Extinction Of Allrounders.

What caused the extinction of allrounders from world cricket?

• Total voters

max_dillon2007

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
There was a time when most of the team have atleast one player who can be selected in the team for either his batting or bowling alone. That was the time of Botham,Imran,Kaipl Dev and many more whom i forgot to mention. They bowl their full share of overs and score valuable runs when team needs. Though maybe due to excess of ODI in last decade of so, genuine allrounders have started to extinct and who are still there are suffering from injuries.
Freddie Flintoff: unarguably the best allrounder in world cricket at the moment, lethal on any kind of track and more than handy with the bat. Everyone knows how he destroyed Aussies in Ashes(thats when i become his fan). Though after that he has been suffering from injuries and only now he is hundred percent fit.

Jacques Kallis: One of the finest but at the moment lost a bit of sting in the bowling and been going through a bad patch in batting. Though he had been the mainstay of SA over last decade and though he may be accused of batting robotically,was very effective and scored tons and tons of runs. He had provided wickets at the right time.

these are the only two present at the moment. They have proved themselve over a longer period of time.(i didnt include batsmen who can spin as almost anyon can roll their arm over, unless you are shane warne you cant be a spinning allrounder)

um Dwayne Bravo???
one of the best all rounder around, and can field better than the 2 you mentioned. Shakib is a good all-rounder.

sorry i just forgot bravo, though i sakib cant rip through batting line ups like Freddie can. sakib needs a spinning track.

11 wickets in 2 tests at 20 a piece in South Africa.

he did well enough there.

Jacob Oram as well. I don't think there is an extinction of all-rounders but there is a dip in the amount of all-rounders. Perhaps player burnout is the main cause.

i think he means genuine match winning all rounders

bravo may be 1 but doesnt do it consistently enough

Bravo has just started coming into his own before he got injured. He is now one of the senior members of the team and is probably the best all-rounder behind Kallis and Flintoff.

Kallis is barely an allrounder these days anyways. I'd actually put Sehwag as one of the top Allrounders ATM.

Sehwag doesn't bowl enough or is his bowling record impressive enough. The other ones mentioned bowl on a regular basis.

Yeah you are right. Sehwag needs to get more chances, he rips it an absolute mile. Plenty more then Harbhajan at least.

Good allrounders come around only like once in 20 years. Currently it is Flintoff. Then there is Kallis who isn't such a threatening bowler, and Bravo who is still raw. And then you could count Oram as an allrounder, and maybe Mahroof, Tanvir, Harbhajan. All three mainly bowlers. And Shakib Al Hasan is brilliant too. Watson could be very good with time.

This is just a period of time in cricket which is messed up. When things settle down and get adjusted (Tight Schedules, Domestic Cricket, The advanced leagues like the Stanford, IPL, EPL, , CLT20, etc. There will be a new era(?) which will take the game to a new level. Things just need to be sorted out.

Most of the cricketers tend to take/choose primary and secondary priority as per their skills, seriously. There was time when players only concentrated on either batting or bowling. Most good all-rounders came who had the natural ability and worked with interest on both, batting and bowling. But now, it's a routine in cricketing life that every players now seems to be just good at everything or try to be as much as possible. With that, training/coaching has been a revolution and cause for performing well enough. Like before, you didn't have many players who turned into coaches as you have in this era to teach young cricketers and give them as much as cricket knowledge possible. So, yeah. There are certain aspects of the game which are the causes for the changes which don't get noticed often by people. Reasons are picked up from the present by the people which they feel are the reasons. It's just a phase, There will be more all-rounders than the game had before with the times to come.

Kallis, Flintoff, Oram, Vettori, Shakib, Watson, Hopes, Albie Morkel, Bravo, there are more than enough all-rounders in world cricket!

Users who are viewing this thread