Bouncers

You'd have to have a billionty animations to not do that, though.

Tom - I still think the Bounce is a bit off, when they leave, or it goes a bit down leg-side, etc. It's a good 6 inches too low.

zimrahil said:
t's a shame that if animation chosen is wrong, the ball doesn't carry on on its original path

The problem with this is that if you timed your shot very wrongly, so you should by all rights miss the ball, if the path of the ball happens to intercept the bat for that animation, you wont actually miss the ball. There are two ways of looking at this.

Firstly, that's fine, as the shot you've 'chosen' to play definitely suits the line of the ball (maybe a defensive shot on off stump) so you should still register a reasonably hit. The problem with this is that you are breaking the game mechanic of timing = shot quality. So the other option is that you force the shot animation to be chosen so that it definitely misses the ball. This keeps the game mechanic intact, but means that sometimes you see animations which really don't suit the ball - like sometimes you see the batsman defending towards cover, and the ball goes behind their legs and hits leg stump.

You'd have to have a billionty animations to not do that, though.

Not if you start to introduce some sort of procedural-ness to the animation engine. This is non-trivial with cricket though (when compared to something like baseball) as the ball can arrive in a wide variety of places and different angles. This is actually what I'm doing my dissertation on at present. Maybe it'll find its way into a future cricket game...? ;)

Tom - I still think the Bounce is a bit off, when they leave, or it goes a bit down leg-side, etc. It's a good 6 inches too low.

You might be right here. Although it's pretty much just a cosmetic thing. Having said that, the whole 'back foot shots to yorkers' problem is really just cosmetic, but it still has a large perceived effect on the gameplay - i.e. it's bloody irritating and you feel a bit cheated!

Absolutely, it's not always the case with yorkers, sometimes they look awesome, I think that's a general issue with the whole game, a few niggles that take a lot away from the game that pulls it down from a 9 to a 7.5/8. It is very frustrating, though.

Surely it couldn't be too difficult to add a parameter that on a certain length only front or back foot shots can be used?

Also what you alluded to, Cricket is probably the most difficult sport to get right in a game, maybe even up their with the complexity of racing physics. So many variables.

^Once only :eek:. You either play the game very rarely or you are kidding. In ODIs/T20I, yorker will be pulled/cut 7 out of ten balls. :facepalm

^You are a lucky guy Watson and you will not get wickets, you will be whacked for six over third man/fine leg even if you bowl a perfect yorker :facepalm.

Actually this happened to me on Monday. (50 Over ODI series on HArd).
The batsman was going nuts and hitting everything on the 3rd man area for SIX. I bowled 3 balls (straight) on the yorker length, bowled the 4th (Yorker, slow ball), he got out LBW. I did not stop there i bowled the 5th and 6th deliveries (yorker and slow ball) and unlocked the trophy.
So we do get some wickets, if we are lucky.

I have bowled bouncers that have hit the batsman and yorkers that have hit the feet and given lbw and bowled.
I have also been hit for 6 off a yorker
Actually watching the aussies play pakistan the other night the same thing happened. Someone hit a yorker for 6.
You guys are very picky about how the game should be. After all it is a game. And a much better one than any that has ever been produced. If you are looking for reality grab your mates and go outside to the park otherwise enjoy it for what it is. The best cricket game ever produced.

I have bowled bouncers that have hit the batsman and yorkers that have hit the feet and given lbw and bowled.
I have also been hit for 6 off a yorker
[B]Actually watching the aussies play pakistan the other night the same thing happened. Someone hit a yorker for 6.[/B]
You guys are very picky about how the game should be. After all it is a game. And a much better one than any that has ever been produced. If you are looking for reality grab your mates and go outside to the park otherwise enjoy it for what it is. The best cricket game ever produced.

That was afridi who hit a full length ball (not a yorker) from Tait STRAIGHT down the ground for six. The keyword here is straight. Afridi did not cut or pull it for six. The game is good. Almost every one agrees including me but these little things can make it great. It does not take a rocket science to see yorkers can not be cut or pulled for six.

I stand corrected although you will probably find the majority of yorkers in real cricket are just full length balls generally only bowled at the tail for fear of being smashed over the boundary by good batsmen. As I think you will agree the hardest ball to bowl is a yorker. As with this game a perfect yorker gets results. I also stand corrected but the ball I was referring to, the batsman stepped aside and smashed it over the boundary not over the bowlers head. Call it what you like but it was a yorker gone wrong which I believe most do.
If the majority agree that it is a good game with a few very minor issues then lets applaud it for what it is and hope the next version or patch (I doubt a patch is coming) improves on it.

Users who are viewing this thread