If you had to pick your England XI now...

Trescothick

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
... for the Ashes test matches, what would it be? and explain why

The questions for me are, should Pietersen get in the test side right now? and, which bowling attack is the strongest?

I think you've got to pick your best players, and at the moment Pietersen is England's best batsman. I wouldn't worry about him playing test cricket, he was originally called up to the test squad and not the one-day squad. There is an obvious flaw in his technique, quality bowlers will take advantage of his stride across the stumps, particularly on English wickets. He does seem to have an incredible eye, but I think he needs to work on it.

If one of the current batsmen had to make way, it would be Mark Butcher, with Vaughan moving up to #3 and Pietersen at #4.. To be honest I think Vaughan should be opening, he's an opening batsman. But I wouldn't disturb the Trescothick/Strauss partnership while it's going so well. I think Strauss is the perfect man to drop down the order and hold the innings together after Thorpe's time.

It was either going to be Thorpe or Butcher making way. The short version of how I decided is - Thorpe is a better player. The longer version is - Butcher is a great batsman on his day, and his strokeplay is wonderful to watch. The trouble is, his days just don't happen often enough. With Vaughan out of form, if the openers fail, Butcher has to play the rock, and he just hasn't been reliable enough, often enough.

The other factor is that Thorpe is so reliable. I've lost count of the number of times England have been in trouble and Thorpe has stepped up and played a huge innings to save or win a match. His career average is 44. Trescothick, Vaughan and Strauss have had the luxury of only being around relatively recently, enjoying England's success, but Thorpe maintained that average in a much poorer side, whilst losing matches.

If we take him out of the side, who do we rely on in a crisis? He's proven himself time and again to be England's most valuable test player, and I'm praying he doesn't retire after the Ashes, I'm sure he's got at least two years in him yet.

As for the bowling, Hoggard and Harmison pick themselves, irrespective of current form. It is admittedly a biased view, but in my opinion there is no finer opening partnership in the world. I'd pick Jones over Anderson and everyone else, but I'd use him a lot more, particularly in the first innings.

Whilst I have never been Ashley Giles' biggest fan, I've never been one of his detractors. He's always done a great job for the team, and is almost an all-rounder with his batting. I just question whether we need a full-time spinner on English wickets. Michael Vaughan is a much better bowler than he thinks he is, and could be the part time spinner. If he worked more on his bowling I'd leave Giles out and pick an extra batsman. Four full-time seemers plus Vaughan and Trescothick is more than enough bowling. That would allow Butcher back into the side.

So relying on Vaughan bowling more, my ideal XI would be - Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Butcher, Pietersen, Thorpe, Flintoff, Jones, Hoggard, Jones, Harmison.

After the Ashes however, I'd like to see Ian Bell in the test side. I also don't believe that Collingwood should only play one-day cricket, he's good enough to be a test match all rounder. My long-term line-up would be - Trescothick, Vaughan, Bell, Pietersen, Strauss, Flintoff, Collingwood, Jones, Hoggard, Jones, Harmison.

Top 8 capable of regular 50's.
Four front-line seemers, plus at least three capable p/t bowlers.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Test x11

Tresco
Strauss
Vaughan
Thorpe
Pieterson
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Jones
Harmison

ODI X11

Tresco
Strauss
Vaughan
Pieterson
Flintoff
Collingwood
Jones
Giles
Ali
Jones
Harmison

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
I think you need a full time spinner.

Test XI

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Thorpe
Flintoff
Gerraint Jones
Giles
Simon Jones
Hoggard
Harmison

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Don't totally agree with the lineups posted by Andrew and the_gas. If Butcher is fit I'd like to see him playing against the Aussies. Not too sure about the batting order either. I might put Pieterson at 3 rather then Vaughan if I was playing him.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Test XI
1. Threscothick
2. Strauss
3,4,5 and 6.Vaughan, Thorpe, Flintoff and Jones the middle order in any batting order depending on the situation.
7. Pieterson/Collingwood
8. Giles
9. Hoggard(also nightwatchmen if needed)
10. S.Jones
11. Harmison

ODI XI
The current one with Flintoff in and Bell/Solanki out and Threscothick-Vaughan opening and Strauss at four or 5(Pieterson or G.Jones could be 3)

Trescothick

Club Cricketer
You'd leave Flintoff out of the test side?.... and have Pietersen down at #7?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
No, he's got Flintoff in. It's the same side as Andrew and the_gas with the option of Pieterson or Collingwood (no question there imo).

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Trescothick said:
You'd leave Flintoff out of the test side?.... and have Pietersen down at #7?
If needed he could go up the order, but he would still be new to the test side and would need a bit of experience. And Flintoff is there if you read carefully.

Trescothick

Club Cricketer
Sorry, I was confused because you said ODI side with Flintoff in. Thought you meant your test side, not the current ODI team.

nik

International Cricketer
Test:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Thorpe
Flintoff
Gerraint Jones
Giles
Simon Jones
Hoggard
Harmison (or wharf)

cricketfan1987

School Cricketer
Test Side

Tresco
Strauss
Vaughan
Thorpe
Peitersen
Flintoff
G.Jones
A.Giles
M.Hoggard
S.Harmison
S.Jones

ODI XI

Tresco
Strauss
Vaughan
Flintoff
BIG KEV
G.Jones
P.Collingwood
A.Giles
K.Ali
D.Gough
S.Harmison/ M.hoggard depening on form

sd92

International Coach
Test:
Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Peiterson
Thorpe
Flintoff
G.Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Wharf
Harmison

Will p

International Cricketer
Test
Strauss
Vaughn
Pieterson
Tresco
Thorpe
Freddie
Jonesy
Gilo
Hoggard
Harmison
S.JOnes

ODI
Tresco
VAughn
Solanki
Strauss
Pieterson
Freddie
collingwood
jones
gilo
gough
harmison

ask if you wanna know but the tresco at no.4!

Users who are viewing this thread