Flintoff signs new Lanashire deal

Englishandproud

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Taken from BBC Sport Website

Flintoff has had an unforgettable year
England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff has committed his future to Lancashire after agreeing to a new five-year contract with the club.

"Lancashire is my county and I have never thought of playing anywhere else," said the 28-year-old, who made his debut in 1995.

Lancashire chief executive Jim Cumbes added: "He still is passionate about playing for the county club.

"Obviously we all hope he extends his England career as long as possible."

It has been an eventful and successful year for Flintoff, who will captain England in the first Test against Sri Lanka at Lord's this week.

He took 24 wickets and scored more than 400 runs in the 2-1 Ashes success last summer and won another Man of the Series prize for his displays as skipper of a makeshift England side in the recent 1-1 draw with India.

His efforts have not gone unnoticed.

Flintoff has picked up the BBC Sports Personality of the Year prize, was named Wisden's most valuable cricketer on the planet and shared the International Cricket Council's world player-of-the-year title with South African Jacques Kallis.

And on Monday he was named Englanbd Cricketer of the Year by team sponsors, Vodafone.

"This is a great honour," he commented.

"It's been a fantastic year for English cricket and I'm very proud to have been able to play a part in regaining the Ashes.

"The support I've received from the British public has been very humbling and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their words of encouragement.

"I'm now looking forward to building on this success during what promises to be a very exciting summer for English cricket as we head towards another Ashes series and a World Cup campaign this winter."

England team-mate Geraint Jones added: "He's had a few special weeks."

"To captain your country at Lord's, with all its tradition, will make him realise what England captaincy is all about."

"This is something he has always wanted to do and hopefully this is the start of a great 12 months for him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/lancashire/4752867.stm

Last edited:

sid_19840

International Coach
Seems like a postive move,obviously he likes the club and believes that he has future there.

Englishandproud

Club Cricketer
Yes seems that way Sid, but i cant see a reason why he would want to leave anyway. Seems as he is northern lad and cant see him ever leaving Lancashire, you often get players who stay with one club there whole carear.

Users who are viewing this thread