Do you believe in the "commentator's curse"

Does the commentator's curse bring about bad luck?

• Yes

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Prue nonsense for me although it's always funny hearing a commentator says they batsmen is going so well then gets out. The commentators basically are there to comment on how the players are going, the amount of times they have to say it obviously means there is going to be a time when the bowler gets a wicket, fielder drops a catch, batsmen gets out..etc

listen to Ian Botham midway through this video talking about field positons
*Link removed - Copyright law violation. Read this post *

wups sorry :( !

Last edited by a moderator:
puddleduck said:
All I can say is the commentators curse is a load of rubbish.....
Agree with that champ. It's just a load of Bollocks,
but it is so funny when it happens.

so you would have no problem if a commentator said Australia should do this with you needing 2 off the last ball to win

Leicester Fox said:
wups sorry :( !
No biggie. (check your reps)

I was watching that match by the way and was laughing out loud when that happened. For those reading, this was in one of the England vs Sri Lanka ODIs and I believe Jayasuria was going haywire. Botham was complaining about a change that was made in the field when the captain placed a fielder at short wide long on. He kept saying how "the field is horribly wrong, what is going on?" when Sanath hit one straight in to the hands of that exact same fielder making Botham look like a complete fool.

Leicester Fox said:
so you would have no problem if a commentator said Australia should do this with you needing 2 off the last ball to win

Absolutely no problem, they are paid to do their job. I would be blaming the batter that didn't hit the winning 2 runs. :)

ZoraxDoom said:
I'm a strong believer. It even happens when I commentate on ICC 05!!! Without fail! I now murmer 'So and So Sucks' when they are batting to avoid them getting out!
I do that, 'Hampshire are gone' to give me a chance. I know it's all just silly and I don't believe in it but at the same time it's nice as an excuse.

somtimes i think to my self in icc 05 that he could get a double here! and he gets out but really its a load of rubbish

The one thing I do find in ICC, is I'll be thinking ok up his aggression bars by one in an over or two. I'll mentally think, ok one more over, and he'll get out with a ball left or something. I know it's just conincidence but it's annoying when it happens :p

Another is if I'm hammering through the next over button with two batsman on 2 bars just to bat out a session, I'll find if I stop hammering it, and then push it again, I suddenly get out almost as though me slowing down has caused the wicket. Again total rubbish, but annoying :p

Last edited:
puddleduck said:
The one thing I do find in ICC, is I'll be thinking ok up his aggression bars by one in an over or two. I'll mentally think, ok one more over, and he'll get out with a ball left or something. I know it's just conincidence but it's annoying when it happens :p

Another is if I'm hammering through the next over button with two batsman on 2 bars just to bat our a session, I'll find if I stop hammering it, and then push it again, I suddenly get out almost as though me slowing down as caused the wicket. Again total rubbish, but annoying :p
I know, it happens all the time! I want to increase thier aggression, just one more over, anf they are out! C'mon!

Haha Ian Healy said in todays one dayer that the Aussies needed a wicket and it fell the very next ball! Haha it was superb, and Mark Nicholis called him a profit for it! I love witty commentators! :D

John Adams said:
Haha Ian Healy said in todays one dayer that the Aussies needed a wicket and it fell the very next ball! Haha it was superb, and Mark Nicholis called him a profit for it! I love witty commentators! :D
Yeah that was funny. All the commentators have their funny moments! :)

Also Rameez Raja was proclaiming the greatness of Jacques Kallis and the difficulty of getting him out and what happens the very next ball? He gets caught in the slips. Classic! :)

P.S. Being the wily fox he is, I think Rameez did it deliberately. :happy

Users who are viewing this thread