Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

Please calm down Ross! I am trying my best to report all this shit, even before you manage to see it! Sorry to see you boliing up to this point!

Got to remember that if the guys at BA have too much noise and red-herrings then it will not be possible to get this done quickly.

I certainly don't know what is true at this point.

Is the day 1 patch available in aus? If so how do I download it on ps4?

EDIT: all good:thumbs must have downloaded whilst downloading the game, as im running on version 1.01

Last edited:
Thats expected off you..But you do make sense this time for a change...
Don't know what that means but okay....I myself am just waiting for the game to be released on PC and will enjoy it whatever the circumstances and will post here a thorough and entirely subjective review of the game: all game reviews are subjective. But I will make the game enjoyable for myself: otherwise why buy it?

Don't know what that means but okay....I myself am just waiting for the game to be released on PC and will enjoy it whatever the circumstances and will post here a thorough and entirely subjective review of the game: all game reviews are subjective. But I will make the game enjoyable for myself: otherwise why buy it?
Totally agreed...I didnt expect BA to respond to any of my posts and the reason being perfectly right of not owning the game..I was just posting what I felt to posts previously posted regarding shots , even though I knew reactions might follow [my bad]...You might know that I am a hardcore fan of the game and always have in supporting the game in all circumstances and ways possible...And I do agree on the fact that I should stay mum till the game gets out for PC...

Got to remember that if the guys at BA have too much noise and red-herrings then it will not be possible to get this done quickly.

I certainly don't know what is true at this point.
Just have coffee and relax! You were the first studio that me go towards Steam for my PC Games (Which is now full with games). Sadly, can't rebuttal against anyone negatively criticising the game with no reason as I don't have the game yet! I'll always support you guys at BA! Please calm down :)

@BigAntStudios my I don't have the game but..... was sarcastic.

Let's be fair FIFA 16 and Cod all crashed to homepage on release and during its life cycle.

Don't know why everyone panics, the last game proved the support we receive.

Everyone also forgets it's a bloody game. Just a game!!

That being said.... mine just arrived!! Game time ;)
Get your arse over to the bloody game and start capturing it then.....

AI shots are pretty poor so far from the gameplay videos and streams I have seen, mostly on backfoot and weird animation with bat face facing point , there are a few more too...Not sure how it ended up in such a way and not many are caring for that, but for me its a huge minus/flaw...I can say for sure that BA are the best when it comes to gameplay experience and as far as animations goes I got no idea...I know just watching the videos wont do much but I have seen so much of those weird shots which come up pretty often...

Well had a long session just now in search for the perfect backfoot play, tried all the gameplay modifiers like bounce ,friction etc.
So that those 3 to 5 meter good length balls (green Color) can b played .
Ended up being more frustrated.
One as the post above says, the backfoot animations are awefull.
If someone can make a comparison videos with Dbc 14 backfoot play/animations.

Shots like the backfoot punch in the V,
Backfoot square drive etc are missing or atleast I can't play them properly.
If someone can check those and add there input to this.

This game has so much potential, with
Better bowling mechanism
Brilliant fielding controlls, great graphics,
Just the batting needs some work to make this the real upgrade for hardcore fans.

Batting animations are awful, batting in general hasn't improved, cons far outweigh the pros in batting, very disappointing. Good thing the bowling has improved dramatically from the last iteration, a good thing indeed. Anyway suck it and see ladies and gentleman.

@LittleBigPlanet ^ I think they're okay, just a few back foot shots look abit off. The last 1/4 of the shot animation follow through in the shots the bottom hand comes right though so the bats now pointing to the sky. Looking forward to what they can do with their new mo-cap facility for future games :)

Just got the game and updated with the latest patch on Ps4.

First impressions are that all those idiots who complained regarding grass textures are well, idiots! The graphics, grass, stadium, animations are top class.

Gameplay is much more fluid as has been stated before. I have not tried the legends mode but on pro i could time most of my shots well. The great part is that spin bowling is now really beautiful and you can actually see the ball turn.

Ive not spent much time yet to notice any bugs. Overall, BA have done a tremendous job of listening to us and creating such a immersive cricketing experience.

Edit: Guys, wait until you play the game. The experience is very different from video streams

Last edited:
Righty ho,

I've had a couple of quick half-test matches, one in England and one in India, to try and test the different conditions. Here's me thoughts, for what they're worth.

Edges. First two wickets I got on the greentop were BEAUTIFUL. Defensive shots, beaten by the swing, and feathered through to the keeper. Edges are sorted folks, exactly like Franco's excellent hack.

Spin. Playing on the dustbowl felt different to bowling on the greentop. It just did. The spin bowling mechanics - which are awesome - combined very well with the wicket. Again, this just FELT great, and more importantly - to me at least - it felt like different conditions.

Fielding mini-game. I was nervous about this, but I actually enjoy it. It's not too easy, but not so hard that you'll never catch anything.

So, all in all on the bowling side, it feels great, and in controlling terms it's the best on any cricket game by some way. You can bowl every delivery, and in different conditions and it all feels different. MASSIVE thumbs up from me, as this is the thing I've always wanted from a cricket game.

Batting. To me, batting doesn't feel massively different from DBC14, and I mean that in a good way. I enjoyed batting on that, and I'll continue to do so on 17. I love the new checking the field hub where you can see how good the fielders are.

Cameras. These felt a little bit jumpy initially (fielding wise - batting and bowling wise they're fine) but it took me less than ten minutes of play to get used to it.

Graphics. Looks great: similar to DBC14 but just taken up a notch. And being able to integrate custom images is so cool, it really helps the feel of realism.

AI batsman. This is the only real question mark so far, in that the AI batsman have given it away a bit too easily. Both matches I've had, the opposition have been five down for 40-odd, and some of the shots have been questionable.

HOWEVER:
  • I was only playing on Pro difficulty
  • I didn't realise that the imported players don't get imported into sensible line-ups. I.e, when I played India, Yuvraj was opening the batting in a test :D So I could have bowled out a team of bowlers without realising!
  • The conditions were the two most challenging for batsmen: green seamer with cloudy overheads and a cracked dustbowl. I haven't played on a so called 'good' wicket yet.
Bugs/odd things. Four of them spring to mind, only two of which actually affects the gameplay (and one of which was hilarious).

1. If you fail the mini-game - which I've done a few times - it takes the nearest other fielder about five seconds to wake up and realise he has to go for the ball. This can usually leak a couple of runs, and is the only thing in the game so far that's genuinely annoying.
2. If you throw the ball to the keeper and the batsman gets in the way, it just cannons off him and another fielder has to get it.
3. (My favourite). If the batsman edges it, the mini-game starts for the keeper. However, if the ball then deflects onto the stumps, the mini game stops - because he's out anyway - but the slow-mo doesn't. So you get a brilliant slow mo of the keeper diving anyway while everyone around him celebrates. It tickled me, and I don't care if it stays in the game :D
4. If you field by the boundary, your throw will quite often reach another fielder on the circle rather than the keeper/bowler. Trouble is, if you press the same button again to throw it, he throws it back to the fielder on the boundary. Not sure what that's about!

OVERALL

This is a better game than DBC14 already, because it's given bowling the feel of being involved. You feel like you're able to get edges, and that you can set batsmen up. I need to play it a lot more at lots of difficulty settings (and on different pitches) to get a better view of the AI batting, but the mechanics of an outstanding game ARE there.

So, if you've not played it and other posts are making you worried that it's a complete disaster, ignore 'em. So far, so fun, as far as I'm concerned.

Playing a test match against NZ (on hard, hard, veteran) and after the first six overs without a wicket, the AI changed to a 7-2 offside field and...straight away bowled wide of the stumps instead of the previous straight line :D

Users who are viewing this thread