Clarke or Symonds - There is a scenario though.

Who do you take on the tour?

• Total voters

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok, picture this. You are a manager of a team that is going around the world to play 3 Tests, 2 Twenty20's and 4 ODI's in that order. A test win is 3 points, a draw is 1 point. A ODI win is 2 points and a Twenty20 win 1 point.

The selectors have picked a squad and you have to choose from Clarke or Symonds to take on the tour for the number 5 spot. You can only take 1 for the whole tour as no one gets injured :p and you play everywhere in the World so we can't use the argument of how good one of the players are in a country.

When you select a player they don't change form at all during the series, so they keep their current form.

Do you take Clarke who is a much superior and reliable Test player, a great fielder and handy bowler. Winning all 3 Tests is vital as doing that means you only need 1 One Day win to wrap up the tour. His one Day from is poor, but his captaincy is vital in Twenty20's, same with his electric fielding and great bowling. He is a good bowler in One Dayers too.

Or do you take Symonds? A less reliable Test batsmen, but can score big runs in One Dayers and can hit big in Twenty20's. Winning all 4 ODI's give you 8 points, which means just 1 Test wraps up the tour. His bowling is very handy and can adjust to whatever needs to be bowled according to the track. Look at the order of the matches too, Symonds can get in big hitting form in the Twenty20's to be prepared to score a lot for runs in the One Dayers.

I would probably take Clarke. His Test form is great and saved us many times during the Summer. His One Day form is good enough, and he is a good bowler and fielder which is needed.

Also, Symonds isn't the best behaved player and Clarke's vice captaincy could prove handy as it has made him more mature and responsible.

Last edited:
They can pick different players for ODIs and Tests surely?

If yes, then Clarke a shoo in to the test squad, and Symonds over Clarke when it comes to ODI s and the T20s.

If no, considering their recent cricket (and lack of it) and other non-field issues, (I love Jessica Bratich), I'd go for Clarke, though I will try maximum not to get him play in the ODIs.

This is a better player vs. player thread, at least we have a scenario to compare the players. I would take Clarke without doubt. Much more reliable and much less controversial :D.

This is a better player vs. player thread, at least we have a scenario to compare the players. I would take Clarke without doubt. Much more reliable and much less controversial :D.
Lol at the signature. Funniest I;ve seen here.

clarke is much better technically and i guess the future captain of australia.

Interesting thread. Well, I would pick Clarke, a reliable batsman, an excellent fielder and a good part-time bowler.

Sounds like it's turning into a normal player vs player thread. I was hoping to get more into detail,that's why I provided the scenario. You need to pretend that either Clarke or Symonds will practically win you the match. Do you think Clarke is capable of that in ODI's and Twenty20's? You may win the test series 3-0 (going 9 points up) but then lose the remaining six games to lose the tour 10-9.

Sounds like it's turning into a normal player vs player thread. I was hoping to get more into detail,that's why I provided the scenario. You need to pretend that either Clarke or Symonds will practically win you the match. Do you think Clarke is capable of that in ODI's and Twenty20's? You may win the test series 3-0 (going 9 points up) but then lose the remaining six games to lose the tour 10-9.

Mate, have you checked Roy's ODI stats of 2008? His form has detoriated severely over the last few months. Compare Roy's stats with that of Pup's. You'll get the answer why people are voting for Clarke.

Cricinfo link to Roy's ODI stats (2008)

Pup's ODI stats

Pup's average isn't good either, in fact it's almost the same as Roy's. But overall as an allrounder Pup is ahead.

But you know what the funny thing is? In 2008 Roy's average in tests was better than Pup's., although only by 0.19 runs

Last edited:
Yeah but he scored a lot less runs compared to Clarke in Test cricket.

In less matches.

So this whole thing takes a new twist, who's a better player in Tests? What do you guys think? Stats say Roy:working. Logic says Pup.:idea Hmmmm......confusing.:confused:

Last edited:
In less matches.

Yeah I know. Played less because he is too immature and irresponsible.

I kept thinking back to 07 when we played in India for some reason in One Dayers, don't remember much of our one day cricket in 08.

Feelin Blue? added 1 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Also, it's easier to get a higher average in less matches. Plus Symonds didn't have to go to India in the tough conditions. He only played WI.

Yeah I know. Played less because he is too immature and irresponsible.

I kept thinking back to 07 when we played in India for some reason in One Dayers, don't remember much of our one day cricket in 08.

Feelin Blue? added 1 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Also, it's easier to get a higher average in less matches. Plus Symonds didn't have to go to India in the tough conditions. He only played WI.

You're right. I'll still pick Clarkie for tests. But one thing, do you remember how Roy shaped his innings vs India when his team was in trouble in Sydney last year? If we leave aside the wrong umpiring decisions which went against India in that test, that was indeed a superb innings. So the thing that Roy cannot perform under pressure situations in tests is somewhat incorrect.

Last edited:
Clarke by the length of the Flemington Straight. Well, for one Symond's has a very poor attitude in terms of 'off' the field. And he has a very very weak defence. Clarke has a good attitude, and a solid defense. Sure Symonds can swing the bat, but he is very unreliable when out of form. Get him in when hes making runs, you cant force roy. So yeah, clarke may have made a duck last night, but that was a bit unlucky. Go for the pup.

Users who are viewing this thread