Your Cricket Manee's 2009/10 off season diary

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The progression and obsession of a talent!

While airing my views on fast bowling with the confidence of an expert but credentials of an amateur, it would be fair to estimate that I am a formidable bowler myself and perhaps I am, at the level at which I play. It all seems very simplistic to look at the path of an international seam bowler, perhaps having grown up in poverty, perhaps having grown up in relative wealth, the path remains similar. Having taken up cricket at a certain age, the bowler has ripped up sides and moved quickly up the ranks to first class cricket, where international honours awaited around the corner.

However, my story is a bit different. I am not an international seam bowler; I am a boy of 17 who occasionally takes the new ball for my club 2nd XI with occasional success ? I hope to improve, but perhaps professional cricket is a step or four too far.

I picked up cricket as soon I could walk and before I knew it, I was taking the new ball for the Kent U9 team. I was considered a tearaway quick, bowling at approximately 50mph and spearing the ball in from left arm around the wicket. I had reasonable success on the field, but off the field, I was living a nightmare. I?d always, up till then, considered myself relatively well off. However, the experience of playing with people who had been coached professionally since they had ceased breastfeeding, had the top gear equipment and behaved like the spoilt brats they were, was not an enjoyable one.

It was then that my original talent began to peter out; my pace stagnated and although I remained quick by school and junior district standards, I fell out of the Kent setup. By the time I was 11 and in senior school, I was an average opening bowler and was no longer the skinny tearaway but a very podgy medium paced bowler who was getting consistent notices from the school coach to take fitness seriously and lose some weight.

Several months of running later, I had shed my excess weight but my performances seriously started to drop - each wicket was few and fair apart. My problems were exasperated by a succession of rather painful back and side strains. Whether it was stubbornness or idiocy, I was not sure, but I continued to play on and was reduced to some embarrassingly slow bowling lest I feel a horrendous burning pain in my lower back a few moments after delivery.

Luckily, by the time I was 15, it neither pained nor burned to deliver a ball in anger. My obsession with fast bowling developed, and it became apparent that there was a leak in my bowling action. My bowling action remained relatively textbook until release, where the ball would slip out of the left side of my hand, floating relatively harmlessly toward the batsman, albeit with some pretty significant outswing. I realised that this was not the path which I wished to partake in. Having remodelled my action, I was now 16 and a seam bowler at 60mph. The transition to seam bowler meant that the majority of my deliveries beat the bat and wickets were again few and fair between. My last season was in many ways, my most frustrating and in others my most fruitful. In club cricket, I had stagnated around the pitiful levels of club 3rd and 4th XI where the level of cricket is tremendously low and I remained at that level (albeit as a reasonably quick bowler, for the level, now) at the start of last season. I was now operating at around 65mph and had a far better control of accuracy than before. I?d realised that alterations to my action were not the way forward and that I should concentrate moreso on the areas in which I bowl. The start of the season (eight 3rd team games with just one wicket) proved frustrating, but eventually, I got a call up to my club 2nd XI due to a late pull out and got to take the new ball. That brought me an opportunity against batsmen good enough to catch the edge of deliveries which I got to deviate off the straight ? I ended up with 3/52 off 13 overs. Since then, I had remained in the 2nd XI and picked up a five wicket haul in my final game (my first ever). My confidence is now higher than before, as shown with far improved performances in the friendly games which occur on the Sundays throughout the season and midweek during school holidays. I now feel I know my bowling, know my action, and have a base to move forward upon - something I could not have ever said before.

I am determined to reach a good physical condition through some tough work in the gym combined with hard work at early winter net sessions?we?ll see how it goes?

A very interesting story, Manee. 50MPH at age 9! I would've been petrified if I had to have faced you at that age - I think I bowled about 35MPH at age 9. :D

Bowling is a tough art. Some days you might be bowling brilliantly but just can't get the wicket, and then the next you might be bowling poorly and get heaps of wickets.. it's this reason exactly why I have slowed down my action. I bowl right arm mediums now, but I hadn't been able to take any wickets for a long time - despite getting steady outswing and having a decent slower ball and off-cutter. However, in the past few games, I've tried to slow down completely and focus more on getting it in the good areas and getting a bit of outswing.

This might seem silly, but now I've found that the batsmen don't regard me as a threat. They are keen to go after me - but if I keep the ball in the right area it does result in more wickets. I get lots more catches and caught behinds from batsmen attacking me and it's paid off pretty well, despite me bowling pretty slowly (probably about the same pace as you in Under 9s :D)

Anyway.. good luck with your cricket.. that was an interesting read and I'm keen to see how you go.

Nah, not too flash at Hockey or Rugby, but will be netting a few times over the winter and will try to get in the gym a fair bit.

Good read, Manee. Great to see you improving heaps after getting dropped from the Kent U9s. Best of luck to your off-season mate.

By that I meant when you started losing form :p But yeah, sounds like you`re getting better and better every year.

I have a very professionally compiled weekly programme but I have chosen to build a base of strength (with some relatively informal bodyweight training) before embarking on that. I am quite weak, tbh and so the work I am currently doing my seem extremely lightweight and easy.

20/10/09
Just did 5 sets of 3 chin ups each.
Probably will do some boxing and press up work later on today, will edit this post if I do any more physical work today.

manee added 1 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

By that I meant when you started losing form :p But yeah, sounds like you`re getting better and better every year.

I do feel that despite my poor returns in the early 2009 season, I am feeling more in control of my bowling. I have a more controlled approach to the crease and feel I know my action more than before. But tbh, it was not so much the experience of getting dropped from Kent U9 but rather playing in that environment which I did not at all enjoy. A part of me did find it a relief to no longer have to play with those people as it really was not a pleasant experience at all for me.

Enjoyed the read manee, you really seem to know your stuff about fast bowling. Good luck with the gym work over the winter, I did quite a lot over the last 6-7 months myself and I've seen a huge improvement in my overall game, my speed seems to have come back to a very good level anyway.

If you don't mind me asking how tall are you, and how much do you weigh?

Enjoyed the read manee, you really seem to know your stuff about fast bowling. Good luck with the gym work over the winter, I did quite a lot over the last 6-7 months myself and I've seen a huge improvement in my overall game, my speed seems to have come back to a very good level anyway.

If you don't mind me asking how tall are you, and how much do you weigh?

5ft 9 (ish) and 11.5 stone (161lbs or 73kg).

22/10/09
  • 5 sets of 3 chin ups. Less use of hip drive to drive me up and so I am working my upper body more.
  • 15 minutes of high intensity heavy bag boxing (left hand stance only).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread