Beginning of the new era

skysportslogo.gif

Danny off the mark for Portugal
18th August, 2008

2ekt3jb.jpg

Danny in action against Faroe Islands

Portugal and Zenit start Danny has spoken his delight after breaking his international duck with a goal against Faroe Islands.

Danny, twenty-five-year-old attacking midfielder joined Zenit from Dynamo Moscow for a record Russian League fee in 2008. Danny has scored seventeen times for Dynamo Moscow in ninety-seven appearances. Danny was handed his second international cap against in the friendly against Faroe Islands.

Danny who scored the second goal of the match against Faroe Islands with a beautiful finish in the bottom right corner, told the post match press conference that he wanted to thank Carlos Queiroz for having faith in him and admitted that he now couldn't wait to pull on a Portugal shirt again.

"I want to thank Carlos Quieroz for having faith in me and giving me 45 mins to play and impress the manager. Carlos has had an huge effect on the confidence of the team which was low when we were out of the EURO 2008. But now it is high and we feel that we can beat any team with that. I am very happy to have scored by first ever Portugal goal in my second appearance for the country. Its a proud moment for me to play for the country and to score for the country is something special. This goal has really given me a lot of confidence and I cant wait to play again for Portugal and help the team to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Danny
Portugal"

skysportslogo.gif

Portugal squad for Malta and Denmark games announced
14th August, 2008

2pqwdbc.jpg

Ronaldo during Portugal's training camp

Carlos Queiroz today announced his second squad as Portugal manager and will hoping that once again he gets his selection and tactics right as Portugal face Malta before they take on Denmark in their World Cup qualifying campaign.

Manchester United and FIFA World Player of year Cristiano Ronaldo returns to the 26-man squad though Ronaldo is suffering from his injury he is set to be ready just in time for the first game against Malta. Jose Bosingwa who had to be removed from the squad at the last minute for Caneira is back in the squad. While keeper Nuno stays in the squad for injured Ricardo which means Rui Patricio could make his competetive debut.

Rumours say that Cristiano Ronaldo is favoured to lead Portugal in the qualifying campaign but Carlos Queiroz will be making the final announcement in two days time.

Carlos Quieroz had this to say about Portugal's squad and upcoming game.

We have two important fixture against Malta and Denmark which we need to win to start our World Cup Qualifying campaign on a high. There are some positives for us. Ronaldo and Bosingwa return to the squad will surely boost the side and also we are high on confidence after the win against Faroe Islands.

The Squad

Goalkeepers
Quim - Benfica
Nuno - FC Porto
Rui Patricio - Sporting Lisbon

Defenders
Jose Bosingwa - Chelsea
Paulo Ferreira - Chelsea
Ricardo Carvalho - Chelsea
Bruno Alves _ FC Porto
Nuno Valente - Everton
Pepe - Real Madrid
Miguel - Valencia
Caneira - Sporting Lisbon

Midfielders
Miguel Veloso - Sporting Lisbon
Maniche - Atletico Madrid
Joao Mutinho - Sporting Lisbon
Raul Meireles - FC Porto
Tiago - Juevntus
Danny - Zenit St Petersburg
Nani - Manchester United
Ricardo Quaresma - Chelsea
Simao - Atletico Madrid
Deco - Chelsea
Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United

Forwards
Nuno Gomes - Benfica
Yannick Djalo - Sporting Lisbon
Helder Postiga - Sporting Lisbon
Hugo Almeida - Werder Bremen

Mate, wonderful story. How do you find the time to make a soccer story as well, as probably the best active cricket story going around

Mate, wonderful story. How do you find the time to make a soccer story as well, as probably the best active cricket story going around

Well I am having the free time of my life after the exams. Its is enough to update three stories, watch some 2-3 movies per day and also play football/soccer 4-5 hrs a day ;)

A good squad there, I'm particually pleased with the amount of Chelsea players included :)

skysportslogo.gif

Ronaldo named Portugal skipper
2nd September, 2008

91jo5d.jpg

Ronaldo in press conference

Portugal coach Carlos Queiroz has named Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo as his captain.

Winger Ronaldo, 23, who led Portugal in this years EURO 2008 in Austria-Switzerland was given the nod ahead of Chelsea's Deco and Benfica's Nuno Gomes. The UEFA player of the year, who has won 58 Portugal caps, begins his stint as captain in Saturday's World Cup Qualifier against Malta at Ta' Qali.

"To lead my country is an huge achievement for me. It was my dream as a child and today it is fulfilled." said Ronaldo. "I heard about an hour before the news conference, just after training. The manager called the whole squad together and told us as a whole. For me to get it above the likes of Nuno Gomes, Deco, Ricardo(Carvalho) and the other players in the squad is a great honour." Ronaldo added: "My target now is to qualify for the World Cup and that's the aim going forward."

Quieroz revealed Ronaldo's "leadership quality and winning attitude" was the deciding factor. "Nuno, when he was captain, played very well" said the Queiroz. It was not easy for me to choose because they are very good players. The leadership quality and the winning attitude of Cristiano was the reason I chose him but Nuno and Deco are very important to the team."

Deco has been named as vice-captain of the national team. Portugal's World Cup qualifying campaign begins in September, with ties against Malta in Rabat and Denmark in Lisbon.

Ronaldo was the captain under former coach Luiz Felipe Scolari for the EURO 2008 where they were defeated by Germany in the quarter finals. The winger played an inspiration part in Manchester United 2008-09 campaign and also ended the season on a high scoring 42 goals.

Manchester United successfully defended their Premier League title by defeating Wigan on the final day where Ronaldo scored the penalty and also went on to win the Champions League by defeating Chelsea in which Ronaldo scored but missed the spot kick during penalty shootout.

Queiroz has taken his time to choose who will wear the armband on a permanent basis, the decision coming three months after he was appointed as Scolari's replacement. Nuno Gomes wore the captain's armband during the friendly against Faroe Islands but Quieroz said he would appoint the permanent skipper before the starts of the World Cup Qualifiers.

Despite hating him, I think that Ronaldo is a great player so I'm pleased to see that he will wear his country's armband.

skysportslogo.gif

Raul Meireles rejects Malta walkover
4th September, 2008

21cxac3.jpg

Raul Meireles in action for Portugal

Portugal's Raul Meireles has revealed that Portugal should not allow complacency to creep into their game against Malta on Saturday.

Interviewed by O JOGO, the central midfielder made it clear that it would be dangerous to see the Malta game as an easy win and it was essential that the players were completely focused. Raul Meireles also added that the team is full of confidence.

"Malta game would be our first competitive match under new manager. We cant take them lightly and by no way we would be under-estimating them. They are very good side and could break our defence on the counter attack. It would be very dangerous to see Malta game as an easy win and its very essential that our players stay completely focused.

"Malta are a very good and tough side at home and it would be a difficult job to win there. But we have the confidence in the team and with Ronaldo returning the confidence in the team has increased. We are hoping to play some good entertaining football."

Raul Meireles
Portugal

skysportslogo.gif

Malta 0-3 Portugal (HT)
6th September, 2008

15490zc.jpg

Ronaldo celebrates his freekick

Teams
Malta: Haber, Falzon, Schembri, Grech, Azzopardi, Aquilina, Paris, Schembri, Xerri, Misfud(C), Sciberras.
Portugal: Patricio, Ferreira, Carvalho, Pepe, Bosingwa, Deco, Joao Moutinho, Maniche, Simao, Deco, Ronaldo(C), Nuno Gomes.

1 min: Kick Off
Portugal get the game underway

10 min: Patricio Save
Misfud picks up Aquilina's fine pass, Misfud goes by the challenge of Ricard Carvalho. Michael Misfud comes forward, Misfud tries his luck from an angle but Patricio pushes the ball away.

16 min: Ronaldo Chance
Joao Moutinho brings the ball forward. But Sciberras trips Joao Moutinho and a freekick is award. Pepe passes the ball forward to Ronaldo. Ronaldo comes forward and aims for the top corner. But Ronaldo sends the ball high into the stands.

20 min: Ronaldo Goal
Paulo Ferreira puts a low cross in to the far post. Marin Schembri gets up to head the ball clear. Ricardo Carvalho gets well above Misfud to win the ball and he heads the ball on. Aquilina knocks it down to Misfud with his head but Maniche steels it. James Paris trips Maniche. Freekick awarded to Portugal. Ronaldo has a crack from the free kick. CRISTIANO RONALDO SCORES FOR PORTUGAl!!!
That was a trademark thunderbolt freekick from Cristiano Ronaldo. CRISTIANO RONALDO SCORES A FABULOUS STRIKE!!

22 min: Kick Off
Malta get the action underway.

27 min: Ferreira Goal
Nuno Gomes loses out to Martin Schembri, Schembri scrambles the ball away. Joao Moutinho has no problem intercepting the ball and he moves teh ball forward. Joao Moutinho looks to play it to Deco. Deco with the ball for Portugal. Deco moves the ball right for Paulo Ferreira. Paulo Ferreira runs with ball and shoots from long range and bends the ball towards goal and PAULO FERREIRA SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!!!

28 min: Kick Off
Malta again get the game underway.

31 min: Ronaldo Chance
Carvalho reads the game well to intercept the ball. Carvalho works the ball inside and plays it to Maniche. Maniche comes forward and plays the ball ahead to Ronaldo. Ronaldo run inside and shoots but puts it into the side netting.

35 mins: Haber Save
Deco takes the ball forward and passes along the floor to Nuno Gomes to pick it up. Nuno Gomes advances with the ball and shoots but Justin Haber saves and holds onto the ball.

44 min: Nuno Gomes Goal
Ru Patricio comes forward and feeds the high ball forward. Deco goes after the ball and moves forward with the ball. But Grech trips Deco and freekick for Portugal. Deco takes the quick freekick and plays the ball forward to Simao who crosses it first time. Nuno Gomes is unmarked and tried a diving header. NUNO GOMES SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!!!

45 min: Kick Off
Malta get the action underway.

45+1 min: Joao Moutinho Chance
Paulo Ferreira plays the ball forward, Nuno Gomes goes after the ball and passes in the centre. Joao Moutinho gets to the ball first and hits it on the half volley but the ball goes clean over the bar.

45+2 min: Half Time.
A first half where Cristiano Ronaldo has run Malta ragged came to an end.

Users who are viewing this thread