Bowling is an absolute joke

brad352

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Get the game, start a one dayer- Aus (me) vs Eng (CPU), hard mode
England choose to bat, I get hit around a bit- 0/25 off 2, Gillespie 0/18 off 1, everything's great. But it isn't of course, never could be- 24 overs on and England have moved to 2/81, 56 runs off the last 24 overs. Wouldn't be so bad, you'd think- well how about 7 runs off the last 11 overs. Brad Hogg 5-5-0/0, Gillespies last 6 overs 6-4-0/7, one of which was a six and one a no ball.

So we have 2 balls scored off out of the last 66, and one wasn't even off the bloody bat. The CPU is all but incapable of scoring singles- in fact there's been 5 runs out of the whole innings that haven't been from boundaries. What's the secret you ask- HALF VOLLEYS. Anything remotely full on the stumps will be driven and roll slowly to mid off or mid on, with the only variation being a slog every now or often which will go for four or six- so that leaves us with about one scoring shot every ten overs if you don't bowl outside off stump, hardly admirable AI. The only bright side- EA had the foresight to include autoplay :rolleyes:

Incidentally, custom fields are screwed- set a field you like for your spinner? Great, your guy at the other end now has it as well, regardless of what he bowls, so you have to change it every over.

Anyway, off to have a bat

That is incredibly poor. Although i figured as much. Thankme for autoplay!

Fair point brad, but when in an odi do a team only bowl yorkers, or full deliverys. Thats not great ai from you is it old chap. :) he he he

Anyway to catch the cpu out and get wickets you need to bowl some variation. You must be getting bored bowling the same deliveries over and over again.

Agreed Gas; so there are ways of restricting the cpu, just use some will-power and only use that particular delivery once or twice an over, or less. It's poor that the AI doesn't adjust to such glitches, but it's like those threads you see; 'Bowl the cpu out for under 10!' : I don't bother reading them.As in all previous cricket games I try to bowl as that particular bowler would in reality.
Still, Brad, wait till you have a bat; can't wait to see what you say after that ;) .

It's not as if it's just one particular spot though, I've found that anything not short that's on the stumps just rolls to mid on/off- and that's not really all that unrealistic a place to bowl as opposed to say bowling constant yorkers or short balls- can't really blame the CPU batsman though, I can't beat them with a drive either :o
Should just be edited to be a bit more powerful and then the CPU and I can both score some bloody runs- at least it's not through incorrect shot selection and is fixable, unlike "bolw ShOrt wif spinnr and c0mp gtes blowed"

Problem is, even disregarding the drive issue, they're incapable of scoring singles, so it's pretty much impossible to get a realistic CPU innings

Last edited:
brad352 said:
.... unlike "bolw ShOrt wif spinnr and c0mp gtes blowed"
LMAO :D .
I've found there are several strokes that need amending direction/power-wise. Hopefully the c2k4 stroke/cfg editor can be amended to work with this game by the talented powers that be ;) .
I do agree though that you can tie the cpu down with spinners, but as I mostly bowl spin with Ashley Giles I find that to keep it realistic I'm bowling outside leg to the right-handers most of the time, so getting swept/milked on the leg-side ;).
Even had the cpu play a reverse sweep earlier .

jonah said:
LMAO :D .
I've found there are several strokes that need amending direction/power-wise. Hopefully the c2k4 stroke/cfg editor can be amended to work with this game by the talented powers that be ;) .
I do agree though that you can tie the cpu down with spinners, but as I mostly bowl spin with Ashley Giles I find that to keep it realistic I'm bowling outside leg to the right-handers most of the time, so getting swept/milked on the leg-side ;).
Even had the cpu play a reverse sweep earlier .

Ahh the good old Ashley Giles line. Im using that in my test matches. For the 1st test match against pakistan i had Ashley Giles and Ian Blackwell in the team. :onpc :onpc

The_gas said:
Ahh the good old Ashley Giles line. Im using that in my test matches. For the 1st test match against pakistan i had Ashley Giles and Ian Blackwell in the team. :onpc :onpc
The spin kings? :hpraise :hpraise . I bet Inzy was all of a fluster ;) .

jonah said:
The spin kings? :hpraise :hpraise . I bet Inzy was all of a fluster ;) .

I actually clean bowled Inzy with an inswinging 93mph full toss which destroyed his off stump. :cheers

Haha Brad, yeah bowling has been dumbed down for Cricket 2005. :)
I bowled England out for 108 (50 overs) and about 40 of them were no-balls.
The run rate was about 10 in the first 5 overs, but when the openers were caught out, their innings steamrolled to about 2 runs per over.

Well I'm hopefully getting this game today, and after hearing what people that have played it have said about it, it's not looking promising. Is there any good points about this game?

Users who are viewing this thread