Batting problems - I suck!

Blackcaps Rule

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm having trouble batting on the PS2 with Cricket 05. It's really hard to get the confidence up and I keep edging the ball. I can never hit it in the right direction...

Any help guys would be appreciated. I want to know HOW to get confidence. :help :cheers

my friend gaining confidence is a simple affair just try to play the ball in middle of bat but don't use power boost button. within four or five you will get enough confidence to make big shots. a tip for you is that when they bowl yorker or full length delivery just play it to leg side with single button. if you got it right you will see you confidence bar ticking. hope it will work for you cause i have adopted the same stragtey.

Yep, I agree with wakas908...with yorkers, just leg glance them,
you'll usually be able to pick up a run if you do it right.

Andrew...

Andrew G said:
you'll usually be able to pick up a run if you do it right.

Andrew...
I usually end up being out lbw... though i have tried the shot in the training mode and my shots timings are usually ideal....

still my highest score is 55.... even though i rarely use the power boost button.... I do get a lot of run outs though

Andrew G said:
you'll usually be able to pick up a run if you do it right[/I]

yep I agree just be careful not to play to early as you may pop it up for the square leg to take an easy catch.

With the power button is it pressing it first and holding it and then selecting the direction of the shot etc?

Yeah watch for catch to square leg and lbw, just try to keep wickets in hand and take the singles and later on to say about the 40th over you can then go for the power boost

RoboRocks said:
Yeah watch for catch to square leg and lbw, just try to keep wickets in hand and take the singles and later on to say about the 40th over you can then go for the power boost

If you're playing a 50 over ODI I do not agree with this statement. Personally I use the first 15 overs (EDIT-when th fielding rstrictions are in place) to hit out with the power boost. It's the only way to reliably get the ball through the field. You should hit the 15 over mark with AT LEAST 100 runs otherwise you will be in trouble (well probably not really 'cos it's so easy to get the CPU out!). Then you have some breathing space because the field change means you will need to score mainly thru singles or two's. THEN you can hit out again in the last 5-10 overs, depending on how many wickets you have in hand.

The way I learned to bat in this game was by playing tests. You can take your time and try different strokes. And it's harder to hit a 6 in a test than in a ODI. So if you can learn to regularly hit 6's in tests then you should be fine in ODI's.

Just remember ... play each ball on its own merits. You can always leave them you know.

P.S. I play Hard difficulty with a hybrid patch I made from Boss's patch combined with Tutsi's CPU bowling and Satish's outfields.

P.P.S. It is worth spending some time in the nets with this game. At the end of the day you need to learn how to time the shots. When I first started I was only scoring with the on drive or leg glance. Then I learned how to time the cover drive. Then I started working on back foot shots. I almost never play the straight drive - it is ridiculously dangerous in this game as every batsman leaves their gate wide open when they play it (bowlers take note!!!!!!).

P.P.P.S. When you start nailing the specialty shots you are really gonna appreciate the batting in this game :)

Last edited:
take singles thrugh the covers, or whip it thrugh square leg, then with wickets in hand boundries can come at regualr intervals

Not sure how different this is on the Playstation ...

I find it rediculously easy - depending on your batsman - in the first few overs. The slog sweep is very effective if timed well, and generally quite safe; and if it's pitched up, the leg glance is great for a quick single.

Cover driving is only effective if the confidence is well up, and then I find it works well if timed a bit later tahn you would expect - keeps the ball down, rather than looping to a fielder's outstretched hand. Personally - I wouldn't do this one in the early stages. And watch that field change if you do slog sweep to a healthy total. When the field is back it will be caught - unless you're a bloody strong ******* and hit it so far out of the park they need a man on the roof to catch you ...

Users who are viewing this thread