Cover Drive

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I've been reading several threads here about cover drive not being part of the game. Today I was batting and I could play the cover drive:

I have the patch 2 installed. I am not sure if it was because of the patch 2 or if it already there.

BRAB

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Off topic but it's annoying that the adboards don't show up in the right order. Should be the emirates logo instead of the natwest ones in that video

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I've been reading several threads here about cover drive not being part of the game. Today I was batting and I could play the cover drive:

I have the patch 2 installed. I am not sure if it was because of the patch 2 or if it already there.

That's an off drive which goes in the arc between mid off and extra cover. We are talking about conventional cover & square drives to complement the existing off drive as follows...

Off Drive: Arc ranging from mid off to extra cover
Cover drive: Arc ranging from Extra Cover to Cover Point
Square Drive: Arc ranging from Cover Point to Backward Point

You do have a replacement of Square drive which is the front foot cut shot but not a square drive and the conventional Cover Drive is not present.

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
My bad. Looks like cover drive should have the batsman hit the ball finer on the off side, more angled towards off side. I tried it and the batsman was actually stretching and dabbing the ball on the offside

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
the 'low' square cut animation also needs to be changed. its like a flat bat push to point.

I've lost count of the number of times I was LBW while playing the shot. Depending on the length of the delivery either the batsman steps back to leg and pokes the bat out to cut the ball, or the batsman somehow steps/leans/crouches in towards the ball and the ball ends up hitting the pad. Both the animations - step back & poke and crouchy cut - need to be improved upon.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Totally agree. Annoying as hell esp when you're set and starting to score only to go out to a stupid animation.

I have cut out the following shots from my repertoire and it helps a lot...

1. Front foot cut shot (3'0 clock on RS).
2. Late cut against spinners as wkt keeper acrobatically catches everything (between 3'0 clock and 6'0 clock on RS).
3. Straight drive (playing in the V) against spinners as spinners stop everything and in fact are even better fielders than the ones in DBC 14.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
I have cut out the following shots from my repertoire and it helps a lot...

1. Front foot cut shot (3'0 clock on RS).
2. Late cut against spinners as wkt keeper acrobatically catches everything (between 3'0 clock and 6'0 clock on RS).
3. Straight drive (playing in the V) against spinners as spinners stop everything and in fact are even better fielders than the ones in DBC 14.

Thats my way of playing the game currently as well . Paired to the Areas that Shots dont go to , and lacklustre fielding , its a bit of a no no in terms of Online Gameplay

Hence my saying that although its enjoyable and playable , it will need 2 - 3 Patches to get it perfect so that realistic Online Games / Tournament can be had.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Thats my way of playing the game currently as well . Paired to the Areas that Shots dont go to , and lacklustre fielding , its a bit of a no no in terms of Online Gameplay

Hence my saying that although its enjoyable and playable , it will need 2 - 3 Patches to get it perfect so that realistic Online Games / Tournament can be had.

True. The part about batting is that it doesn't seem fun. When you see an over-pitched delivery on or outside off you know before hitting it exactly where the ball will go. Same with leg side clips/glances etc. And against spinners you are essentially left with off drive and clip/flick to Square Leg. With more variation in strokes and more shot zones there's excitement in seeing where the ball will actually go once you play it or you are eager to see whether you have beaten the fielder. So far you know most of the stuff already before playing the shot and the only suspense is whether the ball is timed well enough to get to the boundary or not.

Users who are viewing this thread