Anderson: England's Lion

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
A lot has been written about England's rise as a test team to the summit of the ICC rankings. There is an article on cricinfo about the role that James Anderson has played in the last few years and to be that is the most relevant article I have read on the topic.
James Anderson, through his own personal ups and downs has been there with England, as the team has sometimes flirted with greatness (2004-06) and been pummelled (51 all out).
He may not have always played in those teams but his own sparring with potential super stardom has been off set by moments of sheering mediocrity. Now, as England are on paper and grass, the best test side on the planet, it has been Anderson, who, in my opinion been the catalyst. His artistic swing has now finally been matched by a determination to prove all those who called him "Daisy" wrong.
In the last 42 tests, Anderson has averaged 27 and taken over a 100 wickets. These are not astronomical figures but he has managed to lead a once ailing bowling attack into become, at the moment one of the most feared, if not THE best bowling attack in international cricket. They have not got the pace and fire of Morkel or Steyn but a threesome, with a fourth member waiting in the wings, is as flexible as any in recent memory.
Anderson has upped his game and goes to show, a world class bowler is required to bring life back to a test team which was once mired in mediocrity.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
175 wickets in those 42 Tests.

89 @ 23 since the start of 2010. The leader of the pack, Mr Reliable and someone who has improved so much since his barren years in 06/07. The fact he can go in to the slips is a massive bonus.

Him and Steyn as a new-ball attack please.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
But I still need to watch him that how he will bowl in sub continent. He is best in English conditions but saying "world domination" before looking at his performance in sub continent is little too early. Although WC was ODI's but in WC he was pretty poor so before giving any sort of judgement we need to wait for his performance in subcontinent.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Time will tell, but I was saying a combination of Steyn and Anderson would equal world domination. What do you guys think would be the best bowling attack if you had a pick of nay player on the planet?

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Well on current form and fitness problems I could not go with Zak, a month ago definitely.
I would most likely pick Morkel along with Steyn and Anderson. It would be a tough call between the exotic Ajmal or the precise and effective Swann. I might even go for a 5th bowler, someone like Tremlett or Johnson.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ajmal is far far better and more penetrating then Swann. Swann need to develop another weapon to become yet again best spinner.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Anderson did his credentials no harms by performing in Aussie conditions that do not favor his sort of bowling. If he can do the same in Sub Continent and drag his average to 25, he will be remembered was one of the greats. I am intrigued to know his average outside of England.

----------

I looked it up and his average outside England is 38. He needs to start to performing outside of England.

Owzat

International Coach
JM Anderson Test wickets

001-051 : 51 wkts @ 35.45
052-102 : 51 wkts @ 33.27
103-153 : 51 wkts @ 33.67
154-204 : 51 wkts @ 23.04
205-237 : 33 wkts @ 25.42

Definitely improved, better control of swing, although his average is still just over 30 overall so he needs to keep going.

Another interesting and very relevant stat is that he's taken eleven 5wis and one 10wm, SIX of those eleven 5wis and the 10wm have come in his last eight series. As you can see from the below split he is a vastly improved bowler.

Series 01-14 (35 Tests) : 117 wkts @ 35.44 (5wi x5, 10wm x0)
Series 15-22 (27 Tests) : 120 wkts @ 25.74 (5wi x6, 10wm x1)

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Generally Indian fast bowlers have stats opposite of this. Avg about 25 in first few test and then keep on increasing :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread