Backing up a DVD

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Of late, my laptop's DVD-ROM has been giving a lot of problems to me. It isn't being able to read CDs/DVDs. Each time I have to eject the disc, then insert it and do the entire process a lot of times for the CD/DVD to be read.

This problem has irritated me for a while now. There are many games which need the CD/DVD to be inserted, and each time when I change the discs, it takes away at least 5-6 minutes.

Is there a way by which I can back up the discs in my HDD and play the games without inserting each CD/DVD every time?

And the problem is DVD specific. For instance, the DVD of Ashes Cricket 09 is read in 2-3 attempts but that of NBA 2K11 takes at least 7-8 attempts for the laptop to read the disc. Is it a problem with my laptop or the DVDs?

Chewie

BCCI President
I'd say it's your DVD drive. I'm not sure if it'd work but you could make an image of your disc and then mount it using image mounting software.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
This is the same damned problem I'm facing. I thought it was my DVD ROM. But, it reads other DVDs than game discs absolutely fine. AC09 is pathetic. I've to eject it numerous times to play again if I quit.

Also, image mounting won't work. I tried for AC09 but it says insert original disc.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
This is the same damned problem I'm facing. I thought it was my DVD ROM. But, it reads other DVDs than game discs absolutely fine. AC09 is pathetic. I've to eject it numerous times to play again if I quit.
Yeah, most of the discs work perfectly for me too. Even AC09 is fine but NBA 2K11 is just pathetic.

And I guess if we re-install the games, mount them in a virtual drive and then install them, then it should be fine.

Pranav

ICC Board Member
I had this issue with my previous computer. This is usually due to a disc which has scratches on it + dirt on the lens of your DVD drive.

Buy a lens cleaner and run it as per the instructions given on the pack. Next, spray some deo on the shiny part of the disc and wipe it with a dry cloth and then try to install it.

Should definitely improve the situation in my opinion.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I downloaded the trial version of Alcohol 120%, but whenever I try to install it, I get message asking me to reboot my system. Even after rebooting, I keep on getting the same message.

What is the solution to this problem?

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I can't even install that, it gives the same message, asking to reboot. I know that its a problem with the SPTD driver in Windows 7. Its a well known fact that Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% give problems while installing on Windows 7.

PowerISO is an alternative but I am not liking it tbh.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Did you try MagicDisc? I am using it right now on Windows 7 for mounting image files as DVD.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
I am using VirtualCloneDrive to mount images. I need a software which can create an image file of my game disc.

Aswin8

Chairman of Selectors
i think daemon tools would be the choice for it

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, but due to some SPTD driver issues on Windows 7, I am unable to install it.

Aswin8

Chairman of Selectors
Me too using win7 and i couldn't install first..but i have downloaded another version from web and it works like charm

Users who are viewing this thread