Greatest keeper batsman - Gilchrist or Sangakkara?

estmsm

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Adam Gilchrist!

As a WK batsman, Adam Gilchrist was better!

Kumar Sangakkara bloomed late in his career when he gave up wicket keeping!

Kumar Sangakkara's stats are highly inflated! The quality of bowling was low compared to Adam Gilchrist's era!

Also Adam Gilchrist was very sharp behind the stumps comparatively![DOUBLEPOST=1443339617][/DOUBLEPOST]
BJ Watling

May be he is the one in future along with Sarfaraz Ahmed or Mohammad Rizwan!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Adam Gilchrist!

Kumar Sangakkara's stats are highly inflated! The quality of bowling was low compared to Adam Gilchrist's era!

Also Adam Gilchrist was very sharp behind the stumps comparatively![DOUBLEPOST=1443339617][/DOUBLEPOST]

Could you give me a list of all these so called "high quality" bowling attacks that was so better in Gilchrist career compared to Sangakkara's career?

estmsm

Club Captain
Could you give me a list of all these so called "high quality" bowling attacks that was so better in Gilchrist career compared to Sangakkara's career?

Gilchrist faced Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar, Ambrose, Pollock, Donald, Saqlain, Muralitharan etc!

And he had dominated them as well!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Gilchrist faced Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar, Ambrose, Pollock, Donald, Saqlain, Muralitharan etc!

Already off the a bad start, Gilchrist never faced Ambrose in a test match.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Adam Gilchrist!

He did in ODIs!
This guy's in love with exclamation marks.

Daniboy95

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Undoubtedly it will be "Adam Gilchrist"

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Sanga's end stats look great but he was never the world dominant batsman that he went on to become at the latter half of his career and a swift gloveman at the same time. Yes he could keep wickets at that point but he was nowhere near his best with the gloves by the time his batting blossomed. On the other hand, Gilly for the most part of his career was good enough to break into any team purely as a keeper or as a batsman.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
As a test batsman, to bat in the top 5 AND keep wicket for a chunk of your career is so impressive. Athletically as a keeper, I don't think there was much between Sanga and GIlly so Gilly takes it in tests.

In terms of ODIs, simply for the brutality that Gilly could bring to the team, he has to take it for me. The guy could chase totals down or build them.

stefan

International Coach
Sanga for me, gilly was found wanting when bowlers finally decided to bowl round the wicket and he tailed of badly in the latter part of his career.

Of the current players no mention for ABDV? Averages 58 as keeper higher then he does as just a batsman.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Gilly is the Greatest keeper batsman ever.Others have better batting record,but they gave up keeping too soon.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Sanga for me, gilly was found wanting when bowlers finally decided to bowl round the wicket and he tailed of badly in the latter part of his career.

Of the current players no mention for ABDV? Averages 58 as keeper higher then he does as just a batsman.

Finally somebody acknowledging this key dynamic and fault of Gilchrist's career. Based on comments I get the impression people didn't observe Gilly's career close enough especially at the end.

ABDV is definitely on the same page with Kumar.

estmsm

Club Captain
Was never talking about ODI cricket when comparing the two - kindly read the opening post thoroughly again. Thanks

Well Sangakkara may have impressed u! But not me! I found him boring! When we say a better batsman, it must include many factors! Some are entertainment and brutality! Which Sangakkara lacked!

Other than that, that successful chase of 369 against Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar and Saqlain in 1999 at Hobart in which Gilchrist scored 149*, can never be matched by any of Sangakkara's innings!

I even rate Aravinda de Silva better than Sangakkara, let alone Gilchrist!

Users who are viewing this thread