Game Crashing - help appreciated

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi guys, A few days ago I decided I would give Cricket 2005 a weeks trial and decide if it was worth the cash.... Having bought 2002, 2004, and BLIC I feel more than enough of my cash has been thrown away attempting to find an at least half decent cricket game.

After managing to play a test match, no patches, against Zimbabwe (and been mostly shocked to see many of the same errors as were in 2002, and 2004) I carried on playing and slowly but surely started to enjoy it.

Unfortunately after experimenting with a couple of patches, I started to find the game crashing back to the desktop, sometimes with an A-sync error message, sometimes just out of spite.

Worried it was the patches, I removed everything and unfortunately the game seems to currently be crashing every time I lose a wicket.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar and had found out what was causing the problem? (the EA readme, and PlanetCricket FAQ both came up with nothing) Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

(System Specs For Any Techies: Athlon XP 2800+, 1gb Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro, Audigy 2 Sound Card... hardly the newest Pc anymore, but still more than enough. Drivers could possibly need updating, but then it was fine for the test match all of 3 days ago)

Edit - Just been experimenting, it seems to be if I get caught in the outfield, bowled or LBW it definately crashes, run-outs and caught at slip seems ok. A big shame as I was on the verge of getting myself a full copy, but if I can't figure out the problem, then really no point :(

Last edited:
I haven't tried a completely clean install yet, but that's now definately my next step.

Patch wise, using Sids great little AI manager I started off using tutsi's (and used that throughout my first test match), then tried Cricket Doctors at which point the game began to crash. Then moved onto Spins as I had thought it was Cricket Doctors patch that was causing the problem. Unfortunately the crashes remained so i removed all patches but with no luck.

I've only got a few days left with which to find out the problem, although If I don't answer the phone when my mate rings, I can probably scrape a few more days out of it ;)

Going to give it a fresh install and see what happens, thanks a lot for replying Barmy, much appreciated :)

When un-installing it make sure everythings gone, usig add/remove programs should sort that.

A completely new install off of the CD should be the answer as it sounds like something the add-ons have done.

Sureshot said:
When un-installing it make sure everythings gone, usig add/remove programs should sort that.

A completely new install off of the CD should be the answer as it sounds like something the add-ons have done.

This was always my next step, I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced the same thing, maybe on a similar setup, and whether their solution required anything more than the obvious ;)

Thanks for replying both of you, top lads, much appreciated :)

Maybe it's something to do with CDs patch, because it's been mentioned before. Think i might give his patch a miss for the moment.

Thanks again for caring guys :)

The reinstall has it back up and running again, just allowed myself to get out to every dismissal possible and not a a single crash. I wouldn't like to accuse CDs patch of causing the problems as I really couldn't be sure.

Good, Must've been one of the patches or a virus/spyware on your PC.

Well Puddleduck mate. It seems, my patch is responsible for game crashing only when- CPU plays lofted cover drive of the front foot in ODIs on Normal mode and when we play lofted backfoot straight drive in ODIs on both normal and hard mode.
And as you haven't encountered these strokes yet, so I won't say my patch is responsible for your game crashing at all.

Thank you,
C.D. :onpc

Last edited:
puddleduck said:
Hi guys, A few days ago I decided I would give Cricket 2005 a weeks trial and decide if it was worth the cash.... Having bought 2002, 2004, and BLIC I feel more than enough of my cash has been thrown away attempting to find an at least half decent cricket game.

After managing to play a test match, no patches, against Zimbabwe (and been mostly shocked to see many of the same errors as were in 2002, and 2004) I carried on playing and slowly but surely started to enjoy it.

Unfortunately after experimenting with a couple of patches, I started to find the game crashing back to the desktop, sometimes with an A-sync error message, sometimes just out of spite.

Worried it was the patches, I removed everything and unfortunately the game seems to currently be crashing every time I lose a wicket.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar and had found out what was causing the problem? (the EA readme, and PlanetCricket FAQ both came up with nothing) Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

(System Specs For Any Techies: Athlon XP 2800+, 1gb Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro, Audigy 2 Sound Card... hardly the newest Pc anymore, but still more than enough. Drivers could possibly need updating, but then it was fine for the test match all of 3 days ago)

Edit - Just been experimenting, it seems to be if I get caught in the outfield, bowled or LBW it definately crashes, run-outs and caught at slip seems ok. A big shame as I was on the verge of getting myself a full copy, but if I can't figure out the problem, then really no point :(

Maybe it's coz you are playing with trial software. Don't think you will face the problem with actual game CD. You can try looking at EA's web site and see if anyone has posted this problem onEA's website. I would recommend you to go with the actual game CD as trial game software is not reliable and sometime not even close to the real stuff.

puddleduck said:
I've only got a few days left with which to find out the problem, although If I don't answer the phone when my mate rings, I can probably scrape a few more days out of it ;)

Keep on reading mate :)

A weeks trial probably wasn't the right term. Whenever we play together it's always BLIC, as essentially it is a far better game. However since I've recently finally lost interest in the single player side, certainly until some of the clever chaps on here can figure out a way to edit the AI, I decided to take his advice and give the Cricket 2005 single player experience a go. He's been away for the week, so I've been solidly playing it, and unfortunately is now back. Still with it now working I'll be picking myself up my own copy in the next few days, trial was a success, and as long as noone tells him, He was right. :cheers

Weird part is, I do think BLIC is the better game, it is just massively let down by it's Ai, and the fact that they have made it a nightmare to patch.

Last edited:
puddleduck said:
Keep on reading mate :)

A weeks trial probably wasn't the right term. Whenever we play together it's always BLIC, as essentially it is a far better game. However since I've recently finally lost interest in the single player side, certainly until some of the clever chaps on here can figure out a way to edit the AI, I decided to take his advice and give the Cricket 2005 single player experience a go. He's been away for the week, so I've been solidly playing it, and unfortunately is now back. Still with it now working I'll be picking myself up my own copy in the next few days, trial was a success, and as long as noone tells him, He was right. :cheers

Weird part is, I do think BLIC is the better game, it is just massively let down by it's Ai, and the fact that they have made it a nightmare to patch.

After playing Cricket 2K5 for a few more days I am sure you will change your opinion about BLIC 2K5 being a better game :)

Nope, if you play a mate at either one, I know which one is more fun, more dynamic and looks a hell of a lot better. In Ea I could invite a mate around and it would more than likely be 50 all out each. The game is essentially rubbish, they've had 4 years to sort it out but the difference between it and 2002 is some of the bugs are no longer there, some new ones are.

However the Ai in BLIC is dreadful and as such as a single player experience it is completely ruined. Cricket 2005 on the other hand at least makes it hard, so if you want the experience of a challenging test then it does to an extent, albeit with a ton of frustration, acheive that.

For me a computer game, especially a Sports game has to look at the multiplayer aspect, and BLIC have got it almost spot on. Cricket 2005 in my opinion is only playable because it's a pretty poor game. The fielders do ridiculous things, the running between the wickets is dire, the shot animations poor, a few of the shots do not actually do anything, the outfields are all completely wrong. On the plus side however it is patchable, and it is difficult, that is the only thing that saves it. If BLIC had good AI it would be an excellent game, if Cricket 2005 had no bugs it would still be a pretty average game, the defence rests :)

edit - To add, in my opinion, I think that considering it's their first game in years, if BLIC can expand on what they have put in place they will have the best game by a mile, especially considering EA have barely moved on in 4 years :)

Last edited:
BLIC-Is the Arcade game. Ie, for having fun on.
C2K5 - Is the Simulator for spending hours just to get one wicket!

Users who are viewing this thread