Bangladesh Opening Pair And Top Order Concerns

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Brittle Opening pair and Top order tops the list of present concerns of Bangladesh Tigers.

The exodus of talented cricketers like Aftab, Kapali to ICL has made matters worse.

It goes to credit of Jamie Siddons that he has been able to bring about marked improvements in Tamim , Saqib, Raqib as far as batting is concerned though in the past few series Tamim ?s form has taken a nose dive and a real worry for Tigers and Fans alike.

We have not seen any improvements in the past few series ( Opening Pair and top orderwise) and with consistent collapse of Opening and top order the bowlers will soon get disheartened and lose heart to deliver telling blows to their opponents and all the good work of Bowling Coach Champaka will die out.

It may be a good idea for our Head Coach Jamie Siddons with so many concerns in the team- Opening Pair ,Top Order, Fielding ? specially slip position to consider a Batting consultant to assist him and the two that comes to mind are :

Sourav Ganguly ( best option as being a bengali he would be able to communicate easily with our batsmen).

Or Matthew Hayden ( recently retired).

Any comments/suggestions will be welcomed.

Cheers!

Robin

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Just drop Ashraful and everything will be fine. This would be a perfect playing XI for me in the meanwhile:

Tamim Iqbal
Mehrab Hossain
Junaid Siddique
Raqibul Hasan
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim
Naeem Islam
Mashrafe Mortaza
Abdur Razzak
Nazmul Hossain
Rubel Hossain/ Mahbubul Alam/ Shahadat Hossain

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I don't want to drop Ashraful, but it has to be done. He's a waste of talent, and waste of a spot in the side. Unless he gives up trying to be the next Viv Richards and actually focuses on batting when he is in the middle instead of trying to whack every bowler for four, he'll be no use.

Tamim is still young a raw. Give him more games, especially at Domestic level and A-team tours, and keep him in the frame.

The main problem with finding an opener is a lack of experience. Bangladesh need to play more cricket. Opening the batting is like Poker, need to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. When to hit the ball and when to let it go. They need to learn what it is like to bat for long periods of time, but they need more cricket for that. So it will take time. Atleast the middle order seems to be learning.

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Just drop Ashraful and everything will be fine. This would be a perfect playing XI for me in the meanwhile:

Tamim Iqbal
Mehrab Hossain
Junaid Siddique
Raqibul Hasan
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim
Naeem Islam
Mashrafe Mortaza
Abdur Razzak
Nazmul Hossain
Rubel Hossain/ Mahbubul Alam/ Shahadat Hossain

Hello Khalek Bhaiyya,

Thanks for your input.

Your choice of team composition is near perfect. However it is doubtful BCB would remove Ashraful from the team despite his consistent failures.

Cheers!

robin2855

Club Cricketer
I don't want to drop Ashraful, but it has to be done. He's a waste of talent, and waste of a spot in the side. Unless he gives up trying to be the next Viv Richards and actually focuses on batting when he is in the middle instead of trying to whack every bowler for four, he'll be no use.

Tamim is still young a raw. Give him more games, especially at Domestic level and A-team tours, and keep him in the frame.

The main problem with finding an opener is a lack of experience. Bangladesh need to play more cricket. Opening the batting is like Poker, need to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. When to hit the ball and when to let it go. They need to learn what it is like to bat for long periods of time, but they need more cricket for that. So it will take time. Atleast the middle order seems to be learning.

Hello ZoarxDoom,

Thanks for your inputs.

We all know if the opening pair fails it puts a lot of pressure on the top Order( 3,4) that rubs subsequently on the remainder batsmen.

One should not expect Raqib, Saqib and Mashrafee to bail out the team every time our Opening pair and top order collapses.

We have not seen any improvements in the past few series ( Opening Pair and top orderwise) and with consistent collapse of Opening and top order the bowlers will soon get disheartened and lose heart to deliver telling blows to their opponents and all the good work of bowling coach Champaka will die out.

We do appreciate Champak Ramanayake as Bowling Coach whose efforts are already showing good results in a short span which everyone can see.

I am of the opinion a Batting Consultant (preferably Sourav Ganguli or Matthew Hayden) will go a long way to solve the opening pair and Top order misery.

Cheers !

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
what makes you think either one of them will except the offer? Ganguly or Hayden wouldnt even think twice before saying NO to the offer?

robin2855

Club Cricketer
what makes you think either one of them will except the offer? Ganguly or Hayden wouldnt even think twice before saying NO to the offer?

Hello Maclovin,

Thanks for your input.

I personally feel they are appropriate choices as solution for our opening pair/ top order concerns.

I never mentioned in my thread one of them will accept if offered.

But if team management feels it is necessary per their assessment it may be worth taking a shot by sounding them. Whether either of them accepts is a different story.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
if they did the basics right coaches and ex-players and the like would be a lot happier about taking consultation roles. but the bowlers don't even try to put 6 balls on line and length, they do 2 then have to try a bouncer or a yorker or something. The batsmen are similarly woeful for always trying for too much, and the fielding is below average.

a team of guys in their early 20s should be at least fielding well.

If I was there coach I'd set a limit of something like 10 balls on line and length for every deviation, if you throw an absolute pie way wide, or way too short, you do the 10 line balls again. for batsmen get them surviving at least 30 balls before they try anything and get the fielding tighter.

as it is there is far to much indiscipline for a side that trails considerable behind it's peers in terms of nuance, talent and experience.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Hello Khalek Bhaiyya,

Thanks for your input.

Your choice of team composition is near perfect. However it is doubtful BCB would remove Ashraful from the team despite his consistent failures.

Cheers!

Well its not only doubtful but its almost next to impossible. I dont see how he will be dropped in the next 1 or 2 years because of his past contributions. Even if he strikes a fantastic form for a whole year, I wouldnt like him to be in the side. He has made a very bad impression on everyone. He has failed in numerous occasions and thats cost us a lot of games. He just doesnt have what it takes to be a good batsman, whenever he comes out to bat you feel like he will get out in no time. BCB should understand that even a tailender can bat better than him, for example Abdur Razzak or Mashrafe.

Another problem is Junaid Siddique, this guys can really bat but he's just another Ashraful. We might need to try and find a really good young talent (Not Imrul Kayes for sure :p) or just bring back Alok Kapali from ICL.

Users who are viewing this thread