Correct Length for International Series

2 Test series should be banned (unless playing Bangladesh)

Used to be one-off Tests for the unrated opposition

Ie India vs South Africa this year where it finished 1-1 and both teams won by an innings.

Playing an odd number of Tests is no guarantee of a series result, for me it should be a standard of four Tests, but for that we'd need to lose some of the mismatches ie two-tier ;) What is wrong with a draw anyway?!?!

TESTs : Four test series standard
ODIs : FOUR ODI series standard, might at a push go for five but any more than five quite often end up over by the fourth or fifth ODI
T20s : ZERO T20 series standard, it's not cricket and should be confined to domestic cricket and the odd T20 World Cup

Every tour should be at least 3 tests long, would be better if it was 5, or even go back to the olden days where it was 6...
3 ODI's should do the job, in a bigger series with better teams I'd like to see 5, just because I can actually get to watch an ODI match without me missing a day because something else is on.
As for T20's, either one or none. Its such a hit and giggle contest, its a bit of a joke. Leave it for the domestic circut where it actually makes sense to have t20, because it gives the game more exposure. I'm not complaining with the exposure international cricket is getting because of T20, I just don't agree that its starting to become the more prominent form of the game. And lets be honest, giving 6 weeks of the year up to the IPL is a farce, I'd much rather see a decent tour going on then some advertising riddled game that's purely designed for further fueling some very rich indians back pockets.

I would go with:

3 Tests
5 One Day Internationals
1 Twenty 20 International

Three tests is a good amount, has to either be 1 or 3 T20's, and 3 is way too many.

I would agree with this really maybe 4 tests so that you can have more results because almost always there is atleast one draw in a test series. Other than that perfect amount of games.

My experience of T20Is has been that my non-cricketing friends quite enjoy them - and once they've been to one, they get to know a bit about the players in a tour and are much more interested in cricket thereafter.

So I'm not going to be a snob about it...

The Three-by-3 tour schedule
Week 1: 3 T20Is on Fri/Sat/Sun (attracts new fans)
Week 2: 3 ODIs on Fri/Sat/Sun (introduces new fans to greater complexity of ODIs)
Week 3: First Test begins on Fri (possibly with a late start on Fri)
Week 4: Second Test begins on Fri (possibly with a late start on Fri)
Week 5: Third Test begins on Fri (possibly with a late start on Fri)

A couple of notes:
- This schedule is short, sharp and intense. Much more of an event than the meandering tours we've been seeing lately.
- Tour matches could be played during the week, although obviously the international teams wouldn't be fielding full strength squads. Wouldn't mind seeing the host nation playing "tour" matches, actually.
- If both nations are particularly good in a format (eg Pakistan vs Sri Lanka in T20Is, or Australia vs India in Tests/ODIs), then you should add an extra week or two with an extra two matches in that format.

3 ODIs in 3 days followed by a Test match a week for 3 weeks will lead to a lot of injuries

3 ODIs in 3 days followed by a Test match a week for 3 weeks will lead to a lot of injuries

Players are already being rotated in and out of the playing XI, so we might as well take advantage of the opportunity that creates.

Can you imagine? Work finishes on a Friday and you head down to the SCG with a bunch of mates whom you've persuaded to spend a few hours at the cricket that night before you head out later on. Tait hits 160kmh twice, Nannes breaks someone's arm and Warner hits 13 6s on the way to a magnificent century. Jack from accounting actually catches one of the sixes and is pretty pleased with himself.

Everyone has a ball and asks loads of questions. You end up agreeing to watch the WACA ODI at a pub next Saturday because it's got "the greatest chance of someone's arm being broken again", and everyone thought that was a pretty cool moment in the game.

Saturday rocks around and it turns out people have been following the games in the paper or watching at home. They know that Tait didn't make the ODI squad and that Harris is injured, but they've turned up anyway because apparently Josh Hazlewood is playing and he's supposed to be the next thing and why not anyway? So you have another great night and it's a thriller of a match, because although New Zealand is lacklustre they did manage to fluke a T20I series win and therefore took a lot of confidence into the ODIs.

Two office outings in two weeks is plenty, so no-one talks about going to see the Test matches in the following weeks. But the TV is always on in the break room during the Tests and everyone at work is talking about them (at least a bit) and when the SCG Test goes down to the fifth day with the series hanging in the balance, no-one turns up to work until a miraculously recalled Tait gets the last wicket with a wicked bouncer.

And then, miracle of miracles, you actually get some time off before the next tour because they're all so compressed. And the cricketers go home to their wives and domestic competitions, and all is right with the Sheffield Shield as it was in days of yore.

0 Tests, 0 ODIs, 15 T20s :laugh

Users who are viewing this thread