gleeso73 Retro Teams

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Strange that BigantStudios went this route of removing retro kit , I cannot seem to find any reason why ?

i guess that the underlying art models changed, and they didn't see the point in updating the retro ones... i guess they haven't so much removed them as not done the additional work to keep adding them.

understandable i guess as it's a niche pursuit, but from my own personal perspective it's a real shame. i love the retro kits

gleeso73

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
i'm looking at joburg 95 presently - will do the WSC one after.

am not sure what scenario "victory" condition would best suit the WSC one.

Haven’t looked at the scenario editor yet, I’m thinking Wayne Daniel’s six off Mick Malone at VFL Park was the closest finish in the WSC.

I’d like to give the Aus vs WI Tied Test a try.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hopefully they make a comeback. I love the retro stuff and for the original Bradman games they really sold it. I mean, the title itself was obviously very "retro".

Funny that you'd bring in the scenario mode, which has retro written all over it, yet remove that stuff.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hopefully they make a comeback. I love the retro stuff and for the original Bradman games they really sold it. I mean, the title itself was obviously very "retro".

Funny that you'd bring in the scenario mode, which has retro written all over it, yet remove that stuff.

Well the kit is the same as in ashes, so they’ve not added scenario and removed anything.

Dbc14 has loads of retro kit. Dbc17 vastly reduced this and ashes had almost nothing. Cricket 19 follows ashes unfortunately

But from what’s in the academy I can’t see any retro/historic teams for scenarios, so perhaps there’s something held back for day 1 as a surprise?

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Oh okay. I must say I haven't played much of this game since DBC 14 which I played loads of.

This makes more sense though since the graphics of Ashes and Cricket 19 look similar but very different to DBC 14. DBC 17....sort of in between?

Baggy1971

Club Cricketer
i guess that the underlying art models changed, and they didn't see the point in updating the retro ones... i guess they haven't so much removed them as not done the additional work to keep adding them.

understandable i guess as it's a niche pursuit, but from my own personal perspective it's a real shame. i love the retro kits

It's very rare for anyone from BA to listen to actual punters

Baggy1971

Club Cricketer
I’ve my issues with BAs approach on a lot of things, but the existence of the scenario creator itself is one of many examples of things in because BA listened to the punters.
I understand dave, white and anyone else totally but something I'm guessing so simple like transferring the retro gear from previous versions should not have been hard to do and would have made a lot more folk happy

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I understand dave, white and anyone else totally but something I'm guessing so simple like transferring the retro gear from previous versions should not have been hard to do and would have made a lot more folk happy

i think as the graphics have improved, so each time the kit models from the prior game have probably not been sufficient. so they haven't removed the kit so much as not re-added it. i wish they had, but then again if you think the scope of each game has got significantly wider (career expansions, stadium creator, women's game, scenarios etc.) it's understandable that something fell by the wayside.

it's a real pity, for sure. but i don't think it can be put down to them not listening.

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
i think as the graphics have improved, so each time the kit models from the prior game have probably not been sufficient. so they haven't removed the kit so much as not re-added it. i wish they had, but then again if you think the scope of each game has got significantly wider (career expansions, stadium creator, women's game, scenarios etc.) it's understandable that something fell by the wayside.

it's a real pity, for sure. but i don't think it can be put down to them not listening.
I'd imagine with the academy too they would've had stats on how much of the retro kit items were used. Plus with having the ECB/CA licenses, the focus was more put towards making content which satisfied license holders, as a game under the name "Ashes Cricket" or "Cricket 19" with the launch windows they had doesn't really scream out "retro cricket" the same way "Don Bradman" did.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'd imagine with the academy too they would've had stats on how much of the retro kit items were used. Plus with having the ECB/CA licenses, the focus was more put towards making content which satisfied license holders, as a game under the name "Ashes Cricket" or "Cricket 19" with the launch windows they had doesn't really scream out "retro cricket" the same way "Don Bradman" did.

yeah very true

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@gleeso73 - i've downloaded a few of your teams now: top top work.

An interesting observation I have: a lot of the players come through with "censored" names, most or all of them are players who were in some of the historic on-disc teams in prior games that i currently can't see in the academy: e.g. the bodyline players... i wonder if these are linked to the BA-shipped scenarios which i also can't see in the academy?

Users who are viewing this thread