ICC confirms 10 teams for next two World Cups

If ICC reduce the world cup to 10 teams there needs to be some sort of Football Style Qualification system over the 3/4 years before the world cup.

I think that's the general idea, but based on the rankings table. They just need to decide how many teams automatically qualify, and how many have to play in the qualifying tournament:
ICC meeting in May to decide new World Cup format | Live Cric Info Online

And I'm a bit confused about what's going on. The article I just linked there was 1 month ago and it said all these decisions were going to be made in May. Earlier this week, Lorgat said the 12 team option was still being talked about, and now today we've suddenly got 10 teams locked in, not just for 2015 but for 2019 as well. That's 3 conflicting stories. If I'm picking one that doesn't smell right it's the last one - why on earth would you lock yourself into 10 teams for 2019, when it's 8 years away?

Either way, I don't think the Irish have any right to be bitching on Twitter about the 10 team WC until someone says that they can't actually qualify. They are just assuming that they won't be in the 10 teams, which generally just makes an ASS out of U and ME.

A real blow for Associate cricket, especially for Ireland who in my books were more competitive than both Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Unless Associate teams get more matches against top class teams, they're in for a dearth of quality cricket.

Just because Bangladesh and Zimbabwe have Full Member status doesn't mean they should automatically be guaranteed participation considering their poor performances. I do like the idea of a qualifier where the two bottom Full Member sides play the top two Associate sides for the two spots.

----------

Either way, I don't think the Irish have any right to be bitching on Twitter about the 10 team WC until someone says that they can't actually qualify. They are just assuming that they won't be in the 10 teams, which generally just makes an ASS out of U and ME.

World Cup 2015: Warren Deutrom - 'An absolute black day for the sport' | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

The 2015 event in Australia and New Zealand will only include the ten Test-playing nations after the ICC decided against a qualification system for the tournament, which means no chance for the likes of Ireland or Netherlands to earn a place. For 2019 there is the prospect of Associates and Affiliates finding a way back in through qualification, but today's decision has effectively frozen them out of the game's showpiece event for eight years.

It's not a terrile idea. People are acting like there's boatloads of deserving associates missing out, but there really aren't. The only associate that performed well in the WC was Ireland. Considering that there are 9 "Big" Nations right now (I'll give BAN the benefit of the doubt), having 10 teams will let one deserving associate nation in (I don't think even the ICC is stupid enough to give ZIM an automatic bid), and that'll be a goal to target for the associates.

It's not like they have a chance to win the WC anyway, so making the WC would basically be like winning the WC for them. Letting teams like Canada and Kenya in only dilutes the tourney, and makes actually being in the WC less of an achievement for the associates overall.

About the actual format, I think the '92 round robin format would be the best. It wouldn't be a money disaster b/c IND/ENG/PAK/AUS won't get knocked out early, but it also invites for excitement because only 4/10 teams make the semis, thus making every match important.

(Note; If the ICC DOES in fact give ZIM an automatic bid, then yes, this is a horrible idea. The last spot, maybe the last 2 spots, should have a qualification process)

Good decision.

People need to remember cricket unlike other sports is unique in the sense that it has 3 formats. Thus can be flexible.

Every world-cup an upset happens, but associates aren't exactly breaking & threatening the top 10 nations as is the case in the football world-cup. Id say by having the associates in the T20 world-cup makes them more competitive & dangerous - while the 50 over world-cup will be for the main teams.

Good decision.

People need to remember cricket unlike other sports is unique in the sense that it has 3 formats. Thus can be flexible.

Every world-cup an upset happens, but associates aren't exactly breaking & threatening the top 10 nations as is the case in the football world-cup. Id say by having the associates in the T20 world-cup makes them more competitive & dangerous - while the 50 over world-cup will be for the main teams.

No. It is just killing Irish cricket when they have absolutely no chance to qualify for 2015 when the two teams that performed WORSE than Ireland will get an auto entry. Have this make sense to me (you can't).

No. It is just killing Irish cricket when they have absolutely no chance to qualify for 2015 when the two teams that performed WORSE than Ireland will get an auto entry. Have this make sense to me (you can't).

Its just one tournament performance man. 1999 WC Zimbabwe & 2003 WC Kenya did wayy better than Ireland this year & look at them now. This could conceivably like those past ZIM & KEN teams be the best crop of Irish cricketers Ireland will have for years, since their isn't a production line of talent to keep producing quality/decent standard players consistently.

Are you confident the current Irish team could beat Bangladesh or Zimbabwe consistently over a 5-match ODI series?. I'm not, so its bit rich to say not playing in the next WC will kill Irish cricket. Cricket is still like the 3rd/4th most popular sport in Ireland (their enthusiasm for the sport is nothing compared to Bangladesh for eg), so consistently playing the 50 over WC isn't going to strengthen or kill Irish cricket if the general public interest in the sport picks up dramatically.

But to be fair to Ireland, the ICC could have just guaranteed 9 places & say all the associates & Zimbabwe would then battle for 1 spot. Since ZIM certainly doesn't deserve to have a guaranteed WC spot for 2015 at all.

Also as i said cricket has the T20 world cup as well. Ireland & all the other associates will be involved in that. They would have a far better chance of upsetting major teams in that format - thats the uniqueness that cricket brings by having 3 formats & this is fair trade-off for the associates - so i dont see the big deal.

----------

zimbabwe were absolutely terrible, it's also worth noting that the windies can be lumped in with them and bangladesh.

That doesn't mean anything. WIndies had alot of players injured. Making the quarters with so much players injured was a far as most expected of them from the start.

----------

So with the new format does that mean all 10 teams will play each other??, that could be a pretty long tournament as well.

The best format i could envision for the 10 teams is going back to the 1992 world cup format.

But geez i think by now cricket should have had a settled format for the cup like how it is in the FIFA world cup. Every tournament is change, really very dis-organised.

cricket with balls ? The ICC takes the world out of the World Cup: Fight for your right to Borren - join sehwagology

I've already emailed the ICC, and slandered them on twitter.

Do join me!

----------

It's not a terrile idea. People are acting like there's boatloads of deserving associates missing out, but there really aren't. The only associate that performed well in the WC was Ireland. Considering that there are 9 "Big" Nations right now (I'll give BAN the benefit of the doubt), having 10 teams will let one deserving associate nation in (I don't think even the ICC is stupid enough to give ZIM an automatic bid), and that'll be a goal to target for the associates.

It's not like they have a chance to win the WC anyway, so making the WC would basically be like winning the WC for them. Letting teams like Canada and Kenya in only dilutes the tourney, and makes actually being in the WC less of an achievement for the associates overall.

About the actual format, I think the '92 round robin format would be the best. It wouldn't be a money disaster b/c IND/ENG/PAK/AUS won't get knocked out early, but it also invites for excitement because only 4/10 teams make the semis, thus making every match important.

(Note; If the ICC DOES in fact give ZIM an automatic bid, then yes, this is a horrible idea. The last spot, maybe the last 2 spots, should have a qualification process)
That's f*cked up logic. This is the World Cup FFS. Not the Handful Of Nations Actually Good at Cricket Cup. Do you think every team at the FIFA tournaments have a chance at winning the WC? No. Does every nation in the Olympics stand a chance at winning medals? No. Does that mean we exclude them? Ofcourse not.

How on Earth are you going to spread Cricket around this world if you aren't going let the World take part?

By this logic you may as well dump WI, BD, Zim and New Zealand since they're not winning the WC anytime soon. Lets just leave it between India, Sri Lank, Pakistan, Australia, England and South Africa why don't we?

FFS this is a horrible, horrible decision. No way on Earth to justify it apart from greed and idiocity.

This is way stupid, ICC suppose to promote the game not the other way around. Not only this world cup even the world cup before Ireland have shown they have more talent then Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. They should get a chance or give them test status.

If they wants to have 10 teams only, why not replace the bottom 2 teams with top associate teams.

This is a big blow for game of cricket

Good decision.

Why the fearsome tweak are you even still posting here on PC? It's clear you don't love cricket. Otherwise you'd want it's joys spread out with the rest of the world.

It's a World Cup. WORLD. We had a tournament fro the 10 ten teams - it was called the Champions Trophy. Do you remember how that ended up?

One of the biggest draws of the World Cup is that we see the WORLD play. During this WC I saw Canadians and Dutch watch cricket for the first time because their nation was taking part, we saw Cricket make the front page in Irish newspapers, we saw talent like Balaji Rao, RtD, Rizwan Cheema, Hiran Patel, George Dockrell, Kevin O Brien, Pieter Seelar make themselves known on the international stage...actually, you know what, why the fearsome tweak am I wasting my time trying to convince you. You're just as bad as the hacks who run the ICC.

The T20 World Cup has more prestige than the ODI WC now because the world will actually get to take part in it.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA Wow talk about your gross exaggerations & crazy insults.

Firstly this post should be reported to the planet cricket administrators. Since this kind of posting would not lead to any form of decent cricket discussion - but rather nothing more than nasty personal insults - which certainly this isn't called for.

Since the ICC has made more seriously poor decision in recent years (i.e making the BCCI having so much power in the game & not revamping, the URDS not being universal, jam-packed international schedules) & i dont recall seeing too many cricket fans up in arms over that in this way. So you oughta chill..

Why the fried chicken are you even still posting here on PC? It's clear you don't love cricket. Otherwise you'd want it's joys spread out with the rest of the world.

I love cricket tremendously & always will - get the much straight. Having a point of view which is shared by the ICC that the 50 over world cup should be limited to 10 teams - does not mean in anyway i dont love the game or want it to spread. :facepalm

Although id admit im not too fussed about the game spread - not because i dont want it to. But quite clearly unlike other sports i.e football cricket is a game that really takes long for most teams in history to grasp & master. Every team for example since test cricket began in 1876 took at least 20+ years to become a seriously competitive test nation up until Sri Lanka in the mid 1990s. Zimbabwe where going well up between 1992-1999 then went completely backwards & Bangladesh looks to be following them (although enthusiasm for cricket in that nation is clearly very strong).

So the ICC are within its rights to be concerned about this try & keep the 50 over world cup as competitive as possible. Plus cricket is lucky also that its unique compared to other sports that is has the T20 format. Thus making the decision a fair trade-off for the associates - so i dont see the big deal.

If T20 never came about, the ICC would have just left things how it was most likely.

It's a World Cup. WORLD. We had a tournament fro the 10 ten teams - it was called the Champions Trophy. Do you remember how that ended up?

Yes the champions trophy was a good tournament, especially the 2006 & 2009 formats. Plus the 1992 world cup had 10 teams as well, im sure you wont find any Pakistan fans who will be complaining that their world cup triumph was less great or anything because associates weren't involved.

The only reason understandably that champions trophy is being scrapped is because you have a new limited overs format in the T20 world-cup to have as the next major limited overs competition outside the 50 over cup.

This "WORLD" talk is also a big exaggerated. Associate teams in cricket just haven't developed fast enough - simple. In football in the last decade you hear commentators regularly say "they are no easy international games in football" & thats the truth. Those little nations really make it hard for certain teams in world cups & world cup qualifiers. In cricket throw the odd upset aside - the same thing cannot be said unfortunately.

One of the biggest draws of the World Cup is that we see the WORLD play. During this WC I saw Canadians and Dutch watch cricket for the first time because their nation was taking part, we saw Cricket make the front page in Irish newspapers, we saw talent like Balaji Rao, RtD, Rizwan Cheema, Hiran Patel, George Dockrell, Kevin O Brien, Pieter Seelar make themselves known on the international stage...actually, you know what, why the fried chicken am I wasting my time trying to convince you. You're just as bad as the hacks who run the ICC.

Ok you saw some talented Canadian players (i was only really impressed by their keeper - but thats cool). But you did realize all of them where migrants right?. Cricket has not broken into the hearts of minds of born & bread Canadians - so Canada aren't progressing as an associate nation - the hardcore truth. Natural born Canadian still worships Hockey & lacrosse as their national sports. Football (the worlds game) has hardly made a dent in Canada, so i dont know what much hope cricket has regardless of how much the ICC keeps backing them.

Ryan TDs talent was noticeable long before he played for Holland in the world cups. You probably weren't following English domestic cricket much i presume. If he wanted he could decided he wanted play for ENG early in his career like Morgan & one would have never noticed.

Dockrell, Rankin, O'Brein (Naill & Kevin) thanks to the 07 cup & 010 T20 cup made themselves known on the international stage, But i see no reason why that cant continue doing that with Ireland playing in the T20 cup.

The rest of your statement in the portion of your post is nothing more than childish.

The T20 World Cup has more prestige than the ODI WC now because the world will actually get to take part in it.

Nah. 50 Over cricket will always be the better & more presitgious limited overs format. A batsman & bowlers flaws will be tested more aptly in that format.

If for example in future T20 tournaments associate teams dont challenge enough - then down the line the T20 world-cup could also get trimmed down as well.

But as it stands the T20 world-cup is the better cup format for sure for the associates to get exposure on the world stage moving forward.

Last edited:
Although id admit im not too fussed about the game spread - not because i dont it to.
Your argument ends there. You have no say in this. You're one of those 'elites' who wants cricket to remain within your own little circle for God knows what reason. Just like the ICC, you have no desire in opening your doors to the outside world, to spreading cricket around or to let outsiders to join your little band. The group that thinks 'You're either English, Australian, Subcontinental, South African or West Indian if you want to play cricket. Otherwise, we don't want you as a part of our group sorry.'

That's the same logic that will lead to the death of cricket, an irrational fear of letting outsiders have a role in the sport. Excuses like 'it's too long', 'minnows aren't good enough', 'they don't understand the history' are all rubbish. Spread it by T20, Ireland beat England, and what does history have to do with enjoying a sport.

The fact is that the ICC has just closed the door on the entire planet that isn't already a Test-Playing nation with this statement. Cricket fans and players in non-test nations now have nothing to aim for. They couldn't play Tests before, fine, but there was always a World Cup where they finally, for one time in 4 years they get to rub shoulders with the big boys and represent their nation in the sport they love, at the highest level.

But seriously, what's the point now? Why should they even play cricket? What good will all their efforts and dedication come to if they are never going to get a chance to show their skills at the biggest stage of them all? It's not like they're earning a good living from this. And it's not like their nations care if they're playing cricket - without a WC cricket is meaningless in Canada, Ireland, Netherlands. And don't you dare bring up T20 - I challenge you to find ONE cricketer on this planet who will recognise that as a proper form of the sport and choose to represent their nation in it over ODIs.

The ICC has just killed the ambitions of thousands, if not millions, of cricket fans and players around the world with one clean swipe.

You know what's embarassing? We claim cricket is the second most followed sport on the Planet, it's spreading, it's growing. Absolute bullshit. My friends from France and Spain had never even heard of cricket before coming to UST. Hong Kong locals have no clue how the sport works. Which sports do they know? Hockey. Volleyball. Tennis. Basketball. All sports supposedly lower on the rung than Cricket.

This is a joke. Cricket is still not yet an international sport, and if the ICC is going to continue like this, it will never be. It'll continue to be an ancient colonial past-time, open to only a small exclusive group with no new members welcome. A club that you can only join if you were born into it, or adopt the nationality of one of the nations that are welcome.

Frankly this is utter and complete rubbish and exactly why cricket is dying.

Last edited by a moderator:
So with the new format does that mean all 10 teams will play each other??, that could be a pretty long tournament as well.

If they did play round robin it wouldn't last much longer than in 1992. That would be 45 group matches, two semis and a final. I trust they aren't going for a two group and either QFs set up similar to 1996 or two groups and super six like 1999.

10 World Cups so far, EIGHT different formats. :facepalm

Should just get the ODI league in place now, totally unfair for the associate to not even get the chance to qualify for the WC. This could well set their game back quite a few years.

Move to ODIs in tiered leagues all year round, then maybe the ICC wouldn't have to make 'tough' decisions over who should be 'allowed' into the World Cup. While I liked the format of the 1992 World Cup, it was back when all entrants were half-decent or better and played at a time when it wasn't about scoring 300 with powerplays and replays.

Honestly cricket has become about money and TV, no doubt TV had some input into this decision and viewing figures no doubt dipped when minnows were playing so TV and ICC put their heads together and came up with a format that has similar numbers of games but no minnows.

Had to laugh at Bangladesh having an inquest into their World Cup failure yet England don't seem to be having one! No doubt they've already made their minds up it was the loss of Pietersen and Broad, bad luck, a long Ashes tour and a whole host of other feeble excuses. You don't lose a QF by 10 wickets if there isn't a problem, you don't lose to Bangladesh and Ireland if there isn't a problem.

Never mind eh, always next time, except with it being much tougher and no Holland's to just about beat, England may struggle even more as I'm sure selection policy won't change, we'll keep picking Test players, inexperienced players and T20I level players

I just warn everyone that you are to discuss the opinions you have and not discuss the person having that opinion.

Personal insults are not the way to win an argument.

They should have atleast 12 teams in WC and there have to be qualifiers like in football where the non test playing nations should be allowed to play the test playing nations .
It is amusing to see that though 14 nation WC was a huge success yet ICC slashed it to a 10 team event.

Users who are viewing this thread