Asif and Akhtar Positive for doping!

As Andrew said, it is obviously not valid as a defence, but my early suspicions are that the Physio team involved with the rehabilitation of their injured quicks are probably at fault. Just a guess, but I think it could be a reasonably accurate guess.

Bad news for Pakistan though, their bowling attack looked toothless against England without Shoaib and Asif. Unless their backup bowlers step up to the plate, they will find any total hard to defend.

poor pakistan but you lot are being harsh on the players we need to find out more information. younis khan captaincy has got big problems before the first match

Never saw this coming!
Asif, out of people too! I mean, he had such a great thing going for him, so young, why act stupid?

just read on news reoports that it might have been in one of them injections they were getting as part of their injury treatment,

pity if they get banned and the substance was in the injections whichw as part of their treatment

Isnt doping being taken a bit too leniantly with Cricket? Its as serious an offense as with other sports like athletics,where people receive huge(and sometime life) bans.So why should it be the same with cricketers? Im not saying that the people found guilty this time should be banned for life,but definately for a couple of series.But if the same people are found positive again they should be banned for a longer period.

sid_19840 said:
Isnt doping being taken a bit too leniantly with Cricket? Its as serious an offense as with other sports like athletics,where people receive huge(and sometime life) bans.So why should it be the same with cricketers? Im not saying that the people found guilty this time should be banned for life,but definately for a couple of series.But if the same people are found positive again they should be banned for a longer period.
i don't think doping is such a big problem/issue as in cricket if you have great stamina you arent going to make 100s and 100s or gets 5fers, in endurance athletics of course it will aid you but it doesn't really in cricket.

Still too premature to make assumptions but obviously isn't looking good. Whether it was for injury prurposes or performance enhancing, full penalties need to be taken. Dissapointing news not only for PCB, but the whole cricketing community in general. But good on Bob Woolmer for conducting these tests and exposing the 2 for doping. I guess it really had to be sooner or later before they would be exposed.

langerrox said:
i don't think doping is such a big problem/issue as in cricket if you have great stamina you arent going to make 100s and 100s or gets 5fers, in endurance athletics of course it will aid you but it doesn't really in cricket.

That doesnt mean that its dealt with in a different manner.In both cases its being used for performance enhancing.If we continue being leniant with it,it might end up being used by more and more players.

sid_19840 said:
That doesnt mean that its dealt with in a different manner.In both cases its being used for performance enhancing.If we continue being leniant with it,it might end up being used by more and more players.
yeh its really bad, but a life ban is too harsh

I don't think a life ban is too harsh. Regardless of the reason, these players have broken the rules by putting drugs into their system. They should be punished as serverly as possible and the ICC should issue a huge warning to the rest of the cricket world by making an example out of these two.

langerrox said:
yeh its really bad, but a life ban is too harsh

I never said to ban these chaps for life,I said a longer ban for a couple of months or so,if found guilty again(the same people i.e),ban them for a year and if again then for life.I find it a terribly wrong thing to do,no different than players fixing a match.

sid_19840 said:
Agreed they should be punished, but I'd say around a year, the same went out to Warney when he took drugs.

Was I the only one who heard Inzamam-Ul-Haq was also found using dope? Could've sworn Huddo said something on SEN

ZexyZahid said:
Before you guys make any assumptions and false accusations: keep in mind all these two (and maybe three) bowlers were injured and recovering from that. Maybe there were giving that drug onnoticed by them by some doctor of the medical department of PCB. It's very coincidental that these bowlers were injured and now they have been found a drug within their body. But we have to wait to found out about this more.
Then the board would've known about it, it was an IN-HOUSE investigation, they wouldn't have done it.

Last edited:
aus5892 said:
Agreed they should be punished, but I'd say around a year, the same went out to Warney when he took drugs.

Was I the only one who heard Inzamam-Ul-Haq was also found using dope? Could've sworn Huddo said something on SEN

Then the board would've known about it, it was an IN-HOUSE investigation, they wouldn't have done it.
you do realise doping is the term given to performance enhancing drugs, not pot.

Users who are viewing this thread