Langerrox's downloads!

What project should i tackle next?

• Total voters
man i am serious and i ain't fooling around.
let me know when you ready.

ok man i will make some and post
i think for that we gota use paintshop coz it got the 3D option.

here is my first try.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 207
  • wills bat.png
    wills bat.png
    69 KB · Views: 202
saurabh2185 said:
How this one looks
that looks great

Burma's Finest said:
Am I missing the point here? What is the point of 3D bats? They look rather odd. :what
3D bats look more realstic coz of the edges and it more becomes to look like a real bat isn't it?

hey Collin what you think of 3D bats are they cool?

specially see my wills bat template doesn't it look soild/tough?

I don't think there is a need for 3d bats in cricket05. EA has already made the edges of the bat 3d.

man don't just look at the edges see the whole bat and you will know
bats gonna look tough buddy in my opinon.
if u guys have objections then its ok we won't make 3D bats.

aryan_6668 said:
man don't just look at the edges see the whole bat and you will know
bats gonna look tough buddy in my opinon.
if u guys have objections then its ok we won't make 3D bats.
I don't think anyone's objecting Aryan. It's just that from the few images that have been posted, it's a little tricky to see what the real advantages are. Perhaps you and Langerrox can refine the process a little bit and then we'll be able to judge better what you're trying to achieve. I await the results with interest. For me, the real disappointment of C2K05 is that the textures aren't in DDS format like in BLIC. If they were, we could have done some awesome stuff using Normal Maps.

Last edited:
Burma's Finest said:
For me, the real disappointment of C2K05 is that the textures aren't in DDS format like in BLIC. If they were, we could have done some awesome stuff using Normal Maps.

Could you explain this in detail please?
Cheers.

barmyarmy said:
Could you explain this in detail please?
Cheers.
Ok. So, Normal Maps simulate 3D effects using 2D textures. They are not the same as Bump Maps or Height Maps as they are sometimes referred to, it should be pointed out. They are similar but quite distinct from Bump Mapping. Here is an example texture:

globalsample.jpg

'a texture on a surface contains two textures - a color map and a second map that contains the height information for the surface. A height map would be a gray-scale image that encodes height information as shades from black (the lowest) to white (the highest). The game engine is able to use this height map to render highlights and shadows on the surface according to where the lights in the scene are located, resulting in a vastly improved surface realism.'

This is a what bump map for that image would look like trying to make it look 3d:

heightmapsample1.jpg

Combining the two produces a result like this:

firstgensample.jpg

'While a height map only contains 1 plane of information - the "Z" (height) plane, a normal map contains 3 vectors of information - "X" direction, "Y" direction and "Z" direction. Thus, each pixel in a normal map encodes which direction that particular point is facing - the "normal vector" of the surface. Each pixel in a normal map has meaningful information, so details can be rendered more crisply than with bump maps alone. This allows modern game engines to more realistically portray the lighting on a surface. A properly constructed normal map can fool the eye into perceiving much more complex 3D geometry on a simple surface. Theoretically, normal maps on a cube can make it appear spherical, at least in terms of shading properties (the outline remains unchanged).'

They simulate highlighting and shadow casting on a per pixel basis using pixel shader technology. As far as I'm aware, it was one of the new things introduced with DirectX 9.0 but I may be wrong on that front. The classic example that got a lot of press was from the Half-Life 2 promotional stuff from E3 two years ago. They showed how a detailed cave wall was actually very simple geometry and very clever Normal Mapping.

The Normal Map would look like this:

normalmap.jpg

So, while the height map stores information for only one direction of topography (i.e., closer and further away from the camera plane), the Normal map has three directions of data which allows a real-time lighting engine to calculate the effect of a dynamic light on a texture thus altering the highlighting and shadow casting in real-time. There's no point in me posting a picture because it's all about dynamic lighting effects rather than static ones. Any pic would basically look like the combined image above. The difference would be if you could move the light source around the image, the highlighting and shading would transform accordingly.

If you want to get a hands-on feel for the power of pixel shading, download the Virtools shader demo HERE(2.9Mb). One of the options demonstrates normal mapping. I can't remember if you need the Virtools plug-in (as I have the whole Virtools software installed so it's hard for me to tell). If you do, get it HERE.
Hope that's detailed enough. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread