AVG detecting '181' iTunes files as viruses: Trojan Horse small.BOG

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
AVG, one of the most popular anti-virus programs, is causing confusion today by wrongly identifying iTunes files as trojans. After updating its virus definitions, the anti-virus software finds up to 181 “viruses” in iTunes: attempting to quarantine the files prevents iTunes from working. The supposed virus name is “trojan horse small.bog”.

An extensive thread in the Apple discussion forums shows that AVG is giving a false positive: meaning there’s no risk of trojans in iTunes, and quarantining the files will break your iTunes install. You can disable the alerts by creating an exception in AVG:
1. Open AVG

2. Go to Resident Shield -> Manage Exceptions -> Add Path

3. Add C:\Program Files\iTunes and C:\Program Files\iPod​
OR
1. Download the latest update of AVG​
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is just a heads up. I know a lot of forum members will be using AVG and their would be a handful who also use iTunes as well, this topic is for those people.

So don't fret or panic when an AVG warning came up about an ituneshelper.exe trojan horse like I did :p

EDIT: I just noticed I posted this topic into the wrong forum. If the mods would kindly move it to the 'Forum of/for the Web' thingy.

Last edited:
AVG have updated the bug. A simple update will solve your problems.

Exceptions are not a highly recommended idea, there's no really good reason why a virus would never infect your iTunes folder. AVG is known for the odd glaringly false positive, which seems to be an effect of its heuristics engine. While the main way an antivirus works is to search for evidence of known viruses, heuristic algorithms look for virus-like activity and basically make an educated guess. You can fairly safely uncheck "use heuristics" in settings if you keep the program updated daily and scan often. In any case, it's good to keep things updated.

Users who are viewing this thread