Like Demons Souls tough but has a decent feel.

fanirama

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just picked this up from Steam for $9.99. Not too bad. However, the game is brutal.

First bat I scored 4 all out. Then I hit the nets and practiced. The control scheme is ridiculously over engineered, has very small timing window which isn't displayed anywhere, shot control is there but tricky and AI is from hell (if it exists ;)

This game gets my hall of fame award for being in the same league as Demons Souls, Ninja Gaiden and couple of others ( I'm too scared to even name them to avoid nightmares. Oh ! The horror ! The horror ! ).

So, after hitting the nets for what seemed like hours and by-hearting the stroke for a delivery type (thankfully the nets have the Tab overlaying the batting controls, sadly missing in main gameplay), I could muster 61/3 in a 10 over game. 5 fours, no sixes and a two.

I never practiced bowling, so the AI started off aggressive getting 33 in about 3 overs before I managed to start restricting them with my spinners.

My fielders were abysmal letting 2's easy as their pick up and throws were piss poor.

Anyways, I managed to let them win in 8 overs as they made it 62/1 in that. ( I got one bowled ).

Some positive things about this game are :

+ BRUTUALLY HARD. You will cry.
+ Has a strange attractiveness that makes me keep coming back for my daily dose of beatings. The devs should be arrested for abuse.
+ Good foundation to build a really good cricket game
+ fresh camera views when scoring runs. I liked their angle choices
+ attempts to be different from the loads of competition. What ? There are so many cricket games to choose from. Its staggering.
+ I like the sound of ball hitting bat for some reason. Hears like a.... table tennis smash type 'pop' sound

And the minuses :
- BRUTUALLY HARD. You will cry.
- AI will punish your puny bowling and laugh at your weak deliveries as it chucks them all over the meadow
- dispense the 3,654 memorizer button combos and use intelligence to understand inputs a la EA Cricket/International cricket
- no licensed players
- no commentary
- no replays
- umpire cheats for lbw not giving plumb decisions out
- no test match
- no simulate over/innings/match. Boo. I have a life.
- circa 2002 graphics albeit this isn't bothering me as much as I thought
- AI batsman follows the ball pitch after its selected sometimes even near the edge of the pitch. WTF ?
- bowling is a tad too tough to get the bowling marker in the right spot
- no timing displays, shot meters

(update 11/06/10) - After playing some more, noticed some more frustrations -
- ball doesn't always seem to pitch on the AI bowling marker. WTF ?
- My side fielders always move like snails and always throw way off the stumps. AI easily takes 3's even on Easy setting.
- AI chases VERY aggressively.
- the special deliveries are useless and not sure why the sudden arcadey feel of the game with those ball trails etc. That was stupid

On plus side
+ game feels more like real game. No more scoring 200 in 10 overs for me at least. And bowling opposition for 5 runs.
+ I played a very exhilarating match. I scored 75/4 in 10overs (IND v NZL). And NZL AI finished with 4 balls to spare at 77/6. I got them out with intelligently thought out bowling and that felt rewarding ( till the next ball at least )
+ Once you get a set batsman, its a little easier to hit the ball around
+ the Placement adjuster does seem to be working. You can actually place the ball
+ Playing in the nets and printing out the shot options does help. I take a quick look at the printout for the shot type and kinda pre-determine my shot. The Push, Slog and Loft keys also definitely change the strokeplay.
+ This is definitely a good base for the next iteration of the game. Hope it comes out soon

Final thoughts and rating -

Never thought I'd put a cricket game in the same league of Ninja Gaiden. *shudder*.
I thought cricket was a game where you hit every other ball for a six in video games and unleash your work frustrations scoring 300 in 10 overs.

Overall rating - 7.5/10

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
You're probably just having trouble with the control scheme. This game is too easy, me and many others can easily hit a 6 and 4 every ball, or at least we used to be able to when we were interested in this poor game.

No way is this even close to the difficulty of Demon's Souls or Ninja Gaiden.

I would say it is slightly harder than EA Cricket and Brian Lara Cricket up to 2007, but not by much. AC 09 and IC 10 are terrible in their own right, but they still beat this game.

A sequel is highly unlikely, as the game only sold a few thousand. I doubt Mindstorm even broke even.

fanirama

Associate Cricketer
That sucks. I would've liked to see CR2. I happen to like the game and its difficulty level.

Demons Souls is not tough for me now because I've kinda mastered it. I died only like 4-5 times overall (mostly my follies and mostly initially till I just 'got' it). But Ninja Gaiden truly was a pain. I gave up after a while because it just turns your fingers to jelly .

Perhaps you've also got the hang of this game so well you don't enjoy this game now. For me, its thankfully still fresh but yeah, I'm getting better. I scored almost 90 now in a 10 over game. I also try to play like the real game instead of attempting slogs every shot.

Also I enjoy International Cricket 2010 a lot as well. That is an excellent PS3 game. I am looking forward to their next version

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
That sucks. I would've liked to see CR2. I happen to like the game and its difficulty level.

Demons Souls is not tough for me now because I've kinda mastered it. I died only like 4-5 times overall (mostly my follies and mostly initially till I just 'got' it). But Ninja Gaiden truly was a pain. I gave up after a while because it just turns your fingers to jelly .

Perhaps you've also got the hang of this game so well you don't enjoy this game now. For me, its thankfully still fresh but yeah, I'm getting better. I scored almost 90 now in a 10 over game. I also try to play like the real game instead of attempting slogs every shot.

Also I enjoy International Cricket 2010 a lot as well. That is an excellent PS3 game. I am looking forward to their next version

Yeah, Ninja Gaiden is just wow... So difficult, and I'm definitely nowhere near your skill on Demon's Souls. This one took me a couple of weeks to master.

Technically, you could pretend like every cricket game is like the real game of cricket and play slightly slower. It should be that you cannot do so because it's too difficult.

I played a small bit of IC 10 at a mate's house... I may rent it, it seems OK for a few days, but I think it's in the same basket as this, it's just not good enough when there's so much more quality in the gaming universe these days.

fanirama

Associate Cricketer
Hooray, I finally won my first game. IND v ENG.

IND scored 107/5 off 10 overs and I managed to curtail them rather tensely for 97/5.

At times I felt the AI cheats by being super aggressive. 2 sixes off 2 balls and then I did a field change and next went for almost another six but the fielder caught it brilliantly running at the boundary. Thank god.

Overall a fun match.

Has anyone else been able to score around 6/over and manage to still bowl out the opposition ?

I must admit, I am enjoying bowling a lot in this game because it feels realistic. No other game did I ever bowl more than 5 overs combined ( and we're talking 6+ games here ) and here I have played nearly 20 matches now and bowled in all of them.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
The AI are way to aggresive all the time, hence it can be pretty easy to bowl them out. Mind you you'll only get catches and you may get a bowled or LBW if you use good special deliveries.

dancingmongoose

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think everyone felt that way at one stage. In may first game i was all out for 28 and lost by 100 to Zimbabwe of all teams. now i can hit 200 in 10 overs and bowl teams out for 11 :D

Params7

International Cricketer
Demon's Souls is easy when you realize the game will only punish you harshly for your foolish mistakes. When you think about each step you take and each attack move done, you'll be beating bosses on 1st try. Just don't mash buttons and always be on your toes. I played it last night after a while, got invaded in world 3-1 and beat the black phantom player easily.

Last edited:

ramiz_fahad

Club Cricketer
i am waiting for other company online cricket game.this CR game tottaly fail i wast my money to buy this game....now waiting for international cricket 2010 pc version....

P

pcfan123

Lol you'll be just as disappointed if you are looking to play online. IC10 does not work online.

ramiz_fahad

Club Cricketer
Lol you'll be just as disappointed if you are looking to play online. IC10 does not work online.

What reaily ??? i thought ICc 2010 online game.caz Ashes Also online game. :noway yes i am disappointed caz i love Cricket and i love this Cr game.but company i think run away...then there is no hope for online cricket game...

rishabhjain25

School Cricketer
AIs are pretty easy to be honest.

You should adjust your team performance points well. Like have 3-4 fielders with +7 or +10 points and make them either good catchers or good runners. Similarly for batting and bowling. I can get the AI out for less than 50 most of the times.

Users who are viewing this thread