Looking for a bit of inspiration....potential story

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Today, I live streamed a few sessions that I played. Nobody really watched (which is fine), but it did get my creative juices flowing for something I could use as part of a potential new story.

I've done video game stories before, I did one on Madden that spanned quite a long time and seemed fairly popular. I'm a writer by trade, so like doing this sort of thing. I always enjoy the interaction and seeing people invested in what is happening with each post.

The hardest part in starting is coming up with the idea for what you want to do. I'm happy to play as a team, or just a single player, created or real. I could continue the career I've already started and streamed earlier, providing some back story and go from there. I could just not do a story at all!

Just putting it out there to see if anyone has an idea that grabs me, something that might be interesting, get some posts and interaction. It could be that nobody is really interested in reading a cricket based story. Be good to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks guys!

D

Dutch

I set up a custom league over three divisions playing fc/odi and t20 matches as Wales, starting in the lowest league and working my way up.

There were 12 teams in each league If I remember : I had like 9 saves going because of the limits of the comp designer.

Abandonded it after a while because of frustrations with the game and beta testing.

I like that kind of story; I did match reports and background stories ; the thread is here somewhere.

Hope to pick it up again.

TekkogsSteve

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Play as Iceland in a custom wcq or world cup finals. Will be a challenge though

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Doing a story with a developing team isn't a bad idea. Lots to choose from with the sides in the game as well.

I've more experience doing a single player angle, writing from that player's perspective then either controlling just them in games, or the whole team. But just cos I've done that before doesn't mean I have to again.

Appreciate the replies already!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Here's your opening:

The county of Yorkshire has declared independence from the United Kingdom. The newly elected President, Geoffrey Boycott, has also stated that all Yorkshire born international cricketers will be released from contracts with other national sides and signed exclusively to Yorkshire's new national side, as they have been fast-tracked to international status.

passwordistaco

Panel of Selectors
Here's your opening:

The county of Yorkshire has declared independence from the United Kingdom. The newly elected President, Geoffrey Boycott, has also stated that all Yorkshire born international cricketers will be released from contracts with other national sides and signed exclusively to Yorkshire's new national side, as they have been fast-tracked to international status.
I would froth a scenario mode in a cricket game, much like what Shane Warne did but perhaps longer in the fact that it could take a season or so. Not sure what sort of rewards there could be, maybe additional skill points in career mode?

grkrama

National Board President
There's a village foreigners come and demand tax, the villager's captain then convince them to a game of cricket that if they win there is no tax and if they loose double tax.

Thus the match with the fate of village happens.;)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Here's your opening:

Since I am also from the greatest county that there is, this holds a very high level of appeal for me :)

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I once had a DBC14 career player called Offside Billy, who would only score on the offside. I decided he would announce himself on the world stage by scoring an offside only century on FC debut aged 16 with minimum stats.

I had to kill Billy and remake him an awful lot before he finally fulfilled his destiny. He then immediately retired from all cricket and never played again.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I once had a DBC14 career player called Offside Billy, who would only score on the offside. I decided he would announce himself on the world stage by scoring an offside only century on FC debut aged 16 with minimum stats.

I had to kill Billy and remake him an awful lot before he finally fulfilled his destiny. He then immediately retired from all cricket and never played again.

There is just too much to like about this post :-D

I think I'm stumbling on an idea that's forming in my head, aided by a lot of the posts in this thread so thank you to anyone who's contributed. I now need to think how I'd like to make that idea play out, and plan how and if the game can facilitate certain ideas I have, what I'd need to do myself manually, and ultimately stuff that just won't work.

It's amazing what you can fill your head with during a 90 minute commute to and from work!

Kevin S

Club Cricketer
There's a village foreigners come and demand tax, the villager's captain then convince them to a game of cricket that if they win there is no tax and if they loose double tax.

Thus the match with the fate of village happens.;)
The plot of 'Lagaan' :lol

TekkogsSteve

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I know you said you had an idea but I’ll throw another into the mix. Assume the role of Ed Smith (or any selector for a county or national team) and try to win by using his philosophy of “moneyball-ifying” cricket and picking teams based on their stats, might have to collect data manually but it would be really interesting

Users who are viewing this thread