Australian Youngsters

Ronald McDonald dominates the domestic leagues, just can never bring myself to using him because how useless he is in r/l.

It seems the developers predicted Australia to go on a downward slide so have given us absolutely no good youngsters. Its frustrating but I've given up on Australia in this version of the game.

Pat Cummins disappears.
James Pattinson disappears or turns out putrid.
Mitch Marsh never becomes any good with the bat or ball.
Khawaja never does well.
Dave Warner only turns out decent, lucky to average 40 in tests.

And don't get me started on the spinners.. In every ICC game its always been essential to have a good spinner. Known fact. But Australia never get any good ones. Lyon is useless, Steve Smith isn't a bowler, O'Keefe doesn't get wickets. You always need to go 4 quicks and Shane Watson.

Your destined to fail if you try captain Australia.

Yeah I just play on easy with Australia otherwise I'd get sick of it pretty fast. I don't remember ever seeing Pattinson or Cummins, so I guess they disappeared.
For me Khawaja is doing well in ODI's, not so much in tests and Warner is horrible in everything, even T20's I rarely play him.
Marsh and the spinners are indeed terrible, but I have 3 or 4 good leg spin regens. Too bad one couldn't be an offie or something.

Obviously some players can change attributes. Like when I first put Wade in for Australia he was aggressive but in only half a year he changed to defensive. After about 10 tests Steve Smith is starting to bat and bowl well. Hastings is useless in tests but good in ODIs for me. Copeland averages like 15 in ODIs after about 20 games and around 30 in tests after about 10 so he's pretty good. George Bailey is terrible.

Faulkner and O'Keefe have been excellent long term players for me.

Unfortunately Mitch Marsh is terrible. Looking forward to the next version where he's alot better :D. Nevill, is a terrible terrible batsman. Warner averages about 45 in tests for me, and is crap at everything else. Khawaja is actually good for me. Cummins and Pattinson are woeful.

'I think he was probably mocking the actual Afridi, not the fictional one in your game.
Sarcasm is hard on the interwebs'

see what you know in actual life afridi averages 37 in tests - and has over 3000 runs in odi's. hmmm u are a serius no brainer.
lol:D:eek:

Nevill, is a terrible terrible batsman
Agree. In my game he was always picked but never performed but when he was 31 he seemingly could not fail and had a beast of a year across all three international forms. I still do not think he made up for all the previous years of failure however.

I'm currently in my 3rd season with Australia on ICC 2010. This is a list of the 11 players who have been most useful/performed the best for me up till now (might be helpful or interesting to somebody)

In order of decreasing usefulness/performance quality with their respective skill (which they are in the team for) in brackets:

1. Michael Clarke (bat) +(capt.)
2. Shane Watson (allr)
3. Phillip Hughes (bat)
4. Simon Katich (bat) [Test only]
5. Mitchell Johnson (bowl)
6. John Hastings (bowl) [ODI and T20I only]
7. Mike Hussey (bat)
8. Mark Cosgrove (bat) [ODI and T20I only]
9. Matthew Wade (wk) [mainly Test]
10. Peter Siddle (bowl) [Test only]
11. Nathan Hauritz (bowl) [mainly Test]

If anybody wants to do a similar thing for their game, it's actually quite fun!

I'm currently in my 3rd season with Australia on ICC 2010. This is a list of the 11 players who have been most useful/performed the best for me up till now (might be helpful or interesting to somebody)

In order of decreasing usefulness/performance quality with their respective skill (which they are in the team for) in brackets:

1. Michael Clarke (bat) +(capt.)
2. Shane Watson (allr)
3. Phillip Hughes (bat)
4. Simon Katich (bat) [Test only]
5. Mitchell Johnson (bowl)
6. John Hastings (bowl) [ODI and T20I only]
7. Mike Hussey (bat)
8. Mark Cosgrove (bat) [ODI and T20I only]
9. Matthew Wade (wk) [mainly Test]
10. Peter Siddle (bowl) [Test only]
11. Nathan Hauritz (bowl) [mainly Test]

If anybody wants to do a similar thing for their game, it's actually quite fun!
Thanks for that - I find that very interesting. It raises a couple of questions for me though.

1. Are Ponting and Haddin gone then? Who are your other keepers?

2. Any limited overs spin options? How do Doherty/Dussey do?

I'm doing an in-depth analysis of AI selections for Australia, in my ICC09 save as at September 2011. Bet you can't wait to see that...

PS: Yes it's definitely fun!

Thanks for that - I find that very interesting. It raises a couple of questions for me though.

1. Are Ponting and Haddin gone then? Who are your other keepers?

2. Any limited overs spin options? How do Doherty/Dussey do?

I'm doing an in-depth analysis of AI selections for Australia, in my ICC09 save as at September 2011. Bet you can't wait to see that...

PS: Yes it's definitely fun!

Hi, yeah I'd definitely be interested in seeing yours, can't wait in fact :D

Ponting did rubbish for me at the start, I thought it may be just form so dropped him and brought him back in later but he didn't improve...so I guessed that he was past it and haven't picked him since.

Haddin still plays sometimes in ODIs, but after last season (20 ODIs at Bat Avg. of about 20.50) I'm trying to get Matthew Wade to wk in ODIs too as he's done well with the bat in Tests, not doing so well yet in ODIs tho.
I've tried Ronchi and Paine in limited overs formats as well and they both did awful so they're not even considered anymore...

My limited overs spin options are kinda limited, often I play Steven Smith as a bowling all-rounder (at 7 or 8) as he avgs only 25 with bat, but surprisingly 28 with ball. Apart from that, I use Cameron Boyce (23 yr old Victoria leg-spinner) and was using Cullen Bailey until his form slipped. I'm trying again with Nathan Hauritz in ODIs as he's done well in Tests (he seems to bowl really well on turning pitches but absolutely rubbish if the pitch is not good for spin). Also, Cameron White is useful but he tends to be either fantastic or s*** (still his avg of 24.19 is very impressive).

I tried Doherty for 2 ODIs a while back, he took 3 or 4 wickets in the 1st but went for around 70 runs. In the 2nd he went for about 60 with no wickets and hasn't been near the team since.
Dussey bowls part-time in ODIs (and T20Is) but with very few wickets at an avg of 111.00 and Econ. of 5.76 he doesn't bowl much any more (even in T20Is he's not very good-often gets smashed).

Okay, here goes. Deep breath...and...

I've only analysed batting in full detail, but I think I might have gone too far with that:yes. So I've just added in the best career bowlers in each international format, and the very best one or two domestics.

Batting

Test (averages over 35):

2011 (3 Tests): Ponting, Clarke, Hughes. Fails: Jaques, Haddin, Katich, Watson

LY (2010): Watson, Hughes, Clarke, Haddin, Ponting, Katich, Jaques

2009: M Hussey, Hughes, Katich, Jaques, Ponting, Clarke

Career: (only players from the above lists)
Hughes [email protected], Ponting 13102/53.92, Hussey 4832/51.96, Clarke 5065/45.22, Katich 4349/42.22, Jaques 2124/41.65

Rankings: 1 Ponting; 3 Hughes; 5 Clarke; 15 Hussey; 18 Haddin; 21 Watson

Knocking on the door (best of FC): D Hussey, T Cooper, (M Hussey), Rogers, Hodge, North, Khawaja, Rohrer, White, Symonds, Cosgrove etc. (Nowhere to be seen: Forrest, 2195 @33.77; Cowan 2274 @31.15)

NOTES: M Hussey had a bad 2010, and hasn?t been picked this year (only 3 Tests)
Haddin is the only current keeper who has Test experience. He also has the best FC average of any keeper (39.13). Next best is Ronchi (35.20), and then Paine (34.51). Wade is on 32.4 behind Mail (NSW?s number three(!), 33.94)

I would be picking:
Hughes
Katich
Hodge
Ponting
M Hussey (but it remains to be seen whether the AI will go back to him after a year)
Clarke
Haddin
and blooding D Hussey and Cooper

The on-topic segment of all this is that Hughes(22) and Cooper(24) could be called youngsters. :rolleyes

Bowlers:
Clark
Siddle
Johnson
Lee
trying Butterworth and blooding McKay

(None of these are youngsters lol)

ODI (inns/runs):

2011: Jaques (2/147), Hughes (3/178), Clarke (3/131), Rogers (1/37) Fails: Haddin (3/58), Watson (3/36), Hussey (3/29), Ponting (3/16)

2010: Ponting (16/538), Hughes (16/635), Watson (14/389), Hussey (10/266), Rogers (8/263), Clarke (15/417) Also: Jaques (9/218) Fails: Haddin (12/227), Katich (5/123), Butterworth (10/13.43)

2009: Hughes (34/1345), White (18/488), Jaques (20/728), Ponting (34/1128), Clarke (26/859) ALSO: Katich (14/489) Fail: Haddin (29/29.26)

Career (runs/avg): M Hussey (3801/44.20), Hughes (2158/43.16), Ponting (13047/41.68), Clarke (5691/40.08), Ronchi (76/38.00), Cosgrove (112/37.33)
ALSO: Jaques, Katich, Rogers, White, Watson, Haddin(2012/30.03)
Impressive Cameos/Others: S Marsh (14/566), Symonds (157/5006), Hodge (21/575)
Missing Out: D Hussey (415/29.64), Warner (6/106)

Rankings: 1 Hughes; 16 Clarke; eq22 Jaques; 24 Ponting; 38 Watson

Best of Domestic: Jonathan Wells (not a regen ? 28/978/46.57), D Hussey (168/6064), (Hodge), Wade (22/40.52)
(Nowhere Near: Forrest 804 @23.65)
Keeper Notes: Haddin is the only keeper getting picked. The only other keeper with ODI experience is Ronchi. Haddin has the third best batting average of keepers in domestic, after Wade (40.52 above) and Paine (37.73).

I would be picking:
S Marsh
Hughes (age 22)
Ferguson (26)
M Hussey
Ponting
Ronchi/Wade (23)
and blooding Wells (23)

Bowlers:
Cockley (25)
Butterworth
Bracken
Lee
Tait

T20I (inns/runs):

2011 (2 matches): Rogers(2/129), Hughes (2/63), Ponting (2/27) ALSO: Watson, Clarke, M Hussey, Butterworth, Haddin

2010 (12 matches): White (6/144), Haddin (8/155), M Hussey (12/267), D Hussey (6/114), Clarke (11/249), Hughes (5/136) FAILS: Ponting (12/171), Watson (10/166), Warner (7/91), Katich, Jaques, McDonald

Career: White (13/296), D Hussey (12/291), Hughes (7/199), M Hussey (23/467), Haddin (15/202), Warner (12/268)
Impressive Cameos/Others: Rogers (2/129), Symonds (10/337), Hodge (5/94), Voges (2/52)
Missing Out: Ponting, Clarke, Watson, McDonald, Katich, Jaques, Butterworth

Best of Domestic: Career ? Symonds, Hodge (70/2196), S Marsh, Pomersbach (43/999), Carseldine
2011 ? Pomersbach (11/300), Cooper (13/357), North (13/348)
2010 ? Liam Davis (11/289), G Batticiotto (12/330), G Mail (7/233)
NOT FAR AWAY:
G Bailey ? career 42/905/27.42; 2011 14/270/24.55; 2010 15/260/23.64
L Davis ? career 29/639/27.78
Then: North, C Simmons, Warner (46/967/24.79)

Keeper Notes: Haddin is the only keeper getting picked. Ronchi has 2 international innings, and on those is not far behind Haddin. Haddin (34/627/25.08) is far and away the best keeper in domestic ? second is Mail averaging 21.71

Without allowing for form, which I can?t work out, I would therefore be picking:
Rogers
Hughes
Symonds (as a bat)
White (as an a/r)
D Hussey (part-time bowler but has been used and has good figures)
Hodge
Haddin

I don?t suppose the AI will pick Symonds or Hodge ? I wonder whether it will go back to White and D Hussey, and/or away from Watson/Clarke/M Hussey

Bowlers:
Noffke
Siddle
(White)
McDonald/Geeves/Hilfenhaus
Watson
and probably try Paul Davis (53 domestic career @ 11.47)

Hughes is the only youngster here - oh well! Some things are too interesting to stick to thread titles!

In the above save, as at the end of last month, the Australian Test team was as follows:

Hughes
Jaques
Clarke
Katich/Ponting
M Hussey/Katich
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Tait
Cockley

Judging from their last match, they were using all five bowlers equally.

If it was my team, I would bring back Hodge in place of Clarke, D Hussey (Test debut) in for Jaques, and move Katich up to open. In bowling, I would debut McKay, and bring back Butterworth, in place of Tait and Cockley. Thus I would have:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hodge
M Hussey
D Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Butterworth
McKay
Siddle

Just noticed that Watson is also gone, since I've got all three of Ponting/Katich/M Hussey. There are no other youngsters or even regens ready to come in just at present.

EDIT: Oh yeah looks like Stuart Clark has retired...

Starc turns out okay with a bit of nurturing, he'll never be a great player though. Lynn is a good long term prospect. He was my captain after Clarke and averaged about 60 in tests with a triple century to his name after about 30-40 tests. :)

At the moment I'm going for realism, I'm picking guys like Lyon and Doherty, aswell as Cummins and Pattinson and trying to win with them. Warner and Cowan are my opening test pair even though Hughes/Katich/Marsh might be better choices.

Can't speak for other versions, but in ICC09 Australia seem to have a complete lack of spinners right around now. There's no-one in Tests - so much so that they seem to have given up and bowl 5 pacemen. The other formats are much the same.

I also notice in T20, where some spinners get to be very useful irl, there are no spinners with an econ rate of 7.50 or below in domestic! Okay I exaggerate - there's one - O'Brien - and some part-timers like Dussey (and North!!!??) who hardly bowl. While there are other countries that don't pick spinners much in T20, none of them have the economy blowout like Australia.

Starc/Pattinson are nowhere in this save, and Cummins isn't in the game. I haven't got Lynn either - or Lyon. The AI has discovered Cockley (who's kind of a youngster at 26) and Butterworth/McKay by itself, and debuted Siddle in ODIs, but they're all oldies of course. There are a couple of young bowlers "knocking on the door", but they're regens.

In batting, I mentioned Wade, and Ferguson, as well as Jonny Wells, who averages 43 in List A compared to 30 irl.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread