Your Cricket How should i be playing spin bowling

pelican102

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
:helpI dont know if there is a thread about this. Can you give me some ideas how to play because i really want to know. I need to learn how to play spin with ease before the 18th of next month Australian dates. please give me ideas.:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help

One of the most important things about playing spin is using your feet. And also watch the ball coming out of the bowler`s hand.

I generally play spinners by seeing their movements, wrist, etc. But when I was younger like a few years back, I never let the ball bounce (Unless it's a half volley). But now I just watch the wrist action and if you can, the direction the ball seems to be spinning. If your undecided I would suggest a quick block off the back foot.

spin bowling is the hardest to face. basically what i do is if its a leg spinner (im right handed) i try not to leave my crease until im really set, and sure of the bounce and turn of the pitch, because its so easy to get stumped. with an off spinner though its much easier to get your body behind the ball for a second line of defence.
if the ball is "above eye line" i tend to advance down the wicket, and make the ball into a half volley to nullify the spin, but if its below i tend to play from my crease.

couldnt agree more

dont be afraid to 'leave home'

dance down the wicket for a range of shot

go back and cut

bat with confidence

play your shots

during our semi last yr i opened the batting and was cruising on 20* when the spinner came on

he pitched the ball halfway down the pitch and bounced it up to my neck

i was hesitant against him, and the runs stopped

eight overs later i had two more, and i cut him straight to slip

dont be afraid to hit the spinner!!

A lot of the best players of spin like to advance down the wicket but at the same time, Garfield Sobers, himself a very good player of spin, was known to pose the question; "why give the bowler another way to get you out?" The thing both he and the advancers had in common however, was that they looked to hit spin down the ground. If you're good at that, then you're not simply waiting for the spin bowler to make a mistake, you can fight him on his own turf.

Along a similar line, something Hayden did very well in his incredible tour of India was to combine the slog sweep with the lofted drive. In themselves they can be very risky concepts to focus on and the slog sweep isn't always a classy shot, but the combination can prove much more powerful that its components. It allows the batsman to manoeuvre the field and create areas to hit safely. When played well, the fielding captain is either one step behind, conceding a lot of boundaries or allowing easy singles.

Try using your bat.

Oh really brought a bat out to the crease with me.:eek:

pelican102 added 2 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

A lot of the best players of spin like to advance down the wicket but at the same time, Garfield Sobers, himself a very good player of spin, was known to pose the question; "why give the bowler another way to get you out?" The thing both he and the advancers had in common however, was that they looked to hit spin down the ground. If you're good at that, then you're not simply waiting for the spin bowler to make a mistake, you can fight him on his own turf.

Along a similar line, something Hayden did very well in his incredible tour of India was to combine the slog sweep with the lofted drive. In themselves they can be very risky concepts to focus on and the slog sweep isn't always a classy shot, but the combination can prove much more powerful that its components. It allows the batsman to manoeuvre the field and create areas to hit safely. When played well, the fielding captain is either one step behind, conceding a lot of boundaries or allowing easy singles.

To the spinners and somtimes the quicks if its a half volley i tend to hack it down the ground(this is at school in the nets) and they would be going for boundries. From what everyone has said i should be dancing down or just working it in my crease.

Thanks for the advice guys today i got stumped by a leg spinner but i was carting him just got a bit excited.thanks soooooooo much!

How they said not to be scared of hitting the spinners and i done just that.

facepalm.jpg

No, you idiot, that doesn't mean to try to hit every ball out of the park.

I try to hit every ball I face of a spinner out of the park...

Bit late, but you should try and wait for the ball before playing. And if you see it well flighted, make up your mind quick whether to advance or not, and follow through with it. Don't hesitate either way, you'll get stuck. Even if you advance and don't reach the ball, check your shot and play it more defensively. Maybe follow through with it if you are hitting with the spin and know for sure which way it's turning...

Users who are viewing this thread