Leg glance/dismissal suggestions

jerkmerml

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
So, I put 200 hours into DBC14, mainly playing against my ultra-competitive best friend in test matches and t20s.

My one, and only issue with the game (which eventually caused so much argument between the two of us that we had to stop playing), is that there didn't seem to be enough of a punishment (on any difficulty level) for poorly timed, or incorrect use of the front foot, leg glance.

He's a bit of a Mark Waugh fan, fair enough, but our games would literally consist of him attempting to hit everything on the stumps, or two stumps outside off, through square/fine leg.

No matter what I'd bowl, that's what he'd do. And the majority of the time (4 balls an over) he'd be sucked into playing it for a ball that moved away, and he'd miss it. Repeatedly, over and over. If he didn't miss it, he got runs.

Varying the pace was the only thing he had to watch for, because no matter which way I moved it, he either scored, or missed the ball. Utterly infuriating - he's that competitive, he would chase 400 down in singles and 2s in this manner (I knew where to put the field obviously).

There just didn't seem to be anything involving the outside edge with that shot, or I dunno, the ball hitting the splice and ballooning up in the air. In fact, if I was going to point out one thing with the dismissals in the game, there isn't any of those top edged, straight up in the air, almost caught on the pitch or by the keeper type dismissals.

Other than that - brilliant work as always, and I have no doubt I'll be putting another 200 odd into DBC17!

I have to admit that with my career player I probably score 80-85% of my runs this way in first-class matches. Only real risk involved is if I mistime a slower ball really poorly, I might be out LB or bowled, but that happens once in a blue moon. I can almost always beat the fielder at SL or FSL with timing, and in FC games I just leave everything outside off until my confidence is up and then I can use the cut to score through point depending on the field setting.

It's just too dodgy trying to play anything straight with a mid-off and mid-on because the ball doesn't travel quickly enough unless you go aggressive. It's probably my foremost complaint with the game - the pace of the ball off the bat and ESPECIALLY off the pads doesn't seem right. I've been playing the game for three years and still have never seen a leg-bye.

No matter what the developers do, people will always work out exploits. I guess the players need to be fairer to the game and play in good spirit.

No matter what the developers do, people will always work out exploits. I guess the players need to be fairer to the game and play in good spirit.

Understandable, but this one is pretty blatant, and I have more chance of getting the devs to fix it than I have getting my mate to be a better human being!

You should change the thread title. Your OP is actually well measured and a good post but the thread title leads one to think it is going to be an entitled shit-fest...

I agree that the leg glance is overpowered and not enough penalty/error for either human or AI. (Though actually francos hack does seem to address it a bit.)

You should change the thread title. Your OP is actually well measured and a good post but the thread title leads one to think it is going to be an entitled shit-fest...

I agree that the leg glance is overpowered and not enough penalty/error for either human or AI. (Though actually francos hack does seem to address it a bit.)
I ignored this thread for a couple of days just due to the Title! I thought it was a whiny kid with a "BigAnt MUST have .." kind of post.

Its definitely a go to shot for many regardless of the delivery bowled for sure and even for balls bowled outside, it could be slogged to leg without any issue, nothing rewarding whatsoever..This shot is present in DBC 17 as well and can do the same with that...But how effective or defective it is, can be seen only when we get to the gameplay part which obviously would be the full game...

Both this leg glance and that awkward third mate shot ate the online gameplay..

I ignored this thread for a couple of days just due to the Title! I thought it was a whiny kid with a "BigAnt MUST have .." kind of post.

absolutely the same. and it wouldn't altogether surprise if BA did that too. i was genuinely pleasantly surprised by the fact the OP was actually a reasonable post :)

I fully agree with the OP too. In DBC14 it was an elephant in the room while batting... I'd be trying to get immersed in a match, using a variety of strokes to score, but always knew that if I did want to just accumulate in a relatively risk-free way I could just leg glance everything. The lofted late cut was also very safe and high scoring with no third man - seems to hit boundaries easily in the DBC17 beta as well.

I don't think the answer is "don't use it then" or "find better friends" - I think the goal for gameplay in a sports game should be balance it in such a way that it stimulates and rewards the same strategic thinking as in the real thing without the user having to enforce limits on themselves due to unbalanced and exploitable elements. It is very difficult to find this balance and it's never going to be perfect, but it's worth pointing out the glaring issues if there's a chance they can be tweaked.

the issue is not with your friend, but with how its designed. Having played quite a few hours with DB14, I do the same ie. 80% of my shots are leg side. Is this an exploit? no, its still a valid shot. the biggest issue is the high likelihood of nicking the ball when trying to play cover drives or anything offside. so I just stop playing those shots. We all know offside shots are risky however the majority of runs for batsmen come from the cover region so maybe the probability of nicking the ball (as designed) is too high?

Thanks for the constructive comments all! Fair point on the thread title too, but I don't think I can edit it (edit, found it) - it was late at night, and I was going for a desperate tone (imagining being stuck in another 6 hour run chase in singles and twos) rather than entitled, haha.

To reiterate - there are plenty of issues with my friend, and he should absolutely be replaced, doing my best here. Sometimes you have to work with what you've got, even if it's a super competitive, regularly concussed gridiron QB who also enjoys cricket.

One thing I've noticed with pace and spin in this game is more movement off the pitch, by a long long way. Might be an evening factor online. If you've got one pitching on leg and then darting back the other way might add enough risk for an LBW, those cutters really fly.

Bowling machine doesn't elicit as much movement as the human player does as of yet, so AI still might be a problem.

Obviously wild speculation at this point.

Dismissal suggestion - leading edges

Users who are viewing this thread