Buchanan was right (partly)

ZoraxDoom said:
I agree with quite a bit of it, expect Suni Gavaskar. He is the most non-racist commentator/expert I have seen!
That, and the Aussies are more than just agressive at times. I mean, picking on young debutants when you have the greatest bowlers in the world in your team? Why do you need to do that?
It's mental intimidation, obviously you know that but the Aussies are just hungry, picking on players is what a strong team does, it seems unfair but that is professional sport, bonding as a team, and picking out individuals who might be unsure of themselves is an unfortunate but common thing in cricket, and it allows Australia as good as they are.

ZoraxDoom said:
I agree with quite a bit of it, expect Suni Gavaskar. He is the most non-racist commentator/expert I have seen!

rather than disagree with you, i'll let Sunil's own words prove you patently wrong...

"....When I faced Holding, I recieved four bouncers in an over and a beamer which Holding pretended had slipped from his hand...To call a crowd 'a crowd' in Jamiaca is a misnomer. It should be called a mob. The way they shrieked every time Holding bowled was positively horrible ... All this proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that these people still belonged to the jungles and forests instead of a civilised country."

racist little teapot said:
That, and the Aussies are more than just agressive at times. I mean, picking on young debutants when you have the greatest bowlers in the world in your team? Why do you need to do that?

do you think england didn't go after Symonds when he was struggling to prove his worth in the longer form of the game?

do you think the Saffers and Poms didn't have a go at debutant Stu Clark (until he mowed through them and became one of the world's leading fast bowlers, that is)

as for age...few, if any, young debutants get a baggy green these days because of our excellent succession planning

what's wrong with seeing if a young player is mentally ready to be playing professional sport?

at least the Poms have moved towards giving opportunities to experienced players...some might not think much of Paul Nixon but at least he is old enough and ugly enough to give as good as he gets...perhaps even a little more (and good on him)

young players they should not be earning big money to play before they are ready just because the administrators in other countries are too disorganised, factional or corrupt to put good systems in place - how is it the Aussies fault if India throws a young kid into the deep end?

Steve Waugh has vivid memories of his baptism of fire as a 19 y.o. vs the West Indies...the very same team that Sunil claims as role models when he said:

"They went about their job in a no fuss manner and hardly had anything to say to the opponents"

it boggles the mind how incorrect that statement is and highlights the historical revisionism that Sunil is leading to try and bridge the ever-widening gap between Australian and Indian cricket :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread