Help With Virus

Briggsey

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have encurred the wrath of a virus on my main PC. Its not a major one which wont allow me to start up the PC or is deleting files, but it has completely remapped my keyboard (e.g the r key now refreshes instead of typing r) it keeps changing my sound from on to mute every couple of seconds and it also messes with screens so i cant open up screens which are minimized.

I dont know the name of the virus but I had it before and my virus checker picked it up and got rid of it, but for some reason its back again and the checker hasnt picked it up this time, its running now so hopefully it will.

If any of you can help me with this I would be very happy because its becoming an anoying problem.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Didn't you say something about your Rugby game yesterday? Is that still installed... that may be the problem.

Briggsey

International Coach
Drewska said:
Didn't you say something about your Rugby game yesterday? Is that still installed... that may be the problem.
Yes that is what has caused all this i think, it is uninstalled and for a while yesterday everything was fine but it has kicked in again now.

Briggsey

International Coach
FreddieFan said:
What virus scanner do you have?
McAfee, i have tried some online one's too. I have read around and I believe its the kbug (keyboard virus) but something I have noted, this supposed virus sometimes mutes my machine, and when it does, the keyboard works fine. Strange.

FreddieFan

International Coach
If its fully up to date, it should sort it for you. Have you run a scan with it?

EDIT - Has anything disappeared from your control panel? If so, it sounds like W97M/Michael.c

Removal Instructions
Use specified engine and DAT files for detection and removal.
The Main.cpl file must be restored from backup. This can be done by:

Windows 98
- Click the START MENU|RUN, type SFC and click OK.
- Choose Extract one file from the installation disk
- Type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MAIN.CPL in the box and click Start.
- In the Restore from box type C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS or browse to the Win98 directory on your Windows98 CD-ROM
- Click OK and follow remaining prompts

Windows95
- Click the START MENU|SHUT DOWN choose RESTART IN MS-DOS MODE
- Type: EXTRACT /A C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\WIN95_04.CAB MAIN.CPL /L C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
or
- Insert your Windows95 CD-ROM and type:
EXTRACT /A D:\WIN95\WIN95_04.CAB MAIN.CPL /L C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM Where D: is your CD-ROM drive

Last edited:

Ste

Executive member
Briggsey said:
I have encurred the wrath of a virus on my main PC. Its not a major one which wont allow me to start up the PC or is deleting files, but it has completely remapped my keyboard (e.g the r key now refreshes instead of typing r) it keeps changing my sound from on to mute every couple of seconds and it also messes with screens so i cant open up screens which are minimized.

I dont know the name of the virus but I had it before and my virus checker picked it up and got rid of it, but for some reason its back again and the checker hasnt picked it up this time, its running now so hopefully it will.

If any of you can help me with this I would be very happy because its becoming an anoying problem.

Are you sure your Control key isnt stuck down or broken somehow? If you press P does it try and print. Control r refreshs, so maybe you could try with a different keyboard.

Ste

Briggsey

International Coach
Well nothing has dissapeared from my control panel, but thanks anyway, and im planning on trying a new keyboard sometime soon, but the mute of sound seems to have worked for now anyway, just have to hope these guys on this site ive been to can help me.

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
You got me there mate. I've yet to encounter such thing so can't say what to do. Obviously trying a new keyboard would help or if its a virus than an updated Virus scanner will do the trick. If no result than its time to resort to other methods such as restoring to earlier points or simply installing the OS again.

@mods on PC- A lot of threads have been started lately regarding PC problems. Maybe it will help if a single separate thread can be started and Stickied in "Never ending..." or some other sub-forums. That would be much easy for everyone here to discuss their problems. Plus it would also help if a solution had been found for a problem before but the member doesn't know so didn't search for it hence ending up starting a new thread.
Just like IT proffesionals would do, keeping a log of all the common problems and solutions.:cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread