DVD ROM not spinning/not reading properly

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I don't know what it is but, I uninstalled AC09 and wanted to re-install it. When I put the DVD in, the installer would stuck and the drive wouldn't do anything. I tried it on my bro's comp. and it was fine there. Any help on how I can get my DVD ROM working alright?

Is it not spinning or not reading? If it's not reading, there are lens cleaners available which might help. If it's not spinning, you should check the power cable, and the Sata cable to see if they are properly connected. Could also be something stuck in the drive.

When I put the DVD in, it initially spins alright. But, then nothing at all. Just nothing. And, I don't really know anything about the cable stuff, can you please explain?

You'll have to open your cabinet for that..
If it's spinning, its most probably a dusty lens. Get a Lens Cleaner to clean it.

These sorts of drives are hard workers and don't have the longest intended lifetime. Not surprisingly, a lot of drives from the time when DVD burners became affordable (nearly ten years ago) would now be on the way out. However, many drives since then have been made with low costs in mind and and would also be on the way out. So it may just be that the time has come for one of the components.

Manufacturers do not recommend lens cleaner things because they do not design them with the intention of being touched. If you have dust problems, use compressed air. You can use a compressor if you've got access to one or buy it in cans from electronics and office supply shops. It might seem like a silly thing to buy air, but it's a very useful computer tool which can be used to protect your Xbox or Playstation against overheating. Liquids can be dangerous and even a gentle cleaning cloth can cause static damage. It provides enough pressure to loosen the dust, while being perfectly safe for electronics, plus you don't necessarily need to open the machine up and void the warranty. The loose dust can then be vacuumed up.

Furthermore, if you do have a problem with dust being sucked in through your optical drive, you might need to consider how the air circulates through it. A lot of computers rely on fans at the back sucking air in and not so much on the air being blown in at the front, but there is usually still a vent that simply provides the path of least resistance. If it's blocked or non-existent, then air and dust will get sucked in through less convenient gaps. Ideally, there is a large and quiet intake fan at the front, combined with a thin piece of foam to catch the dust.

Users who are viewing this thread