India-the next England ?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
First to all Englishmen-I'm not abusing England.

Well all i have to say here is that India and England both do well in Test matches but fail miserably in one-dayers.
My question is - Is India becoming the next England ?

I think they are. But India can win ODIs, unlike England. India has ODI skill and knowledge, English players are young and not so experienced. They can win, just that they don't apply themselves.

England can win ODI's. Kevin Pietersen is usually required to fire if they are going to win though. Flintoff's also got some very handsome stats.

Probably...The problem with England is that the selectors are too figety and always swapping players and stuff....and India may be going down the same path:(

Problem I find with England is 1) Changing squads so much (How many players have got a cap in ODIs for England in the last couple of years? Must be nearing 30) and 2) we lack a wicket taking spinner. Maybe Monty is that but he needs to bowl more for Northants in OD cricket.

England also seem to have a knack of at some point in most ODIs of being in a good position we just seem to throw it away quite often.

I'm struggling to see the comparison to be honest. I mean, they're both quite different teams at the moment. India don't tend to struggle in one form of the game, just conditions that these games take place in. Whereas England are often let done by one area of their game.

Also I think England are improving in the Odi arena. If Harmison and Mahmood/Anderson fire, then with Lewis, Dalrymple and Freddie often keeping fairly tight, it's a fairly decent bowling attack. Then it just becomes a case of KP, Colly, Freddie and Strauss batting well. Could do with Tresco also sorting himself out and providing the rapid starts at the top of the innings again.

Actually, India have a long way to go before they can be compared to England in Tests. And, also, India are just going through a bad patch in ODIs. Therefore, on the other hand, England also have a long way to go before they can be compared to India in ODIs.

Let's not forget, India still have to prove themselves in foreign conditions in Test matches, they have been throughout history very poor tourists. So it's not like India are really that great, in fact even at home a second string England attack managed to tie the series with them. England have also proven themselves in South Africa, where not many teams do well. On the contrary, in ODIs, India are just passing through a lean phase. Unlike England, who are very much poor and lack basic talent when it comes to ODIs.

In conclusion, no India are not becoming like England because India still have a lot to prove before they can be compared to relatively good Test teams like England and as far as ODIs are concerned... No India don't fail miserably in ODI, they are just terribly out of form and the same wouldn't have been said 7-8 months ago.

Last edited:
I agree with CricMaster.

India are a more than capable team. Don't think they'll fall into the category of England (no offence).

wfdu_ben91 said:
England can win ODI's. Kevin Pietersen is usually required to fire if they are going to win though. Flintoff's also got some very handsome stats.
No England CANT win ODIS, India CAN win ODIS, i know people ahve said this but that is the difference between the squads

Feelin Blue? said:
No England CANT win ODIS, India CAN win ODIS, i know people ahve said this but that is the difference between the squads
Exactly. England seems lost in ODIs. They need the likes of Hollioake, Gough, Ramprakash, Loye and such.

Feelin Blue? said:

And that's why England won the last one-dayer they played because of the guy I mentioned and India lost the last one-dayer they played. :D

wfdu_ben91 said:
And that's why England won the last one-dayer they played because of the guy I mentioned and India lost the last one-dayer they played. :D

Notice the difference between the quality of the opposition and the difference in the conditions.

CricMaster said:
Notice the difference between the quality of the opposition and the difference in the conditions.

What are you talking about? The West Indies ended up coming runners up in that particular tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread