Gud Match Eng Vs Aus at headingley.

Tomdood55

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
This is similar to that of The_Googly but i did it a while back so scores maybe a bit out.

Anyway, Eng vs Aus second match after a rainy draw in first test at lords. In 3 match series this was crucial to gain the upperhand and ensure not losing the series.

Australia First Innings:
Hayden and langer opened the batting and after a very slow start by the aussies langer was bowled by a hoggard inswinger playing well inside the line for 8 off more than 50 balls. Hayden then went flaying at a wide one from jones after harmison taken off, caught by G. jones low to his left (as usual) This left Ponting and martyn trying to rebuild, with the score at 20-2. Marytn went soon after for 12 after 2 sixes over third man in one over off flintoff before being caught at second slip trying to glance a flintoff outswinger.Then came lehmann with the score on 41-3. After a good partnership of more than 50 ponting went trying to put harmison over third man for a well made 43. with the team total at just under 100 and 4 wickets down australia needed a few big partnerships to set a gud total. It wasnt to be this partnership however as Harmison got clarke first ball lbw with a 90mph plus yorker. He was now on fire bowling fast and nasty too everyone, gilchrist went 2 overs later to harmison hooking down giles' throat at fine leg. then in came warne, hit on the hand first ball with a special bouncer then edging a trimmer of a leg cuter to trescothick alone at first slip. this left the true tail exposed and when lehman went bowled by a slower ball yorker by harmison again kit was sure to be all over quickly. 2 special ball yorkers made short work of gillespie and mcgrath leaving brett lee high and dry at the other end.

Harmison finished with 7 for 14 in 23 overs in the aussies disapointing total of just 120.

England first innings:

Trescothick went out to bat with strauss and as always i started in a one day mode. Trescothick pulled the third ball for 4 in front of square but was caught and bowled off mcgrath next ball driving. Strauss went first ball in the same manner to gillespie. this left vaughan and collingwood(my inclusion instead of thorpe) to rebuild, Vaughan however went for 13 edging to hayden of mcgrath in the 7th over, then came pietersen who imediatly went onto the attack cover driving his second ball for 4. then collingwood blasted gillespie out of the attack hitting him for more than 20 off the 8th over. pietersen was thn dropped at second slip, and stole a single off mcgraths last ball of the fifth over too face brett lee. there was a strong appeal for lbw second ball as i was late on a yorker but just sliding down leg. pietersen then pulled lee infront of square for 4 twice in the rest of the over.collingwood then got out slogging to deep long on in warnes first over and flintoff came to the wicket. after smashing warne for two sixes in the remainder of warnes over he then was bowled trying it again and out came G. jones. Pietersen blocked out a hostile over from lee and jones departed lbw to a warne quicker ball after stealing two runs from an inside edge earlier in the over. Giles strode out to face warne with full confidence and a brave leave to a googly left him still there at the end of the over. Pietersen thn went mental reaching 88 off only 40 balls when he departed bowled trying to slog lehmann over mid on.giles ahd moved on to 11 but was bowled by the returning lee the next over this left jones and harmison to have a go. jones was bowled for 4 and harmison was 6* when hoggard was trapped lbw by a great inswinger from mcgrath. England were all out for a mere 190 on a hard wicket.

Australia second innings:
Only just into the second day australia had a long time to bat. Langer departed to the same delivery thtat bowled him tin the first innings this time driving in the second over. bowled through the gate Hoggard. Hayden departed for 13 caught well at gully by collingwood off harmison. Martyn then lehmann both departed for 4 runs a piece, lehmann lbw to flintoff and martyn caught at cover off hoggard. ponting was still there on 36 and michael clarke came to the crease at about 80 for 4. Then at tea on the third day australia had moved onto 380 for 5 with ponting 180ish and clarke 110ish rain came then and i thought i was safe for a draw. We finally got play with half a session left on day 4. They then went mental. Ponting departed for 220 caught at fine leg off giles and clarke for 162 bowled by giles. gilchrist was left 78* after the tail was blown away as australia declared at 566-9.
Ponting top scored and harmison took 4-105 in the second innings, too add to his 7-14 in the first innings to give him match figures of 11-119.

England were left needing over 450 to win with just under a day left A tall order with the footmarks getting worse for warne to bowl into.

England Second innings:
Strauss and trescothick opened again to face a seemingly impossible task i knew i had to score quick runs without losing to many wickets. i then decided to play agressivly but try to kep the ball on the ground. it worked. in the 9th over when warne came on i was 109-0 with trescothick going well on 60. He hen got bowled by a big turner by warne with his second ball and then vaughan went bowled through the gate by a googly. i then opted to send pietersen in instead of collingwood hoping for some clean hitting. It worked he raced on to 100 from only 44 balls strauss then went slogging to fine leg for 80 and collingwood came in with the score on 240 with 200 still needed with 3 wickets down. Collingwood went for a quickfire 15 bowled by mcgrath and flintoff went first ball lbw, i still needed 170 but was now 5 down. G. jones thn hit a great 66 before being caaught off mcgrath leaving me 6 down still needing 45 with 13 overs left in the day. I was worried about my tail being skittled but luckily pietersen managed to keep the strike and with 6 overs left pietersen hit warne for 6 back over his head to bring up his 200 and the win.

I was suprised by this match as all id heard as that teams always get out for under 200 every time. i let out a big sigh of relief after a long 3 and a half hours of solid playing n the morning But it was worth it for this match!!

took me ages to write that out surely i deserve more than one post lol

Yeah, here's some more congratulations for you Tomdood55...

:D ;) :hpraise

Sounds like a great game...I've yet to score a century with any batsman myself, so that match winning innings of 200* from Pietersen looks really nice. :)

Think I'll go and start up my own Ashes test/series now... ;)

Its great to see the cpu making such a big total in the second innings!

Users who are viewing this thread