Tutorial: Dale Steyn signature tutorial! Need outcomes!

Helpful?

• Yes :yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No! :noway

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

GlitchInTheMatrix

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Hello guys, this is my second tutorial. This is a signature tutorial on DALE STEYN. It's very easy if you have slight experience with PS.

This is what we'll end up after finishing the tutorial:

123214d1398841481-neer-s-gfx-watto-dale-steyn-ds.png

So, let's get started! :thumbs

*Start up a new document with the following settings-
attachment.php

*I've used the following stock for my tutorial. Beginners should use it.

Dale Steyn goes berserk after a sensational victory | Photo | World T20 | ESPN Cricinfo

*Place your stock, always hold SHIFT key while resizing- that'll avoid any unwanted distortion to your stock. My stock placement:

attachment.php

Now, we are starting to roll.....

PART 1: STOCK MANIPULATION

*Copy your stock layer TWICE (Ctrl +J). Here's the stock blending-

-Bottom Stock Layer: Leave it alone, don't do any edit with it.
-Middle Stock Layer: Blending mode- "Soft Light", Opacity: 100%, Fill: 57 %.
-Topmost Stock Layer: Desaturate it (Ctrl+Shift+U), set the Blending mode to "Hard Light", Opacity: 100%, Fill: 79%

Our outcome till now-

attachment.php

PART 2: TEXTURE USAGE

*Place TEXTURE 1, desaturate it. And erase a bit over the body with a 30 pixel soft brush. Change the Blending mode to "Overlay" with 100% opacity and 55% Fill. Showing the way how i pasted the texture. (Don't leave it like this, i just showed you how i pasted it, change the blending mode of the texture as stated couple of lines ago.)

attachment.php

*Now place TEXTURE 2, change the blending mode to "Soft Light" with 100% opacity and 99% fill. Select a soft eraser and erase over his tummy and hand.

*This is the most important step of making any graphics. It's lighting. To give it a perfect lighting, you can use many variation of colors. This time I used Gold and White (In different layers). Select a Soft Brush which is 135-200 px. And, keep the FOREGROUND color as "White" or, color code- fcfafa. Now give a lighting with the settings stated above. Again, create a new layer, now brush again with the same sized brush. But, with Golden Color or, color code -fef1b5. And, change the blending mode to "Screen"

If you have done the way I stated, Our outcome till now-

attachment.php

*Now, in a new layer. Apply The Image. Then go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and apply this settings
attachment.php

Then, Change the Blending mode to Hard Light. Opacity: 100, Fill : 76.

*Then place Texture 3. Change the Blending mode to Overlay. Erase everything of Texture 3 whichever is covering Steyn's body.

*Now to add Gradient Map to give it some perfect coloring. I've selected my Foreground color as "Green" and Background color as "White" to apply a gradient like this.
attachment.php
Change the blending mode of the Gradient map to "Soft Light" and 57% fill.

Our outcome till now

attachment.php

*Place texture 4, Change the Blending mode to Soft Light. And, select a 50 px soft brush and erase over the body only.

Our outcome till now

attachment.php

*Select a Good smudge brush. Then, smudge only the edges of Steyn with a 40 px smudge brush. If you don't have any Smudge brush, then download them from deviantart.

Our outcome till now

attachment.php

*Place texture 5 over the body. Change the blending mode to Screen.

*Place Texture 6 on the bottom part of Steyn. Change the blending mode to Screen.

*Now, lighting time again! Select the Gold color again, select a 20 px soft brush. Brush on Steyn's two shoulders twice. Change the Blending mode to Overlay.

Our outcome till now

attachment.php

*Place Texture 7 on Steyn's shoulder and change the blending mode to "Linear Dodge" and Fill 56%, Opacity : 100%

*Place Texture 8 on Steyn's Bottom part and change the blending mode to Screen.

*Give the sig a Curve like this-

attachment.php

Our outcome till now

attachment.php

*Place Texture 9, desaturate it. Change the blending mode to "Soft light". Then again, erase over the body with a 30-50 px eraser.

*Use color balance according to your work, as in mine
attachment.php

Our outcome

attachment.php

PART 3: FINISHING TOUCHES

*Create a new layer. Apply the Image. Go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and select the radius "45". Change the blending mode of that layer to Lighten. Fill: 50%.

*Select the Golden color again, then produce lighting with a 30 px brush. Wherever you think the lights would make it better. Change the Blending Mode to Overlay.

*Select Golden color, put a text on Steyn's body as "Steyn". I've used the "SundayMonday" font. Then put the text layer on "Overlay" mode. Then go to blending options and give it an outer glow like this

attachment.php

Our outcome till now-

attachment.php

Now, it's the Final Effect time! Don't make your work look trash with these effects. Give selective colors according to your Color and Concept. Mine-

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

*Finally, create a new layer. Apply image. And, sharpen it. And HOORAH! You're done!

I'd love to have some comments. And, please hit THANKS if this tut helped you. And, consider posting your outcomes.

Made it because of @RPHKR @futurecricketer 's request.
I think it'd be helpful to lot of guys like @Mukesh888 @ea ragav @Rohit45 @Davoo @Salman.
Need comments from @ThebigGgamer @warlord @Sulaiman7 @Anirudh. @Anish. @Jaisuraj
Resources are attached.

Attachments

• tutpic1.png
    tutpic1.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 276
  • tutpic2.png
    tutpic2.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 278
  • tutpic3.png
    tutpic3.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 279
  • tutpic4.png
    tutpic4.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 275
  • tutpic5.png
    tutpic5.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 263
  • tutpic6.png
    tutpic6.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 255
  • tutpic7.png
    tutpic7.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 252
  • tutpic8.png
    tutpic8.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 249
  • tutpic9.png
    tutpic9.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 248
  • tutpic10.png
    tutpic10.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 254
  • tutpic11.png
    tutpic11.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 284
  • tutpic12.png
    tutpic12.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 242
  • tutpic13.png
    tutpic13.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 246
  • tutpic14.png
    tutpic14.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 244
  • tutpic15.png
    tutpic15.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 255
  • tutpic16.png
    tutpic16.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 249
  • tutpic17.png
    tutpic17.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 249
  • tutpic18.png
    tutpic18.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 237
  • tutpic19.png
    tutpic19.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 241
  • tutpic20.png
    tutpic20.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 242
  • tutpic21.png
    tutpic21.png
    3 KB · Views: 243
  • SteynTUTresources.rar
    5.8 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
Tutorial wise: Very well done tutorial, teaches all how to blend the render with the background well, and how you can give renders some good effects, simple but very effective effects too. :clap Steps by steps make this easier for those who are new, so yet again brilliant thing you done there. KUDOS. :clap
Signature wise: If I was judging this as a signature I will say, a bit too bright and text placement could have been a bit better, perfect otherwise. :thumbs

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Awesome tut man! :clap

Rohit45

Banned
Much helpful will surely try tomorrow or withing 2-3 days.RPHKR's tut yet to try so surely within 3 days.To make stuffs is easy but to let others do same by teaching them is very hard and it take tons of time so will surely try and post outcomes.:thumbs:clap

SambarVadai

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Excuse me till.18-19..Ill have my holidays and will post a.brilliant outcome.
Content wise,I guess you've done.a great job...Highly simple language..
Keep it UP :)

FC Akash.

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Epic tutorial mate best ever i have seen till now
I will post my outcome before tomorrow night :)
Any staffs please add this to tutorials thread
Eagerly waiting to see more from you especially the watoo one :yes :clap:clap :cheers:cheers :thumbs

Jaisuraj

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well done,That's an awesome tutorial and presentation too.I just love your signature works!.Will be useful for many guys here including me ;)

GlitchInTheMatrix

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
When I try to give some curve, it applies to the current layer only.
How to apply it to whole signature?

If you're using PS Cs 6, then select the photography mode. Then you will see bunch of adjustment layers on the top right position. From there you can find it

GlitchInTheMatrix

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
Wait an hour. I will post screenies.

BTW, really decent outcome, ragav. It needed a better stock. Also some part of the BG looked messed up. Kiu

Users who are viewing this thread