M.S.Dhoni - The Movie

Earagav

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
M.S.Dhoni - The Movie

ESPN Cricinfo said:
If it is superheroes in Hollywood, it is sports biopics in India. After the stories of Olympic medal-winning boxer Mary Kom and legendary athlete Milkha Singh hit theatres, it is the turn of India's captain MS Dhoni.

MS Dhoni - the untold story is a biopic produced by Rhiti Sports, the company that manages Dhoni's commercial interests. The film, due to release in 2015, hopes to highlight Dhoni's life prior to becoming one of the most successful cricketers on the international circuit. It will be directed by Neeraj Pandey, who was at the helm of the acclaimed thriller A Wednesday. Sushant Singh Rajput, who is two films old and also has experience on the television circuit, plays the lead.

first-look-sushant-singh-rajput-as-m-s-dhoni-bollywood.jpg

Last edited:

Earagav

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
When and where can I pre order?
If you are not joking then listen.

When the team first approached Dhoni about the movie, he said he will permit them once he retires.
But I saw in a kannada news channel that he has given permission and even BCCI announced that Dhoni may be retiring after CWC15.

Maybe the film may start its progress then. I think so, not sure.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
OP: what is your opinion on this? You're asking for ours without providing your own which seems a little odd...

I've never been a big fan of sporting films TBH: especially when you just know that its going to glorify the guy and not show the negative sides of his career...

PokerAce

Banned
OP: what is your opinion on this? You're asking for ours without providing your own which seems a little odd...

I've never been a big fan of sporting films TBH: especially when you just know that its going to glorify the guy and not show the negative sides of his career...

By "negative side", I am guessing you mean the lows in his career.

All sports movies to have any dramatic angle at all, and to hit home with the viewers, focus a good deal on the lows. A film that starts on a high and keeps documenting just highs after highs, would be rather poor. Lows form a very very important part of any sports film or biopic.

Sure there is the mandatory glorification at the end, but along the way plenty of lows are covered, and I expect the film to follow a similar course.

Having said this would I watch the film, probably not, I am not into Bollywood films much, and even less into Biopics. Also I don't think the guy in the lead is a good choice. Needless to say the film will do well, because Dhoni is probably the biggest cricketing and sporting Icon in India after Sachin.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Its the trend right now to make biopics of sports persons who are still playing. First Mary Kom, now this one. More sports biopics for other Indian cricketers are queuing up in the pipeline (most likely upcoming one would be for Yuvraj Singh).

Sushant Singh Rajput (Bollywood actor) is the right guy for the role. He does have the MSD matching looks and personality. But the big thing here is the director, Neeraj Pandey. The guy made the cult classic "A Wednesday" and an excellent movie "Special Chabbis" (Special 26). His presence should make this movie worth the wait

PokerAce

Banned
Its the trend right now to make biopics of sports persons who are still playing. First Mary Kom, now this one. More sports biopics for other Indian cricketers are queuing up in the pipeline (most likely upcoming one would be for Yuvraj Singh).

Sushant Singh Rajput (Bollywood actor) is the right guy for the role. He does have the MSD matching looks and personality. But the big thing here is the director, Neeraj Pandey. The guy made the cult classic "A Wednesday" and an excellent movie "Special Chabbis" (Special 26). His presence should make this movie worth the wait

I would still disagree with Sushant Singh Rajput. MSD can be quite tough and determined when he needs to be. Sushant Singh is the happy romantic interest. He can play the nice guy MSD, but when it comes to the other sides of MSD's demeanor on the field.

However I am sure when the film is released we will find out.

grkrama

National Board President
Sushant Singh is the happy romantic interest. He can play the nice guy MSD, but when it comes to the other sides of MSD's demeanor on the field.

not many would have believed this guy in the centre

10ThingsIHateAboutYou_TheTamingOfTheShrew_WholeCast.jpg

could become this

Heath-Ledger-in-his-role-as-The-Joker-in-The-Dark-Knight.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1412007745][/DOUBLEPOST]will probably wait it out for reviews, wouldnt want another aston kutcher butchering jobs type biopic.

PokerAce

Banned
not many would have believed this guy in the centre

10ThingsIHateAboutYou_TheTamingOfTheShrew_WholeCast.jpg

could become this

Heath-Ledger-in-his-role-as-The-Joker-in-The-Dark-Knight.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1412007745][/DOUBLEPOST]will probably wait it out for reviews, wouldnt want another aston kutcher butchering jobs type biopic.

Haha, I agree, but we can't really say thats the norm.

Look I am saying right now I am not convinced and not many are (some clearly are), but hope the the Heath Ledger Joker level, stepping upto the plate in the role does take place.

As for the rest we will find out when the film is realeased, and lets hope for a good film.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think the biggest challenge will be handling of MSD the Captain - MSD's captaincy is just as big a part of his persona as his destructive batting, if not more. Since captaincy is a lot more about the mental aspect of the game, it will be interesting to see if the team can do justice to that

Also wondering how negatively or positively will they tackle the CSK-Srinivasan-Meyiappan angle. I am guessing it will mainly be positive since it has been approved by BCCI itself

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
CSK-Srinivasan-Meyiappan angle.

This is what I was trying to reference. They'll just ignore it; since its probably the darkest part of Dhoni's career and having a big BCCI-approved film talk about corruption in Indian cricket as part of its celebration of a good player would be... pretty remarkable.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
So after this, we will have a movie - 'An untold tale of a fast bowler - RP Singh!' :rolleyes It is still going to be same as this movie, Dhoni. i.e. an ordinary movie featuring a tale of an ordinary sportsman. Dhoni is nowhere near any legendary skippers to get him as an inspiring role model or an idol to learn something from.

Users who are viewing this thread