more in the straight to wide mid-off arc as I get caught a lot off the spinner when trying to play square.

I guess it depends on what sort of approach you take to batting. For example this is the approach I follow...
- If the ball is outside off either off/cover drive to mid off/extra cover region or play a late cut to Square Gully area
- If the ball is straight either hit a straight drive if mid on or mid off are up or clip it to square leg area
- If the ball is on the leg side clip/flick/glance it through the Square Leg region or play an on drive if mid wkt is not around.

Having the ball marker show line & length early does help with the shot you want to play. When the batting's patched the game would be a cracker.

T20

Panel of Selectors
Good capture. Based on my play time the default fields also seem to have set for this limited shot range? e.g. I saw 3rd, 4th slip (no 1,2), gullies, backward point in first 10 overs of a test. I think game will be a whole lot better if both the shot range and default fields get addressed in a future patch.

Last edited:

flameoid12

School Cricketer
I found that you can play a wider variety of shots including a cover drive if you hold down both triggers to do an attacking ground shot.

atimlin

Club Cricketer
I totally agree - ive said elsewhere that the cutshot and square cut look really awkward. There is one in particular which I will get a photo of later which looks like something my nan played yesterday at our xmas bbq.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i just figured out how to hit regularly behind square... go miles out of your crease to the offside and just wack it aggressive leg glance. i believe this was the Don's signature shot.

very effective in a five5.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
i just figured out how to hit regularly behind square... go miles out of your crease to the offside and just wack it aggressive leg glance. i believe this was the Don's signature shot.

very effective in a five5.

What happens if the bowler bowls on stumps?

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
So I played a few overs hitting every ball into the offside using the front foot only and no modifiers. Below is the wagon wheel and I must say it's a sad sight.

You literally cannot play a cover drive. It's arguably the most iconic shot in cricket, and even you have an image of Bradman playing one when you load the game, but now it's gone.

And when you stray too far to a square shot you go from an off drive, which is quite a nice looking animation, to this bizarre cut shot where your player almost gets down onto their knees to play it. Why can't they play a square drive?

It looks at first glance like I only scored a few runs but there are about 40 there, pretty much all on top of each other. It reminded me of playing Brian Lara Cricket 2005 on PC where you could only hit in eight directions with the keyboard.

Technically isnt that one green line a COVER DRIVE? I think, maybe we are having some trouble with terminology, as Ross has said there is a cover drive, technically correct -- its the extra cover region that is missing ;) When I make fields against AI, I literally do not bother with fielders in that region, I move then all right next to bowler! :)

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Technically isnt that one green line a COVER DRIVE? I think, maybe we are having some trouble with terminology, as Ross has said there is a cover drive, technically correct -- its the extra cover region that is missing ;) When I make fields against AI, I literally do not bother with fielders in that region, I move then all right next to bowler! :)

You may call it a cover drive, an off drive or an extra cover drive but the problem is that the drive on the off side only goes in the same direction and never squarer than extra cover. This leaves wide area ranging from extra cover to cover point/point undriveable.

No matter what direction you hold the right analog stick in the first quadrant (between 0 and 90 degrees) the result is the same - the shot will go between mid off and extra cover depending on how you time it and if extra cover fielder is around there's no point in playing the shot.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
I agree 100% your diagram highlights it perfectly... I'm just saying in the beginning when it was firts mentioned (with no diagrams) Ross categorically stated that there ARE cover drives in the game, technically correct, there are! :) anyways our point has been carried across I am sure.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I agree 100% your diagram highlights it perfectly... I'm just saying in the beginning when it was firts mentioned (with no diagrams) Ross categorically stated that there ARE cover drives in the game, technically correct, there are! :) anyways our point has been carried across I am sure.

I hope so. Technically we only have off drive (through mid off to extra cover area) in the game. Cover drive (between extra cover and cover point) and Square drive (between cover point and backward point) are the ones missing. These along with glide to 3rd man (not a cut shot to Square Gully but finer to 3rd man) and glances/flicks to fine leg/long leg area ranging from Backward Square Leg and Long Leg are the missing shots.

kulch

Club Captain
Would love to see Wagon wheels like we did in DBC14. Who will take on this challenge? Show us how to bat in DBC17

Users who are viewing this thread