Your Cricket Facing EXTREME pace

binglee

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm a bowler but I like to regard myself as a alright batsman aswell, but today I faced a fellow quick in the nets who I literally couldn't see the ball till it was passed me. It was quick and I just left everything due to me no being able to see it. What can I do to improve my reflexes/batting to quicks? And what do you guys do when facing pace?

In this scenario, practice makes perfect! Keep facing him and you'll be accustomed to his pace. Just keep pushing at it. Approach the ball, with the same caution and confidence as you would face other bowlers, albeit pace yourself earlier in anticipation. Pace your breathing sequence as well - something of which I found was important with my batting. Last of all, never let your eye off the ball - get used to his projectory (ie. flat, arched, slung, etc.).

In saying that, in dealing with such amounts of pace you shouldn't allow yourself to then be suckered by his variational balls (ie. slower ball).

Nothing wrong with going in for an eye-check either! :)

I had the same problem when I faced this A grade bowler.

He told me he was quick, and asked me if he should bowl full pace at me? I said yeah, thinking I was a big boy.

I could barely see it! After a while I got my cricketing brain into gear. I shortened my backlift to him, kept my eye on the ball literally the whole time he was running in, in stride, in motion and played confidently just defending him.

I got bat on ball a couple times and was blocking a few. Then I started playing little punches down the ground and short cover drives. It was like what I saw on TV. You don't see blokes in international cricket facing Brett Lee doing Don Bradman style cover drives smashing the cover off the ball. They literally just use the pace, angle of the bat and little punches at the ball with good timing to get runs.

Just try and defend for starters, and focus! You should be able to see the ball, if Chris Martin can see fast bowlers then I'm sure anyone in the world has a chance at their local nets against a quickie. :D

Kass ke Jakkad Jum Ke Pakkad Laga !
Use the Mantra of The Indian Batting Great Who is one of the only two batsmen on the earth who average Above 51 ... hAhA

If he bowls lot of short deliveries, be on the backfoot and defend the ball for quite a long time, you'll probably get used to the pace then. And if he isn't a short pitching bowler, then try to play a front-foot shot every time (and not if he bowls and odd short ball). Be aggressive. By aggressive I don't mean to slog, just push the ball on the rise, you'll be able to negotiate with the pace then.

And while he is running in, keep your eyes on his bowling hand and watch the ball till it hits your bat. Practice makes perfect, you'll be able to play him well soon.

I had a similar case when I was in 7th grade, and the above ideas helped me out, hopefully they will help you too.

I'm a bowler but I like to regard myself as a alright batsman aswell, but today I faced a fellow quick in the nets who I literally couldn't see the ball till it was passed me. It was quick and I just left everything due to me no being able to see it. What can I do to improve my reflexes/batting to quicks? And what do you guys do when facing pace?

I used to have this problem playing Under 19s as a 14 year old, I wasn't missing everything but I really struggled with my timing and quality quicks could cut me up.

I was told I start my downswing a little late given I'm used to slightly slower deliveries. From my experience, you really have to premeditate your downswing, and so that by the time he release the ball, you're at the top of your backswing.

Just my experience, I, like you am more of a bowler and so I'm not the best guide.

EDIT: Like others said, nothing will prepare you better than continual practise.

True to get behind it, Or, as I find, if he's bowling a little wide, use the pace to cut behind point or flick behind square.

Shadow practice helps as well.. That's how I improved my pull/hook.

Keep working at it, and your muscle memory is bound to get better

Users who are viewing this thread