Bodyline tactics

Speaking of bodyline, I'm very eager to see a beamer hurled towards a batsman at full speed in the game.

No, Bodyline was bowled in one test series and shortly after that they changed the rules so that it could never be bowled again.

well, sustained "bodyline" really only featured in that series, but Notts did use Larwood and Voce to bowl fast leg theory before England implemented it. Jardine didn't invent the theory, leg theory itself was a long-standing tactic. Just very few fast bowlers were accurate enough to bowl to these fields so it tended to be the preserve of slower bowlers.

Notts and other counties began to use it more during the 1933 season, as well as the 1933 West Indies touring side using it against England (who were not picking Larwood any more).

The law wasn't changed until 1935.

Wasn't leg theory just balls bowled around leg stump with a leg-trap field - the opposite to the current tactic of bowling around off stump with most of the fielders on the off side? It turned into fast leg theory/bodyline when you got quicker guys to bowl only bouncers; rather than bowlers just bowling leg side lines.

It would be an interesting thing to try regular leg theory in the game though - see if it would work as it did IRL (very boring, grinding cricket with low run rates and no real chances to take wickets is how I've seen it described...) - I'd imagine that bodyline would be harder, but probably more effective...

whether the AI would do it.

It was more a question of wondering how the AI would deal with bodyline being delivered against them. Doubt the game would be programmed in detail enough that it would know it had the option to load that section of the field with fielders and bowl those kinds of balls if the rule was turned off (then again, have been surprised more than once so far with this game).

Bodyline would be useless without fear of getting hit .

Or getting hit and lowering your confidence

And that's why the game has injuries. Maybe "you" won't be injured, but you don't want a load of retired hurts in your scorecard either.

Really if you can get injured and there are no helmets and same safety equipment as it was then it can be an amazing. BA can implement it like missions to play body-line series and other such occasions, I haven't seen injuries yet so I am yet to make my POV on that how it will go and how often you can get injured how many blows you need. If it is too realistic may be I will injured my 10 batsman when I start playing all needs to be seen first.

P.S. I would love to chase Pakistan V Srilanka (latest sharjah test) and to score with RR with all the negative bowling would be so amazing to live those moments in history (I think this all needs a lot of licensing).

Users who are viewing this thread