Cursor when batting

sweet magee

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Maybe I'm missing something but I just got the PS2 version of the game and when batting it seems like by the time you see the cursor to show where the ball's going to pitch you can no longer move your batsman left or right. Been a while since I played the last version but I'm sure you used to see the bowler cursor, then be able to adjust your position before the ball was actually delivered. Having just batted a few overs it felt like you had to guess where the ball was going to pitch and moved your batsman. Then the cursor pops up and you might be miles away from where the ball's actually going to go. Tried all the different skill levels and looked for an option to improve things but no joy.

Any ideas ? At the moment this seems to make batting almost impossible - not much chance of playing a shot when you've had to just guess where it might pitch !

but really, u shoodnt need to move him, i mean u dont see sum1 from any team just randomly moving left, do ya?

Why on earth would you want to move him? Let me get this straight, you would usually wait to see where the ball pitched, and then move the batter? Jesus, that's pathetic. What if the ball was a wide down the offside, would you move your batsman so all 3 stumps are showing behind his legs?!

BTW, where did you get your PS2 version from? Mine is still 'pre-ordered' with Game.

Ok, just dug out Cricket 2004 and I wasn't imagining things - the new game IS different to 2004, and every other cricket game I can ever remember playing as you definitely can't get yourself in line with where the ball's going to pitch.

Whether this is realistic, like real life etc doesn't really matter but what's the point in having the ability to move the batsman left or right before the ball is bowled if you don't have any idea at all where he's going to bowl it ? So everybody else just leaves their batsman in the same position for every single ball that's bowled ?

In every other cricket game I can remember you see where the ball is going to pitch, adjust your left / right position accordingly and then choose / time your shot when the ball's bowled. Now suddenly left and right is only any use for taking a random guess at where the bowler might pitch the ball.

"What if the ball was a wide down the offside, would you move your batsman so all 3 stumps are showing behind his legs?!" - the point is I'd like to have the option, as has always been possible before.

Sorry for daring to bring this up and thanks for the abuse but at least I now know I'm the only person in the world who ever dared to move left or right to get in position before the ball was bowled in all the other cricket games I've played for the past 20 years.

You absolute fool, go and play baseball or something, you really don't have a clue about cricket, do you? What would be the point of bowling different line and lengths if you're just going to move your batsman across so you can play the same shot everytime?

The ability to move your batsman is for realism, if you want to move him, that is. You don't have to leave your batsman in the same position for every ball, just move him a little bit to one side occasionally, and it's pot luck as to whether this will favour you, as in real life.

What do you mean, adjust your position accordingly? You are an absolute joke, you don't deserve to own a cricket game.

You'd like to have the option? In other words, you want to make the game as unrealistic and boring as it could possibly be?

What's daring about it? It's cheating, and it's extremely boring. If i did this on cricket 2004, i could hit a boundary through the covers on every single delivery.

I always thought a good option would be to turn the cursor off all together so its just like playing real cricket. Then again im not sure how good the game would be because of it. Miines still preordered from Play.com *******S.

I thought that Dave, but then realised it would be really impossible, so i think that maybe they've got it right with this one. Mine is still pre-ordered with Play, so i decided to order it from Amazon too, and it is now on 'items despatching soon'.

I think not being able to move after the cursor is set is much better. The reason why you may want to move your batsmen prior to the ball being delivered however is if you prefer to bat say on leg stump, middle stump, or you may just want to give yourself more room on the off side etc, but by doing this the bowler then can adjust where they bowl it as they would do in real life if someone is moving around in their crease.

My copy arrived at work this morning and i am seriously thinking about nipping home with a bout of sickness.

Cricket 2k5 is superb ,dunno wot i was even worried about judging by all the crap its been given. I been playing for a few hours now and i aint seen any bugs wotsoever, it is so smooth and georgeuos gfx and batting and bowling feel great, brian lara cricket can go get stuffed coz i find it to acadey but thats just my opinion trust me guys Ea have got it right this time wh000000

sweet magee,

I adjust batsman position based on the cursor position all the time. Its useful when you have to pull a hook shot or want to play a different shot based on the length and the line of the ball.

scousepig must have never played cricket in real life, so he/she compares it with baseball.

Cricket 2005 is no where as good as cricket 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread