Best Game Ever (for its time)

• Thread starter Deleted member 9102
  • Start date
Pro Evo 1 on the PS2 was brilliant. It was a breath of fresh air from the FIFA series which just got progressivley worse. The graphics and gameplay were so much smoother.

As far as RTS games go, Age of Empires is pretty hard to beat.

How can u forget MAFIA, the best story mode and action game till now, and then Max Payne Series and GTA III comes into contendor for the best games.

and next one THE GODFATHER is coming, it will surely rock.

I haven't played basically any of these games mentioned but ISS Pro '98 I thought was brilliant for its time. I think it was the second game in that series and then came the evolution ones.

sonic the hedgehog on the genesis gave a new twist to platforming type of games
and yes FF7 and metal gear on psx were awesome too

Sonic the hedgehog is good :D I loved the original one it really picked up the pace of the other games in its genre!

ALL TIME FAVOURITE - Half Life 2 , man i love that game :D :cool:

FIFA Series : Fifa 98 :) , mainly due to chumbawumba song ;)

jk16_4 said:
ALL TIME FAVOURITE - Half Life 2 , man i love that game :D :cool:

FIFA Series : Fifa 98 :) , mainly due to chumbawumba song ;)

Fifa 98 is probably the best game I've ever played. Obviously not the best graphics, even gameplay, but it stuck out in it's generation as a fantastic game. It was far more addictive than some of the crap being churned out today.

James219 said:
I haven't played basically any of these games mentioned but ISS Pro '98 I thought was brilliant for its time. I think it was the second game in that series and then came the evolution ones.

At least one football fan on this forum has some sense ;)

Fifa 98! almost makes me cry to think what you guys missed out on :(

I honestly believe for it's time no better footie game has been created than International Superstar Soccer (ISS) 98 or 2000 (was just the complete polished version of '98). As you said, both followed on from ISS64, which had in turn all followed on from Iss, and Iss Deluxe on the Snes (also excellent for their time).

It was the N64's version of what is now called Pro Evo, and even back then it was infinitely a better footy game than any Fifa ever. :cheers

For me including all games it would be hard to leave out Civilization 2 or most of the Champ Manager series, just because of the sheer amount of hours in my life they stole.

Final Fantasy VII still has one of the best set of characters in any game ever, and if you can find me a game these days that offers 20 hours of play on just the first disk of three, I'd shake your hand.

Doom, then, Goldeneye, followed by Half Life in the FPS arena both broke all sorts of boundaries, as did GTA for the free-roaming aspect.

Come to think of it, there are far too many games that have captured my imagination, but the one's I've mentioned were certainly some of the top class ones.

One final one... Pong! :D