Your Cricket Becoming more of an Agressive Batsmen

Waxb18

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi Guys...

FIRST POST WHOOP WHOOP

First off my story...
I began playing cricket at the age of around 5,
never got involved in a proper team, just friends meeting up at the park for a knock around
when i got to secondary school I had my first taste of a proper cricket match, which i enjoyed (mostly because i was a lot better than most of the other lads at that age),
however being the little delinquent that i was i began smoking and practising with recreational drugs and not paying attention in school etc etc

thats all behind me now and for the past two seasons ive been with a team playing in the lower levels of cricket league and am very slowly working my way up towards the cricketer I used to be.

Last season i was a solid NO.19, No.10 Batsmen and was given the odd over to bowl here and there but knowing in the back of my head i could be a lot better i have, through off season, been training twice a weak to improve my batting and bowling and am starting to find some form and consistency.

I have been given the nickname Misbah, because of my Tuc Tuc style of playing,
Last nets session i have been told by my captain that ive made great improvements and he wants me coming in towards the end of an innings to either hold it together or boost the run rate with a few overs to go and that i need to practise my aggressive game.
Now when i got into the nets to bat my agressive game i found it way too difficult to hit the ball as i would when im playing passively

What i really need is advice on playing more of an agressive game and switching mentality

I understand that its practise practise practise but any advice would be much ppreciated.

Thanks for the read :thumbsup:

some things you could do are -
practise match's - play as you would and make sure its as serious as a normal game.
range hitting - set up a bowling machine and a nice big area and let your aggresion loose.
biggest tip is to keep your head down and watch the ball!

It's a funny thing about low level cricket, that it normally takes 20-30 years before people start to realise they should bat how they're comfortable batting. Treat each ball on it's merits, get yourself in, and then you can look to be more aggressive.

That said, some people are better suited to just going in and getting hard bat on ball early. Getting their runs before they inevitably get out. Others to accumalating over an innings, making sure the team doesn't keep having new batsman at the crease. It is then captain's job to make sure that batting lineup is structured right.

Increase the strength in your forearms, thus improving bat speed. You can swing as hard as you like but if you aren't strong enough to clear the boundary it's going to be hard for you.

Developing forearms like Mitch Johnson or David Warner might be a start. :D

Hey mate thats kinda like me, I've always been a pretty cautious defensive batsman who tended to get out if trying to speed up.

I guess my advice is play each ball on its merits and look for gaps in the field.

Becoming more of an aggressive batsman

If you aren't a successful big hitter already, don't try to be one. It hardly needs to be said, but a single every ball is 6 an over.....and as you put the ball into gaps there'll be a 2 every now and then and then a 4! Keep your eye on the ball, get behind the line and push it into gaps with a soft grip. Then, as you "poke about" at one end, the "big hitter" at the other is going to swing and miss twice, mis-hit straight to mid-on once, hit an occasional 4 and last an over or two before being clean bowled or caught on the boundary. In that time, you will have 8 runs, don't look like getting out and can see the ball well......who wants to be a "big hitter"? That way, you will be a reliable and invaluable batsman for the team lower down the order. Unless you really are Kevin Pietersen (who looks like an amateur against left armers but is very good at texting!) try to become Collingwood - I know who I'd have in my team.

Users who are viewing this thread