Any chance of going on sale soon?

imdahman

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm hoping the game will be on sale soon. Is there a chance it will go on sale soonish? The demo was killer and It's been such a long time since I've played cricket (I'm from Canada, but I was born in Australia then moved, and lived in Australia from 8-14), and this game seems like something that'll scratch the nagging itch I've had.

The demo was very cool, and I'm hoping by the time the modding is added the game will go on sale so I can snag it and take advantage of all you excellent modders out there!

The game is already on Sale, the price is reduced so that Indian folks more readily afford it.

None of our games have been discounted within a year of release, and even then only discounted when a new version was imminent.

It's a sign of the times when gamers have become so entitled they expect sale prices rather than supporting the developers and paying full price. Who here are like me, and are old enough to remember when video games were full price for years after release? I'm not even that old neither (32).

Games are cheaper nowadays than they were 21 years ago. By a country mile!

genesiscatalog-inflation-adjusted.jpg

Last edited:
On Steam though, I don't blame anyone wanting to hold off until the next sale - because just about every game gets randomly slashed by huge percentages every other week just to get the attention of being on the main page.

But with a game like DBC14 - where it has maintained the same price since launch, you can be confident in buying it at full price that you're not going to regret that by it going on sale next week.

Yeah, I wouldn't put it down to people being 'entitled'. I myself very rarely buy games at full price, preferring to get games in bundles or sales.

If I come across an absolute gem through doing this though, I am more than happy to pay full price for future works from that developer, or other titles in their catalogue, but I am unlikely to take the plunge at £30+ for a game from a developer who I haven't played the games of previously.

DBC14 is one of the only full price games I've bought recently, and that was in no small part due to their presence on these forums. I really got a feeling I could trust them to deliver and support a quality product, and I haven't been disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought DBC 14 during the Steam sales, but then again I haven't been properly satisfied with a cricket game since Ashes 97.

It's one of those things. You know those people who buy Call of Duty every year that you want to push off a cliff, wondering how they can still proclaim their interest and love for the series on the way down?

We're all like that for cricket games, deep down. And Big Ant knows that. It's not going on discount any time soon and it's such a niche audience that it's entirely fair for them to do so. So you might as well give them your support sooner rather than later.

Another game I got tempted into at full price was The Golf Club when it was in Early Access.

Very disappointed with that - they 'fully' released it in a horribly unoptimised and unfinished state, and very light on features, and it is unknown when or if they are going to bring it up to an acceptable standard. I should have known to be careful after HB developed the awful EA Cricket games, but I just wanted to play a golf game...

People have every right to be cautious when spending £30+ on a game, as it's so easy to get ripped off and get a shoddy product.

It depends. Once upon a time people actually read reviews before playing games instead of seeking reinforcement of making their purchase by reading them afterwards. These days its all about getting the game day 1 because of perks and bragging rights. Decent proper demos were a lot more common in the past than is now too.

--EDIT--

I was going to say that a large group of gamers' priorities seem to be to want to purchase games as cheaply and quickly as possible, instead of saving up and waiting a while. Maybe I don't get it because I'm somewhat older school, but I value rewarding developers for their efforts by buying my games full price.

Last edited:
It depends on the developer for me - if it's Ubisoft, EA and the like, if there's one of their games I want to play then I'll look around for the cheapest possible price and begrudgingly pay up.
If it's Big Ant, Mana Games, Celeris and the like, I would refuse any deals and willingly pay full price. With Tennis Elbow 2013 from Mana Games I even bought a second copy and gifted it to someone on their forums as I wanted to support the devs further.

To me, bundles and sales are the new 'demos' - I get to try a variety of titles that I otherwise may have passed up on and never experienced, and now there are many more devs that I trust and sequels I'm looking forward to having played the discounted games.

Different strokes for different folk I guess :)

Anyway to get back on topic, begging for a sale is probably the quickest way not to get one.

Pay full price for the games you love and want to support on release day. Pay sale prices for games you just want to try out a few months after release that you have a vague interest in trying.

If you've found your way to PlanetCricket and made the time to register, there's a fairly good percentage chance you should be firmly sitting in the first category when it comes to DBC14

I was going to say that a large group of gamers' priorities seem to be to want to purchase games as cheaply and quickly as possible

Among hard-core gamers there is a "collection" mentality that one has to have all of the games and impress people by how many they buy. It's a genuine hobby for some people, so they obviously want the best deal out there because they want ALL of them. Can't begrudge people wanting a good deal if they're that into gaming. If you're a fan of cricket though, with the dust collecting on the last PC game back in 09 I'm pretty confident in saying there won't be a "sale" on this brand new game any time soon, if ever, so just go out and buy it if you believe in the product and/or are interested in cricket gaming as a way to kill a few stumps hours.

Any other developers considering making a cricket game any time soon (tumbleweeds) would have looked at DBC and said "Right. On to the next project, we can't compete with that."

If you have any remote interest in gaming and cricket then get this game at whatever price it's going for. You will get your money's worth, guaranteed.

Any other developers considering making a cricket game any time soon (tumbleweeds) would have looked at DBC and said "Right. On to the next project, we can't compete with that."
Not necessarily. I'd still like to know who bought the IC10 code :spy If they're reading this, I will find you.... and I will pester you for a release date :p

Users who are viewing this thread