Best retired Batsman and Bowler!!!

Prepare for my ridiculas biased opinion which shouldn't be take seriously.

Bowler: Hadlee, because I am biased
Batsman: Crowe, because I am biased
All-Rounder: Cairns, because hes just retired and I am going to be as biased as hell.

But its true for best retired NZ players ;)

Last edited:
anakwalajinn said:
Dude, let the guy be patriotic if he wants to..
That is not illegal is it?
It is a bit redundant when one talks of just their country's cricket on a cricket forum. I used to be the same way and had my blood boiling every time somebody mentioned a non-Pakistani player as the best. I take it easy now and just enjoy cricket.

Anyhoo, on topic, from what I have seen, Wasim Akram was the best. As for batsmen, hard to say, but its gotta be between Saeed Anwar and Steve Waugh. Of course Lara will be my numero uno choice once he retires, and Inzi and Dravid close seconds.

Batsman-Don Bradman or Viv Richards
Bowler-Wasim Akram or Courtney Walsh
Allrounder-Imran Khan or Ian Botham

Last edited:
I hope no one says Darren Lehman for anything lol (thats if your talking about retired from INternational Cricket)

Batsman: Bradman
Bowler: hmmmmmm who should i say

Batsman: Of Course, The Great Don followed by Sonny Gavaskar and Viv Richards.
Bowler: Shane Warne, followed by Wasim Akram and Dennis Lillee.

Alrighty than...

Batsman- Probably Don Bradman
Bowler- hmmmm.... Wasim Akram or perhaps Courtney Walsh
Allrounder- Imran Khan or Ian Botham

Courtney Walsh for great bowler.Well that has to be joke cos the guy didnt get to bowl with the new ball for 9-10 years.He wasnt the best even in his own time so greatest bowler to have retiered ???????? He has got that many wickets true but he was never as deadly as AMbrose,Marshall or even for tha matter Bishop.

Wasim Akram,Waqar Younis,Allan Donald,Ambrose from the ones who I have seen.

Obviously Waugh was a good player, but in my opinion not technically that great, so that discounts him. Bradman is too far back for me to have an opinion.

So: Batsman would be Viv Richards.
Bowler: Wasim Akram
All rounder: Garry Sobers

Steve Waugh or Viv Richards (batsmen)

WAsim Akram and Walsh (bowlers)

Batsmen - Don Bradman, closely followed by a MASSIVE GAP. 6996 runs @ 99.94 didn't come through fluke, he actually batted pretty well. Imagine being able to expect a player to go out and score a century. Mike Hussey at the moment is enjoying freakishly good international averages, but everyone knows deep down that they won't last.

Think about how good Ponting is right now. Best batsman in the world convincingly, can't do a lot wrong (in Tests). Imagine if a team had two Pontings in their team. Bradman (minus bodyline) would've nearly doubled Ponting's average.

Bowlers - There's no distinctive best. Heard that John (?) Wisden was an excellent bowler (the one they named Wisden after) and had a first class average of about 6 or 7, but you have to take into account the crap pitches of those days. But, really, nobody stands out above the rest like Bradman does as a batsman. Of the recent retirees, I have to agree with the guy who said Wasim Akram, to bowl as well as he did in the spin-friendly sub-continent shows that he was a very good bowler. Glenn McGrath to beat him once retired though.

Sureshot said:
Ermm how is not everyone putting the Don in?
Good question. I'm curious too.

Users who are viewing this thread